Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2022 10:37:18 PM EDT
I picked up a Stoeger M3000 Freedom 12ga off of Buds Guns for under $600. The reviews all looked great on them!  I don't have a semi-auto shotgun, so I thought I would pick one up. The best thing is that the Stoeger catalog shows them coming with the oversized bolt charging handle, but not with the oversized bolt release, or the opened up loading port like was comes on the Stoeger M3K 3-gun shotguns.....and it came with all of that!  It's got ghost ring sights with the fiber optic "low light" front sight. The follower is a nice anodized red, and overall the gun looks great.....although I'm not sure I'm happy with the plastic sights on it, not sure how those would hold up if you ever dropped the gun?

The first thing I noticed when I picked it up is how light it is......it weight right at 6lbs. according to my scale....my H&R Pardner Pump Defender 12ga pump weights in at almost 8lbs....so this M3000 is quite a bit lighter!  

Right out of the box, I oiled it up, and ran a combination of 00 buck rounds thought it, with some cheap Walmart Federal bird shot rounds.  It ate everything without a single issue...around 200rnds total.  

The only thing that I don't like about it is that is kicks like a mule! The recoil is much worse than my Mossberg 500 pump and H&R Pardner pump..it's horrible! It really thumps you!  I thought the semi-auto shotguns were supposed to be a little on recoil?  

Any ideas on how to reduce he recoil on this thing? I really want to like it......but it isn't fun to shoot at all!

Link Posted: 3/28/2022 10:42:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a Stoeger M3000 I added a Nordic mag extension to and Extended bolt handle.  I believe the Inertia system has more felt kick like a recoil operated A5.  Gas shotguns are typically less felt kick.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 9:48:23 AM EDT
[#2]
I have 2 Benelli's, an M1 and a M2. They kicked more then I wanted and got a limbsaver butt pad and that has helped me a lot. You might want to look into it. The Limbsaver part number that fits the Stoeger 3000 is 10823. Here is a link to the butt pad chart.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 9:53:57 PM EDT
[#3]
The only way to reduce the felt recoil is to add weight. Just so happens Stoeger makes something just for the situation. I Can not comment how well it works however.

https://www.shopstoeger.com/recoil-reducers/33490
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 10:36:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 8:00:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The only way to reduce the felt recoil is to add weight. Just so happens Stoeger makes something just for the situation. I Can not comment how well it works however.

https://www.shopstoeger.com/recoil-reducers/33490
View Quote

I shoot a lot of those cheap "light" Walmart Federal birdshot rounds......sounds like with that you really need to shoot heavy stuff to keep the inertia system working reliably.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 5:22:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Simple physics. A light gun is going to have more felt recoil than a heavier gun. Action type can mitigate that to some degree, but it's not going to completely negate the weight issue.
Reducing felt recoil comes from slowing down the recoil, which spreads out the pulse, thus lowering the peak force.
Options:
1) A better (softer) recoil pad. The Limbsaver pad noted above is a big step up from the factory pad, and will certainly help.
2) Add weight. The Stoeger $60 recoil reducer linked above is simply a big chunk of steel that fits over the stock bolt to add weight. You needn't restrict yourself to heavy loads with it. Since the M3000 is a bit muzzle heavy, a little extra weight in the butt can help balance it out. You can go too far, however: too much and the gun becomes unbalanced and "clubby". Cheap bastards tend to opt for the 50 cent recoil reducer: a roll of pennies held in place with packing peanuts. You could also put a stack of washers over the stock bolt if you wanted to save $50.
2a) There are spring-loaded and mercury-filled "recoil reducers" that look like a steel or aluminum cylinder and fit inside the buttstock like the Stoeger one does. These rely on inertia to spread out the recoil pulse and thereby lower the peak force. They may or may not play well with the gun's inertia system. They generally don't come cheap, and opinions are mixed as to whether they actually help more than just a solid weight.
3) Make sure the gun fits you. Length of pull is a big one for recoil management; you might have to shorten the stock a touch.

You'll get the most benefit from a thick, soft recoil pad and enough weight in the buttstock to balance the gun.
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 12:28:55 AM EDT
[#7]
I've got a M1S90 and it was kicking more than I liked. After adding the limbsaver and reducing the LOP it felt much better.

