Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/18/2018 2:49:02 PM EDT
Over the last several years (like 10), my obsession with the FAL has sort of dwindled. Because of this I sold off my FAL rifles and kits due to lack of interest.

Now, years later, I would like to get a another shooter, but don't really want to build it. And with the scarcity and price of good receivers now, I have decided to buy a Springfield Armory SAR (most likely a 4800).

Unfortunately, I have limited knowledge of those rifles other than they were built by Imbel, have forged receivers and tend to be highly regarded.

I could really use some information /direction on the following:

1. My understanding is the SAR-48 and 4800 are virtually identical except for the ban features, correct?

2. I am assuming I need the appropriate number of US parts to de-ban? (FCG, PG, Piston, etc...)

3. What should I be looking to pay for a reasonably priced one?

4. Tips on what I should be looking for when purchasing?

5. Is the pinned muzzle device very difficult to remove?

Posted this on FAL Files as well, but any information would be greatly appreciated,

Thank you!
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 10:22:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Over the last several years (like 10), my obsession with the FAL has sort of dwindled. Because of this I sold off my FAL rifles and kits due to lack of interest.

Now, years later, I would like to get a another shooter, but don't really want to build it. And with the scarcity and price of good receivers now, I have decided to buy a Springfield Armory SAR (most likely a 4800).

Unfortunately, I have limited knowledge of those rifles other than they were built by Imbel, have forged receivers and tend to be highly regarded.

I could really use some information /direction on the following:

1. My understanding is the SAR-48 and 4800 are virtually identical except for the ban features, correct?

2. I am assuming I need the appropriate number of US parts to de-ban? (FCG, PG, Piston, etc...)

3. What should I be looking to pay for a reasonably priced one?

4. Tips on what I should be looking for when purchasing?

5. Is the pinned muzzle device very difficult to remove?

Posted this on FAL Files as well, but any information would be greatly appreciated,

Thank you!
View Quote
I'll do my best to answer all your questions.  I have an original SAR-48 and have friends with 4800s.

1)  Yes, you are correct.  They renamed them the 4800 after the 89 ban took effect.

2)  Also correct.

3)  Prices vary, but around $1500 to $1800 seems normal nowadays.

4)  If possible buy one that is all original and has not been monkeyed with.

5)  On the ones I have seen it was not pinned.  It just had a sort of thread protector over the original barrel threads.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 8:32:18 PM EDT
[#2]
If you look closely at the bulbus thread protector you may see a pin that holds it in place. I just put the barrel in a vice and twisted it off. I  would try drilling the pin out first.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 10:16:11 AM EDT
[#3]
My SAR-48 is the best FAL I've ever owned.

A factory built FAL like the 48 or 4800 is a great way to go !!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top