Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2019 3:08:08 PM EDT
I just saw a Springfield SAR-48 posted on another site. I think the seller is probably asking too much for it. Just 1600.00. IIRC Springfield stopped making these years ago.

Does anyone know anything about them? Are they parts kits guns with their own receivers or did they make everything themselves?
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 4:15:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Fair price
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 6:12:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Springfield didnt make anything other than the import permits.

Springfield contracted with Imbel in Brazil to make the guns for them.  The are forged Imbel receivers made in the Imbel factory will all Imbel parts.

The 48 is the preban version and the 4800 is the neutered thumbhole stock version.  I think they came into the country until the mid 90s when imports were finally cut off.
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 7:11:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Decent price for an Imbel FAL.
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 7:56:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Are they parts kits guns with their own receivers or did they make everything themselves?
View Quote
Neither.

Pre-89 100% Imbel manufactured rifle.
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 8:18:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 1:39:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Berry good rifle
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 1:22:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I have one along with an HB Israeli version. Neither are going anywhere.

They also had a version in 556 that took AR mags. I thought he was asking too much. Heavy but a neat variation.
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 6:31:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
HB Israeli version.
View Quote
I really wanted one of those, never found one at any sort of price I was willing and able to pay.

It has very limited utility other than as ballast for the gunsafe. Still wanted one though
Link Posted: 8/22/2019 6:30:20 AM EDT
[#9]
I have one, not for sale however.

Probably the finest FAL ever made.

$1600 ish is a decent price.

buy it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2019 3:33:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have one, not for sale however.

Probably the finest FAL ever made.

$1600 ish is a decent price.

buy it.
View Quote
Yep, some say they are even better than the original FN rifles.
Link Posted: 8/22/2019 5:43:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yep, some say they are even better than the original FN rifles.
View Quote
I wish they were Type 1 instead of Type 3 receivers. I know the Type 3 are stronger, but are a lot heavier.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 2:40:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I really wanted one of those, never found one at any sort of price I was willing and able to pay.

It has very limited utility other than as ballast for the gunsafe. Still wanted one though
View Quote
I love my FA SAR48!

Well...sure...it's hard to hold up...but fun!
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 3:01:25 PM EDT
[#13]
View Quote
FA would be a different situation with the HB version. Not a lot of point to them in semi really.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 3:05:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I wish they were Type 1 instead of Type 3 receivers. I know the Type 3 are stronger, but are a lot heavier.
View Quote
A handful of Springfield import "Paras" came in with Type 2 receivers...…...last one of those I saw for sale was 2500.00 almost 10 years ago.....and it sold instantly
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 6:18:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
A handful of Springfield import "Paras" came in with Type 2 receivers...…...last one of those I saw for sale was 2500.00 almost 10 years ago.....and it sold instantly
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

On IMBEL receivers?  Interesting.  From what I know, IMBEL stopped making the Type 2 in the early 1970s and switched to the Type 3.  Switched from Type 3 to Type 4 in the early 1980s (although they continued to forge them, despite the geometry changes made being to make them easier to cast; FN receivers of this type are cast).
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 6:20:01 PM EDT
[#16]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I love my FA SAR48!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kmZbU853NY
I've been wanting to shoot a FAL of any type on FA for a long time now.  I did get to shoot a G-3K on auto last month (both bursts and mag dumps), and I shot an M-14 on auto a long time ago in ROTC in college, so I'm curious to compare the FAL to them.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 6:21:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
FA would be a different situation with the HB version. Not a lot of point to them in semi really.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Especially since the lack of a safety sear creates risk when doing things like trying to bump fire or use a trigger burst device (of an OOB discharge, IIRC).
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 5:12:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I've been wanting to shoot a FAL of any type on FA for a long time now.  I did get to shoot a G-3K on auto last month (both bursts and mag dumps), and I shot an M-14 on auto a long time ago in ROTC in college, so I'm curious to compare the FAL to them.
View Quote
The first thing I did when I got the SAR48 was switch to a shorty 16" bbl.  That sucked and was pretty uncontrollable.

HB gear went straight back on!
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 7:08:13 PM EDT
[#19]
An NFA Heavy Barrel FAL is my grail gun......

Enjoy it for me please!!
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 7:50:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Enjoy it for me please!!
View Quote
This got me wondering if there are any transferrable FN DA1s out there.  7.62 NATO improved BAR that uses FAL mags.  Man, that would be sweet.
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 9:58:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Enjoy it for me please!!
View Quote
Old school join date...check.

Low post count...check.

You ever get down this way, hit me up, we'll go shoot it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 5:58:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Have family in GA so that might happen sometime
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 9:23:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Have family in GA so that might happen sometime
View Quote
Roger that.

That vid is at my property in White County...where da fam?
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 11:46:56 PM EDT
[#24]
My Aunt and Uncle live near Athens and I have a cousin just West of ATL.

Pretty country and warm wonderful people in GA !!
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 3:12:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
My Aunt and Uncle live near Athens and I have a cousin just West of ATL.