I've got a torn rotator cuff so I really had to do something to reduce the shock wave going through the joint. I can now move the butt slightly into my chest to absorb some of the recoil.
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 12:55:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 12:56:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 1:01:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 1:02:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 1:34:52 AM EDT
[#12]
My sister has the M3000 and I used to have a Benelli M1 Tactical.  Very similar guns except the Benelli was obviously much nicer. Shooting them side by side, they were identical.  Both guns knocked the snot out of you with anything but light loads.  That's just the natural by product of an inertia driven system.  You just have to learn to accept it.  You don't have to like it but you gotta accept it.  

You could try a LimbSaver pad but it'll add a fair bit to your length of pull.  I have one on my Beowulf and it helps a lot but it has an adjustable stock so there's no downside.
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 1:49:44 PM EDT
[#13]
One think I don't like about the "new" M3000 Freedoms that come with the larger charging handle and larger slide release button......is that they stopped making the sights out of steel, and have went with some some of plastic/polymer.
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 2:05:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
One think I don't like about the "new" M3000 Freedoms that come with the larger charging handle and larger slide release button......is that they stopped making the sights out of steel, and have went with some some of plastic/polymer.
View Quote

So get the regular charging handle and swap it out. Odds are you can remove the screw and oversized slide release button and just use the regular button behind it.

Link Posted: 4/4/2022 10:22:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

So get the regular charging handle and swap it out. Odds are you can remove the screw and oversized slide release button and just use the regular button behind it.

View Quote

I WANT the oversized charging handle and slide release button....those are good things to have. I DON'T like the plastic sights they use now, instead of the steel ones the guns used to come with.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 4:31:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I WANT the oversized charging handle and slide release button....those are good things to have. I DON'T like the plastic sights they use now, instead of the steel ones the guns used to come with.
View Quote

My bad, i read your post incorrectly. Enjoy the shotgun.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 8:33:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Honestly try the weight I think you will be surprised. It will not affect functioning with low brass shells. I have weight in the back of my super sport performance center and all I shoot is bulk promo loads.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 11:00:58 PM EDT
[#18]
I bought the same shotgun back in November. The main problem is the factory “recoil pad”. And I use that term loosely. Mine was hard as a rock. There’s a good thread over on P-F.com that has a bunch of good info. I posted a bunch of pics (I go by “Lon” over there). I chopped the stock and added a limbsaver pad. This took the sting way out of the recoil.

Another option, which I’m in the process of going to, is to use an MOA Precision Magpul SGA adapter and then add a limbsaver Magpul pad to it.

I also switch out the recoil spring to help out with lighter loads.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 10:28:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I bought the same shotgun back in November. The main problem is the factory “recoil pad”. And I use that term loosely. Mine was hard as a rock. There’s a good thread over on P-F.com that has a bunch of good info. I posted a bunch of pics (I go by “Lon” over there). I chopped the stock and added a limbsaver pad. This took the sting way out of the recoil.

Another option, which I’m in the process of going to, is to use an MOA Precision Magpul SGA adapter and then add a limbsaver Magpul pad to it.

I also switch out the recoil spring to help out with lighter loads.
View Quote

Awesome! Thanks for the info, I will check that out. And yes, the factory recoil pad is hard as a rock!
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 4:42:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks for sharing that link and info @lonchaney ! I have a 24” M3000 and am getting the 18.5” pistol grip freedom model next weekend for HD so one of the first things I want to do is shorten the stock. If the OEM Compact stocks were available anywhere I’d simply go that route.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 10:10:38 PM EDT
[#21]
I fired my M3000 Tactical today w cheap birdshot and holy cow that solid rubber butt pad is useless! My 870 doesn’t hit that hard. I didn’t want to finish a mag tube of birdshot, can’t imagine shooting buck or slugs out of this thing. My 24” M3000 has a nice butt pad from the factory and is great to shoot.
I’m even more excited to get the Youth stock on it now so I can get a decent pad.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 6:40:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I fired my M3000 Tactical today w cheap birdshot and holy cow that solid rubber butt pad is useless! My 870 doesn’t hit that hard. I didn’t want to finish a mag tube of birdshot, can’t imagine shooting buck or slugs out of this thing. My 24” M3000 has a nice butt pad from the factory and is great to shoot.
I’m even more excited to get the Youth stock on it now so I can get a decent pad.
View Quote

You aren’t wrong. That pad sucked.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top