Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/12/2017 11:16:26 AM EDT
Barrel is 16.5" QPQ treated from Rhineland Arms.

Receiver is a Interarms Mark X receiver. Timney Mauser Featherweight Deluxe trigger. Stock is an old Bishop.

I'm semi familiar with wood working and have made a paintball stock years ago but it was amateur at best and had limited tools/skills then. If anybody has done a similar project as this thread I'd love to hear your advise.

I was also planning on removing 2-3" from the stock, to shorten it to 30-32" or so. Right now it's 36" With the shorter barrel I'd like a smaller carbine look with the full length mannlicher stock. Little rifle with a big bark.

Quick note on Timney, I had an old 6.5 Japanese Timney trigger with a Los Angeles address on the box. (1970s) I had no use for it so I sent it to Timney, they gave me a credit for the old trigger and I had to only pay the difference for the Featherweight trigger. Thank you Timney!

Added an ebony muzzle end and grip cap. Will replace the plastic butt plate with a Pachmayr XLT grind to fit pad.

I plan on removing the right handed cheek rest from the stock. I'm going to do that next as if I mess up on that then I didn't invest too much time on the stock. Start on the harder parts first, take your time, remove some wood, check to fit, remove a bit more, check to fit etc...

Anyway, here is the rifle so far, started the barrel channel.

[edit 2/24/18 Finished pic]

Attachment Attached File

by Flickr

by Flickr
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 5:01:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Rounded the ebony forend and removed the right sided cheek weld.

Reading from a Midway USA reviews on ebony, it shrinks. It was covered in wax and I removed the wax last month. I’m leaving the ebony slightly raised from the rest of the wood to allow shrinkage. Will post a pic this afternoon.

Here is the stock in original configuration and the following pic is the cheek rest removed.

Untitled by Flickr

Untitled by Flickr
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 7:15:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 9:25:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Got to ask, but why did you not go with something like 45 rapture instead.

Instead of the case being based off a 284 that get spendy real quick in the 450 bushmaster since donner case will be hard to find once the well dies up on the 450, the rapture is based off a 308 case isntead.
Note, 450 case is 1.7" with a .500" base, while the case length on the ratpure is 1.8"  with a .4703" base instead.

Hence you can pick up LC 308 once fired cases for around $80 1K to rim and for in 45 rapture, while current new star line brass in 450 bushmaster is $640 1K instead.

As for load data for the 45 rapture, you just use 460 s&w loading data, ending up the same speeds as the 450 Bushmaster.

And the best thing, since the 308 case/rapture from it is rimless as well, snap to get them to feed in a bolt action rifle.
Note, both use a .473-.010" bolt face, so mean no bolt face work for either off a 308 bolt face action.
View Quote
Price point for the barrel. 450 BM has been around for a while and I'm not too worried about brass price, I will pick up maybe 200-250 cases for the BM. Hornady has backed up the 450BM and Ruger are making rifles for the 450BM. I can cast and size down 458 bullets and i have 452 molds as well, and of course my 45 acp bullets.

Plus the 45 raptor recoil on a relatively light rifle.

Down the road, if the 45 raptor becomes more accessible I can always switch barrels.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 9:28:58 PM EDT
[#4]
by Flickr

by Flickr
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 4:10:06 PM EDT
[#5]
The action is 95% completed. I roughed up the area where the receiver will the bedding material will sit. Will strengthen the wood and improve accuracy for the free float barrel.

Flickr

Flickr

by Flickr
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 1:01:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Few weeks ago.

JFlickr

Thinned the forend to create more taper, cut the bolt handle and applied first coat of thinned Real Milk Paint dark tung oil (thinned with turpentine) According to Real Milk Paint thinned tung oil will capillary deeper into the stock. Another benefit of being cooler temp here is the oil takes longer to dry which will also give it more time to soak.

Flickr
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 2:27:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Very nice. Mannlicher style rifles have always appealed to me if done tastefully.
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 7:56:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 12:06:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Being that the barrel is threaded, and guessing for a can, does your can spin on and take up about the same amount of room in the end of the forearm as the thread protector.

I ask, since normally you want the threaded section of the barrel to end just in front of the forearm so you don't end up with any contact to the forearm from the can.

Also, so you don't get a major shift in POI between running a can and not, do a single imbed tension point to the barrel just before the threaded section  when you go to bed the action into the stock.

Hence Do the action imbed first with a credit card thickness shim just before the threaded part of the barrel so the barrel will free float in the stock forearm. Once that has set up, mill a 1" long and about 1/2" wide channel for the bedding tension point, then use about three shims worth of cards to pull the barrel sightly up as you do the tension inbed, which will have the tension point to the barrel from the forearm with about 1 credit card worth of shim in the end.  Your still going to have a slight shift in POI, but it will not be as major as the barrel free floating and then adding the can weight  to the barrel still free floating next instead.