Pretty country and warm wonderful people in GA !!
View Quote
Let me know when you will be local.
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 1:33:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Will be a while but will be in touch thx
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 10:32:03 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 6:09:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
If you shot an M14 FA, then I can tell you the standard FAL is a little more controllable, but not by much. The Israeli heavy barrel reminded me of shooting a Colt Monitor with half again the cyclic rate.
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 3:20:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Yea, I screwed up and sold a SAR 48 Para, of all the guns I sold, that is the one I regretted the monument the cash was handed to me. I really, really wanted a SCAR17, now I have neither. I have a friend who has a SAR 4800, with almost everything to unnueter it. My question is, is the barrel threaded? I have not seen it in quite a while but we were talking a while back and he said he’d sell it to me for $1200.00, anyway I sort of remember it had some funky blocked out contraption on the barrel instead of the flash hider, it also seemed like it was pinned and welded. Is that correct and would it be as simple as grinding the weld, pulling the pin and unscrewing it? Is it worth it? I mean is $1200.00 a fair deal? Is it all Imbel like the 48 series?
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 10:20:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Yea, I screwed up and sold a SAR 48 Para, of all the guns I sold, that is the one I regretted the monument the cash was handed to me. I really, really wanted a SCAR17, now I have neither. I have a friend who has a SAR 4800, with almost everything to unnueter it. My question is, is the barrel threaded? I have not seen it in quite a while but we were talking a while back and he said he’d sell it to me for $1200.00, anyway I sort of remember it had some funky blocked out contraption on the barrel instead of the flash hider, it also seemed like it was pinned and welded. Is that correct and would it be as simple as grinding the weld, pulling the pin and unscrewing it? Is it worth it? I mean is $1200.00 a fair deal? Is it all Imbel like the 48 series?
View Quote
A lot of the 4800 guns came with the stock and flashhider in the box. That was before atf got picky
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 10:43:10 PM EDT
[#31]
$1200-1400 is probably fair market value. But it’s probably the cheapest full factory FAL you will find.
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 9:10:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Saw one locally in NoVa on Consignment for $2500 recently I'm sure it's gonna sit.
Link Posted: 12/3/2019 10:58:59 AM EDT
[#33]
I paid $1600 out the door for mine late last summer.

It was in almost unfired condition but without the box and misc items.

Virtually no wear anywhere inside or out.

I do shoot her but not very often.

It's pretty much the Queen of my collection of semi autos and a monument to my past addiction
to FALs.

The pic I posted somewhere above does not do my SAR-48 justice, so shiny and pretty.
I'll have to try and get a better pic.
Link Posted: 12/3/2019 11:40:27 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Saw one locally in NoVa on Consignment for $2500 recently I'm sure it's gonna sit.
View Quote
At that price, you are correct.
Link Posted: 12/5/2019 5:53:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
Recently sold a debanned 4800 for 1450.00 but it was in almost new condition.  My 4800 had the 'barrel weight' which was just a solid metal sort of A2 flashider looking thing.  It had a sideways pin welded on both sides at 6 o'clock at the rear.  Just ground most of it away and screwing it off (LH thread) popped the rest out, all that was left was a notch in the barrel behind the threads, new combo device covered it up.  I have read some are just pressed, there was no way to tell so I took a chance and started grinding and looking for the pin.  If it was pressed I would have split it off and had the barrel threaded.

I assume the 4800s are still imbel built, but I dont know for sure.  All I know is that butthole stock and fake flash hider are ugly :)
Link Posted: 12/5/2019 11:09:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Recently sold a debanned 4800 for 1450.00 but it was in almost new condition.  My 4800 had the 'barrel weight' which was just a solid metal sort of A2 flashider looking thing.  It had a sideways pin welded on both sides at 6 o'clock at the rear.  Just ground most of it away and screwing it off (LH thread) popped the rest out, all that was left was a notch in the barrel behind the threads, new combo device covered it up.  I have read some are just pressed, there was no way to tell so I took a chance and started grinding and looking for the pin.  If it was pressed I would have split it off and had the barrel threaded.

I assume the 4800s are still imbel built, but I dont know for sure.  All I know is that butthole stock and fake flash hider are ugly :)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same rifle. I think some where modified and the zeros added so they could get throught customs. Not sure how long or if they even continued to sell 4800 after that.
Link Posted: 12/6/2019 12:09:06 AM EDT
[#37]
That is correct. I had one that had the 00 stamped later. The barrel was threaded and it came with the acurising kit, which was a stock and grip. Great rifle, hated to sell it
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 12:05:41 PM EDT
[#38]
There's a SAR 48 on FAL Files going for $2k right now...

Sounds a little high, I think if it were closer to $1800 i'd grab it, mainly since i'm in the market for a FAL, and the only other option is a questionable quality DSA...
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 3:56:26 PM EDT
[#39]
If you have the 2K and want an amazing FAL you should pop on it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 11:43:08 AM EDT
[#40]
Ended up grabbing a LMT/DSA Para for less than the SAR 48 Bush...
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 2:54:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Friend has one that I've shot numerous times. Always swore if one came up at a great price I would buy it.

That said I own a DSA SBR that I love too. I think the SAR is just a different style that I always wanted but performs almost the same, so it's never been a high priority.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top