Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2021 9:04:59 AM EDT
I have a build that I have a PSA upper on with a 416R stainless barrel. I wanted stainless for a few reasons, but the brightness of its appearance sticks out like a sore thumb under all the black hardware.

Does anyone know of a good aftermarket powercoat that can hold up to the heat of the barrel without degrading? I was thinking of subduing its look somehow.

PT
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:18:35 AM EDT
[#1]
How about some high temp engine paint??
Cheap,quick,easy,done.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:37:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Norrells Moly Resin
Cerakote
GunKote
PTFE

Several options, dependant on price and whether you want DIY or services by another.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 8:22:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cheap,quick,easy,done.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 8:55:07 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a fire ring cover made of stainless and keep painting it with high temp black paint. Works for direct flame
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:04:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:08:12 AM EDT
[#6]
You can media blast it and it will look like a Noveske Afgan. Send it to me and I can cerakote/KG Gunkote it as well.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 4:10:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the ideas guys, I'm looking into some options. The hardest part will be setting something up to bake it so I don't fume the woman out of the house.

PT
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 8:40:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Rustoleum 7777 has worked for me on a few FAL barrels. If not that, stove paint.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:26:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Cheap,quick,easy,done.
View Quote

This is the answer you seek.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:39:36 PM EDT
[#10]
I like bead blasted.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:46:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I like bead blasted.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 7:37:27 PM EDT
[#12]
VHT Header Paint with Ceramic, from AutoZone or Advance Auto.
Cure in oven according to can directions.
This 16" SS 1/7 MRP barrel after 15 years has one (very) small chip in it from a concrete block falling on it.

I sent Tam shopping with enough money to keep her gone long enough.
She never even knew as there was no odor or anything.

Link Posted: 4/8/2021 4:52:56 PM EDT
[#13]
I used rustoleum brown grill paint , and cooked it on with about 5 mags through mine  It's held up fine
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 1:32:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
VHT Header Paint with Ceramic, from AutoZone or Advance Auto.
Cure in oven according to can directions.
This 16" SS 1/7 MRP barrel after 15 years has one (very) small chip in it from a concrete block falling on it.

I sent Tam shopping with enough money to keep her gone long enough.
She never even knew as there was no odor or anything.

https://i.imgur.com/kRiEoCT.jpg
View Quote

I've got a Wilson SS barrel I'm planning to darken too. I like the idea of the header paint with ceramic.

Did you do all 3 steps... prime, paint and clear coat?
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 6:16:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I've got a Wilson SS barrel I'm planning to darken too. I like the idea of the header paint with ceramic.

Did you do all 3 steps... prime, paint and clear coat?
View Quote

Nope, degrease, rough up with scotch-bright type pad, clean,  paint while barrel was warm (120 F), and bake in oven per can directions.
Spectacular results.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 3:14:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Nope, degrease, rough up with scotch-bright type pad, clean,  paint while barrel was warm (120 F), and bake in oven per can directions.
Spectacular results.
View Quote

The barrel is already bead blasted. Seems to be almost the same as applying Gunkote. Gunkote finishes haven't held up very well for me. Hopefully this will hold up better.

Have you tried it on a receiver?
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 12:51:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The barrel is already bead blasted. Seems to be almost the same as applying Gunkote. Gunkote finishes haven't held up very well for me. Hopefully this will hold up better.

Have you tried it on a receiver?
View Quote

I have not, might be a little thick for a receiver and I did spray it with the LMT gas block in place.
If you bake it per directions after spraying a light full coverage coat on a clean warm barrel you will not be disappointed with the results.
With the barrel bead blasted, I see zero reason to prime, just clean, heat up in the oven and clean again, then shoot (no pun intended) it warm.
Coat hangers make excellent stands (when bent into shape) so it is free standing on a cookie sheet, but remove the cotton from the barrel and tape from the chamber/extension/threads.
I actually baked the above MRP SS 16 barrel about an hour longer than recommended.
Turned the barrel extension where it is locked down by the MRP chassis a beautiful light gold.
And this barrel is second only to my SS 1/7 lightweight profile Krieger 16" Recon/OPS cut tube in accuracy and maintains consistency with a variety of bullet weights/loads.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 1:50:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I have not, might be a little thick for a receiver and I did spray it with the LMT gas block in place.
If you bake it per directions after spraying a light full coverage coat on a clean warm barrel you will not be disappointed with the results.
With the barrel bead blasted, I see zero reason to prime, just clean, heat up in the oven and clean again, then shoot (no pun intended) it warm.
Coat hangers make excellent stands (when bent into shape) so it is free standing on a cookie sheet, but remove the cotton from the barrel and tape from the chamber/extension/threads.
I actually baked the above MRP SS 16 barrel about an hour longer than recommended.
Turned the barrel extension where it is locked down by the MRP chassis a beautiful light gold.
And this barrel is second only to my SS 1/7 lightweight profile Krieger 16" Recon/OPS cut tube in accuracy and maintains consistency with a variety of bullet weights/loads.
View Quote

I just sprayed a Wilson barrel and gas block. Directions say 2 light coats and a medium coat. I thought I had laid it on pretty think, but after baking it, it thinned out on some of the edges.

The oven wouldn't adjust to 600F for the final bake, but the Weber held that temp nicely.

After it cooled I installed the gas tube as normal, but the paint finish came off with the pressure of electrical taped pliers when I tried to press it in. Used a drift punch instead to not mar it up any further. I haven't noticed GunKote coming off that easily.

I sprayed another coat of VHT to cover the scratches and will do the baking steps again after it dries. At least it's not silver anymore.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top