Hell, truth be told, with the stock forearm as thin as it is, would just channel down the entire forearm to bed in a steel rod first*, which will really stiffen the forearm to start with.  Then with the forearm stiffen first, would add in the single point bedding afterwards.
* You already added the cap, but on the next go around, you can drill the channel in the forearm, glass in a steel rod, then the cap will hide the rod/glass/channel instead.
View Quote
Thanks for the info but I live in Cali and suppressors are illegal.

The barrel will be free floating but will be just barely above the stock. It looks like a mannlichter but will be free floating like a target rifle
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 3:09:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Still waiting on the headspace Gauges so I can’t install the front rear sights.

Headspace, final bed and solder front sight and she’s done!

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 2:23:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Installed rear sight. Taped front sight to get a feel.

Will solder once headspaced.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 3:10:24 PM EDT
[#12]
That looks very nice.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 3:34:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
That looks very nice.
View Quote
What he said, neat handy carbine.

How many rounds in the magazine??
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 5:49:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That looks very nice.

450 BM is based off of the .284 Win casing.

So i can get in 4.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 6:57:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/170028/01AA600E-9723-4403-BD93-80C1C05D5158-398772.JPG
View Quote
Cool project, and a really nice looking rifle.

Only question is why did you go with a threaded barrel if you can't put a suppressor on it?  Were you thinking of a muzzle brake at some point down the road?
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 9:02:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Only question is why did you go with a threaded barrel if you can't put a suppressor on it?  Were you thinking of a muzzle brake at some point down the road?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/170028/01AA600E-9723-4403-BD93-80C1C05D5158-398772.JPG

Rhineland Arms only had threaded barrels.

Hard to find muzzle devices (other than suppressors which are illegal
Here) in 3/4”x24 tpi.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 10:59:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Throw a flash can or linear comp on there.
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 12:20:05 PM EDT
[#18]
To help feeding for the 2.26” cartridge I soldered on a mini feed ramp on the lower magazine.

Used an old steel Leupold scope mount. I also cut down the follower. The longer original follower would nose dive the rounds.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 2:09:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Looks great!  The KAC SR-25's use a 3/4x24 thread pitch on their barrels and muzzle devices.  While you already have the end cap done, you could, in theory, pick up an M110 flash hider, bore it out for the .450, and alter the end cap to allow it to fit.  Just a thought if you wanted something on there.  I think the thread protector looks just fine.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 1:44:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Looks great!  The KAC SR-25's use a 3/4x24 thread pitch on their barrels and muzzle devices.  While you already have the end cap done, you could, in theory, pick up an M110 flash hider, bore it out for the .450, and alter the end cap to allow it to fit.  Just a thought if you wanted something on there.  I think the thread protector looks just fine.
View Quote
$163.

That’s more than the barrel.

Thanks for the heads up, maybe I’ll find one used.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 1:53:06 PM EDT
[#21]
They can be found as used take-off's for under $100.  The KAC newer style flash hiders can be found about $50.  Check out #16 in Genofromreno's WTS ad....

@rabidus

https://www.ar15.com/forums/equipment-exchange/Knights-Armament-KAC-SR25-Parts-M110-MK11-ACC-APR-Upper-Barrel-BCG-Gas-Block-Mags-MAMS/120-1710051/

Will likely need bored out a bit on a lathe.  Not sure what their overbore is but I doubt it's enough for a .45 cal bullet.  That's an easy fix though.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 8:03:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Finished her a few days ago. Go / No-Go Gauges we’re delayed 2 months so Project was put on hold.

Well, here it is! Installed sling swivels and soldered on front sight. Only had 1 FTF out of 60 rounds but the 450 BM is a short round and the receiver is a long action.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 10:50:44 PM EDT
[#23]
That's a good looking thumper.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 12:37:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Finished her a few days ago. Go / No-Go Gauges we’re delayed 2 months so Project was put on hold.

Well, here it is! Installed sling swivels and soldered on front sight. Only had 1 FTF out of 60 rounds but the 450 BM is a short round and the receiver is a long action.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/170028/8A29BC37-5080-421C-B932-1A01959F0E8C-457652.JPG
View Quote
That looks great!
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 8:52:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Great looking Rifle!
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 2:09:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Added a better pic

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 10:29:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Wait, all that and then you sold it?  What's next?
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 12:21:57 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yep.

Going to make a Savage Rascal look like a military rifle.

Bought it for my kid and after shooting it, I love it.
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 3:32:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Looking forward to the new thread!
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 12:56:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Yep.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep.

hell yeah! And I bought it! lol
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top