Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/6/2018 10:01:15 PM EDT
Sten Mk2s parts kit build.
Wanted the keep the look of a Mk2s but didn't want to stamp the gun so kind of copied a TacSol style barrel.

Link Posted: 5/7/2018 12:22:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Very cool! The barrel sleeve is awesome, how did you attach it to the barrel?

What tools did you use to build it? I've been eyeing a build like this for ages but only have a drill press and angle grinder.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 4:00:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Hows it run?

How much welding is involved?
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 4:23:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Thats is awesome. Good job OP.

I say phase II of this should be integral suppressor.

How well dose it function?
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 5:17:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks pretty sweet! Good job!

Every time I see a Sten build I get excited and think I should do that, until I remember I'm VERY left eye dominant and these probably aren't the best LH guns.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 6:21:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Outstanding job OP!!!!
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 6:27:21 PM EDT
[#6]
So awesome!! Wondering how/where shroud is welded as well.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 10:17:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Very cool! The barrel sleeve is awesome, how did you attach it to the barrel?

What tools did you use to build it? I've been eyeing a build like this for ages but only have a drill press and angle grinder.
View Quote
Barrel sleeve was sourced from onlinemetals.com.
http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=21549&step=4&showunits=inches&id=250&top_cat=197
Took two flat fender washers and welded them together for the muzzle end.
Drilled and tapped the fender washers to 1/2x28 and thread them to the barrel. Then threaded my suppressor to the barrel to act as a centering device, slid the 1.625 tube over the suppressor's OD, and then tacked the shroud to the washers.
Took it all off, finished welding it out and ground the washers down to flush of the tubing.  
Thread it back on the barrel and permanently weld it to the barrel to make it 16" legal.

This is the barrel I used.
http://www.tacticalinc.com/sten-mk2-9mm-smg-barrel-br-choice-of-stock-or-threaded-p-7057.html

Main tools used was a hobbyist mig welder rig (flux core wire) and dremel tool. Rest of the tools were odds and ends; pliers, drill press, taps, etc.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 10:20:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Thats is awesome. Good job OP.

I say phase II of this should be integral suppressor.

How well dose it function?
View Quote
Shoots well so far but I've only put a box of 50 through it.
I wanted to avoid the integral suppressor because of the extra paperwork but wanted the look of the Mk2s, hence the faux suppressor / barrel shroud.
Had a Form 1 9mm suppressor already so I built the barrel shroud such that my suppressor would fit inside.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 10:21:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
So awesome!! Wondering how/where shroud is welded as well.
View Quote
Pinned and welded to the threaded muzzle.
Enough threads remain internally that I can still thread my suppressor to the barrel from inside the shroud.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 10:33:55 PM EDT
[#10]
That is well done, sir.  Beautiful build.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 10:48:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Looks great!!
Is it closed bolt now? How is that accomplished?
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 11:14:44 PM EDT
[#12]
nice work op.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 11:46:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Looks great!!
View Quote
Yeah, it’s closed bolt now.
Easiest way to convert is to buy a new bolt from Indianapolis Ordinance.
http://www.indianapolisordnance.com/sten_mk2.html
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 12:53:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Pinned and welded to the threaded muzzle.
Enough threads remain internally that I can still thread my suppressor to the barrel from inside the shroud.
View Quote
Very nice. Simple solutions are good!
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 1:01:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Can you build me one?   I'm no welder.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 3:09:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Can you build me one?   I'm no welder.
View Quote
I’m afraid the ATF would frown on that as I’m not a manufacturer.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 5:27:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I’m afraid the ATF would frown on that as I’m not a manufacturer.
View Quote
Yeah.  I've been wanting to do one of these builds for awhile, but never have taken the plunge.  This looks like a great way to avoid the SBR stamp.

Where did you source the barrel?  Is it the stock 8"?  How long is your suppressor?  I've got a Octane 45 HD that I believe is 8" long,
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 9:39:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Yeah.  I've been wanting to do one of these builds for awhile, but never have taken the plunge.  This looks like a great way to avoid the SBR stamp.

Where did you source the barrel?  Is it the stock 8"?  How long is your suppressor?  I've got a Octane 45 HD that I believe is 8" long,
View Quote
Barrel:
http://www.tacticalinc.com/sten-mk2-9mm-smg-barrel-br-choice-of-stock-or-threaded-p-7057.html

If your suppressor is 8” long you’ll wind up a little short. Need to be at least 8.5”-8.75” long to clear the barrel shroud at 16”.

I’d suggest getting a 16’ barrel and having it cut down to 9” to use your can.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 9:13:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Looks great!!
View Quote
Here is my video breakdown on my semi-auto
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YM1bYqYrkXY

What did you finish it with OP?
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 9:15:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Looks pretty sweet! Good job!

Every time I see a Sten build I get excited and think I should do that, until I remember I'm VERY left eye dominant and these probably aren't the best LH guns.
View Quote
I'm a lefty and I've built 3 and shoot them just fine.

Other than being a bit slow/awkward at mag changes, this gun has no disadvantage compared to any other gun. The dust cover makes a fine grip.

https://youtu.be/wagx8KnToCw
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 5:19:37 PM EDT
[#21]
I really wish someone would make one of these for under like, $800. Just can't see paying $1250 for a valk.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 9:46:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I really wish someone would make one of these for under like, $800. Just can't see paying $1250 for a valk.
View Quote
I agree with you but after doing it once I can understand why it would cost that much.
I would starve if I had to make a living selling these at $1250. Not that hard but the time would kill me.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 9:56:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Here are some close up pictures of the barrel and flash hider for those that had questions.

Link Posted: 5/14/2018 2:42:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I agree with you but after doing it once I can understand why it would cost that much.
I would starve if I had to make a living selling these at $1250. Not that hard but the time would kill me.
View Quote
I agree, for sure, but if you were making 1000 of them, you'd probably also have some tools/ fixtures to ease the process.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top