Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2024 12:25:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: henryfrank]
I’m trying to get more details about the Gunprime exclusive special edition with the SF scope. It looks pretty neat, but was hoping someone had more info on the rifle this clone is based on. This is the best article I could find about the military rifle.

https://www.overtdefense.com/2023/03/09/austria-begins-issuing-upgraded-steyr-aug-rifles/

Some grouped questions:

1. Who are the units that this is being issued to? The article said Militia and Cadre Presence units, but is this just general infantry, or does it include special forces, motorized units, etc?

2. Why did Steyr design this configuration without a side rail on the receiver but add it back to the scope? Just seems odd as that appears to be the only difference on the receiver. What does it actually accomplish by putting the side rail on the scope vs on the receiver? Even the Aug A3 MII has the side rail on the receiver so why have this weird version without it for their military?

3. Is this model being issued to Austrian special forces, or are they sticking to their STG77 A2 Commandos, or is there going to be a mix? Considering how kitted out these are in the pics with SF optics, lasers and aimpoint micros I’d assume these are going to be used by SF since they are almost identical to the A2 commandos, but I couldn’t find any more info.

4. Why was this scope designed to be lower but then they issued all of them in the pics on risers? From my reading SF liked the lower height because they were primarily using it as a riser for their aimpoints . Do you think most military units will end up removing the riser once they are fielded?

5. In the pics it looked like the issued ones shown were all 20” barrels. I am assuming any SF units getting them would probably prefer to swap to 16” barrels (easy on the Aug), but is this a wrong assumption? Also, do they use 1/2-28 threads?

6. Does anyone know if military barrels are CL CHF, or have their military units moved to nitrided like the civi barrels here?

7. Between the gunprime exclusive and the actual military stg77 a1 mod there appear to be some differences like barrel length, bottom rail, optic riser, case deflector, and charging handle, but there might be more im missing. What other differences are there and Are any of these pieces available anywhere innthe usa?

Thank you for the info
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:11:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By henryfrank:
I’m trying to get more details about the Gunprime exclusive special edition with the SF scope. It looks pretty neat, but was hoping someone had more info on the rifle this clone is based on. This is the best article I could find about the military rifle.

https://www.overtdefense.com/2023/03/09/austria-begins-issuing-upgraded-steyr-aug-rifles/

Some grouped questions:

1. Who are the units that this is being issued to? The article said Militia and Cadre Presence units, but is this just general infantry, or does it include special forces, motorized units, etc?
According to the article some 14,000 models are being sent to the bundesheer. In the Austrian military the cadre presence is generally the full-time professional soldiers. The militia are the active reserve component. Like the US Army reserve or national guard. Then, not mentioned, you have the conscripts that do short time of service. According to the Austrian MOD website. The bundesheer has 14,000 cadre. And 25,000 militia. Could be lost in translation. But either all the new rifles are going to the cadre. Or it's a mixture of cadre and militia. No clue as to which specific type of units.

Now the special forces. They're Jagdkomando and Jaeger Battalions. They seem to be dumping their A2 commandos and going to flattop models. Videos detailing the A3M2.

2. Why did Steyr design this configuration without a side rail on the receiver but add it back to the scope? Just seems odd as that appears to be the only difference on the receiver. What does it actually accomplish by putting the side rail on the scope vs on the receiver? Even the Aug A3 MII has the side rail on the receiver so why have this weird version without it for their military?
No idea on their thinking. But a shot in the dark might be that back in the day the special boys attached laser/light modules on the side of the old A1 guns.  But I'm sure the A3M2 has the receiver side rail for their LLM.

3. Is this model being issued to Austrian special forces, or are they sticking to their STG77 A2 Commandos, or is there going to be a mix? Considering how kitted out these are in the pics with SF optics, lasers and aimpoint micros I’d assume these are going to be used by SF since they are almost identical to the A2 commandos, but I couldn’t find any more info.
Austrian SOF seem to be going to the A3M2. https://www.spartanat.com/2023/10/ein-neues-sturmgewehr-fuer-das-jagdkommando/

4. Why was this scope designed to be lower but then they issued all of them in the pics on risers? From my reading SF liked the lower height because they were primarily using it as a riser for their aimpoints . Do you think most military units will end up removing the riser once they are fielded?
No idea unfortunately. It is weird.

5. In the pics it looked like the issued ones shown were all 20” barrels. I am assuming any SF units getting them would probably prefer to swap to 16” barrels (easy on the Aug), but is this a wrong assumption? Also, do they use 1/2-28 threads?
No idea on threading. But see number 3.

6. Does anyone know if military barrels are CL CHF, or have their military units moved to nitrided like the civi barrels here?
No clue. I'd bet they're CL and CHF.

7. Between the gunprime exclusive and the actual military stg77 a1 mod there appear to be some differences like barrel length, bottom rail, optic riser, case deflector, and charging handle, but there might be more im missing. What other differences are there and Are any of these pieces available anywhere innthe usa?
Only thing I know that is readily available is the optic riser. It's on Steyr USA site. To be honest. Putting the scopes on the guns and selling them is just a way to put out something a bit new and sell some scopes.

Thank you for the info
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:18:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Jack_Flag:
View Quote

Thank you! That’s super helpful. Do you know if there are any places besides Steyr selling risers? I looked and $100 seems quite a lot for it from them for just a riser for an already expensive fixed optic. I know they have had blem/used sales in the past, do you think they would have one of those sometime? Also, anywhere else to find the right barrel or are they unobtainable you think?

Regarding the military units, that makes sense. It’s a shame they don’t provide more clarity on who these are going to and why the weird design choices regarding optic height and lack of side rail. Do you know if their SF ever use the same gear as their regular troop counterparts and some units that liked the A2 Kommando might be getting these, or is it official that all they are getting are the new MII?

Also, did steyr announce anything with regard to launching the a3 MII here in the states? It sounded like the MII config hasn’t been fully selected from that article so wonder how different that civi model will be compared to what SF actually gets. Might end up super unobtainable too like the green A2 kommando receiver and scope
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 3:56:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Another question too: what is the difference between charging handles? Why is one square whereas one looks more hook shaped? Does one do soemthing the other doesn’t?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top