Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/27/2018 2:34:02 AM EDT
Can you post pics and info of your shorter than 12.5" 870 and what work was required to do it and who did the work.

I have an 870 sbs I'd like to cut down to 10"

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 9:19:22 AM EDT
[#1]
My 10" 870 came from Remington that way. I believe you need...
A barrel with the mounting lug closer to the rear
A magazine tube that is shorter
A forgrip that is shorter

I've heard Remington used to sell the mag tube and grip, but it seems like they have put the brakes on that. As for the factory barrel, good luck. They wouldn't even sell me the 14" for my gun. They said it is the MCS pattern and that all MCS parts are LE only, no matter what.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 2:18:00 PM EDT
[#2]
You can buy a factory 11" barrel here but it's expensive.  I have one for an SBS project I intend to do someday when I get some time.  The work will be making the mag tube shorter to match the mounting lug position on the barrel and modifying a forend.  The pic below shows this 11" barrel next to a standard 870 barrel.  The lug is almost exactly 2.5" closer to the receiver.  Mine is shown with the breacher removed.  You could cut the barrel right where the threads start and you have a 10" barrel.

Link Posted: 6/29/2018 8:53:34 AM EDT
[#3]
here is mine. It has a 7 inch barrel and did the work myself.

You have to cut the mag tube and re thread,
Remove the barrel support ring and silver soldier back in the correct location
Cut barrel
Cut the fore end tube and re thread
Modify fore end to fit tube

You could find a 870 Special Field. The magazine tube, fore-end and barrel support ring are 2 inches shorter than a standard 870.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 10:06:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You can buy a factory 11" barrel here but it's expensive.  I have one for an SBS project I intend to do someday when I get some time.  The work will be making the mag tube shorter to match the mounting lug position on the barrel and modifying a forend.  The pic below shows this 11" barrel next to a standard 870 barrel.  The lug is almost exactly 2.5" closer to the receiver.  Mine is shown with the breacher removed.  You could cut the barrel right where the threads start and you have a 10" barrel.

https://i.imgur.com/jZvJ8Nh.jpg
View Quote
Thanks for the heads up on the barrel a little expensive but its exactly what i need.

Quoted:

Cut barrel

https://i.imgur.com/0J0DLVo.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/AZmwtdE.jpg

You could find a 870 Special Field. The magazine tube, fore-end and barrel support ring are 2 inches shorter than a standard 870.
View Quote
Always loved your shotgun, looks mean as hell!  What end cap are you using?
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 7:06:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thanks for the heads up on the barrel a little expensive but its exactly what i need.

Always loved your shotgun, looks mean as hell!  What end cap are you using?
View Quote
I machined it from bar stock.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 5:59:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I machined it from bar stock.
View Quote
Nice
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 12:53:14 AM EDT
[#7]
@Donner_und_Blitzen

What is the thread size for the mag tube and the fore end tube?

Quoted:

Cut barrel

https://i.imgur.com/0J0DLVo.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/AZmwtdE.jpg

View Quote
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 8:13:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
@Donner_und_Blitzen

What is the thread size for the mag tube and the fore end tube?
View Quote
it is a 1.0 inch 12 pitch single lead square thread. I mounted the receiver in a 4 jaw chuck and a steady rest with a brass plug in the tube for support on a lathe and cut the threads. There are NO dies for square threads and must be cut with a single point.

The fore end tube is a 1.080 inch-32 thread.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 1:07:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Excellent info - thanks!

Quoted:

it is a 1.0 inch 12 pitch single lead square thread. I mounted the receiver in a 4 jaw chuck and a steady rest with a brass plug in the tube for support on a lathe and cut the threads. There are NO dies for square threads and must be cut with a single point.

The fore end tube is a 1.080 inch-32 thread.
View Quote
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top