Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2023 8:52:39 PM EDT
Had never looked at Springfield M1As before until going into the gun store the other day. They had a Tanker and scout squad on the rack and after handling them, boy was I impressed. Weight was a lot less than I expected and the Tanker felt really nice.

Anyone here have one?

If so how’s the reliability and accuracy?
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 9:02:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: axl] [#1]
I do. Love the thing  . I bought it from a buddy a few months ago and he'd never fired it. I've put at least 200 of my reloads through it and its been flawless.  . For comparison I also have two M1s, a Springfield M1A, and a FAL.  The Tanker is the most fun to shoot and has less recoil than other .308s. Accuracy is the same.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 9:11:30 PM EDT
[#2]
the Tanker is a beast .   fun gun to shoot.  leave it as irons only and you should be able to hit steel out to 300.   pretty handy cruising around the ranch on a side by side
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 10:00:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By goatboy_k:
the Tanker is a beast .   fun gun to shoot.  leave it as irons only and you should be able to hit steel out to 300.   pretty handy cruising around the ranch on a side by side
View Quote

Kinda what I was thinking of using it for.

I was impressed at how well it felt.

Y’all experiencing good accuracy?

Link Posted: 3/30/2023 9:12:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Good enough
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 11:52:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Mine is a SOCOM 16, same rifle but with the addition of pic rail for optics.  It is a very handy 308 gas gun.
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 8:41:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Seven-Shooter] [#6]
Not quite an M1A Tanker, but I recently received back a rechambered .308 Garand that I sent off for the Mini-G treatment.  It's wonderfully handy now.

This is all to say that the Tanker was on my short list before I went through the trouble of lots of extra gunsmithing on a Garand, but I really didn't want to stock a different magazine pattern subject to state bans, and I might need to move to some of those states for work.  If that wasn't a consideration, I would've absolutely bought a Tanker or Scout, either of which would've been a sight cheaper.
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 8:52:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I’ve got one of the 1980 something Tanker Garands/clones. I can’t remember who made them but they were around for a few years in the mid 80’s. New finish and stock with rubber recoil pad. Actually shoots quite well.
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 7:01:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By bravo5two:
Mine is a SOCOM 16, same rifle but with the addition of pic rail for optics.  It is a very handy 308 gas gun.
View Quote

I got the 16 and got rid of the scout mount and handguard. I guess it's "Tanker-ish" now.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 9:40:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mlin] [#9]
Perfect 7.62 calssic American semiauto rifle if you shoot iron sight and don't need high power scope.

Another one converted SOCOM 16 to Tanker.

Link Posted: 4/12/2023 8:01:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Those above 2 are awesome. Do you guys keep the front sight? I've never liked it when handling.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 7:11:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By 03RN:
Those above 2 are awesome. Do you guys keep the front sight? I've never liked it when handling.
View Quote

Yes, I kept the front sight. All I did was a stock swap, lost the scout mount and handguard.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 8:21:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MallNinja531] [#12]
I have a socom 16 I swapped furniture on to look like a tanker (before the tanker model even came out actually). Love it. Very handy size and fun to shoot. The socom sights are a bit clunky, but just goofing around at the range I can hold right around 3" @100 groups. With tighter sights maybe a little better. I did lightly file the big tritium front sight so it's almost like a trapezoid shape. Makes the top a little narrower for a little more precision. Might try swapping the rear aperture to a smaller one eventually, but it's plenty serviceable as is.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 12:43:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By MallNinja531:
I have a socom 16 I swapped furniture on to look like a tanker (before the tanker model even came out actually). Love it. Very handy size and fun to shoot. The socom sights are a bit clunky, but just goofing around at the range I can hold right around 3" @100 groups. With tighter sights maybe a little better. I did lightly file the big tritium front sight so it's almost like a trapezoid shape. Makes the top a little narrower for a little more precision. Might try swapping the rear aperture to a smaller one eventually, but it's plenty serviceable as is.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/505993/IMG_20210223_192903046_jpg-2780650.JPG
View Quote

Like that wood up top.
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 7:35:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By swampfoxoutdoors:

Like that wood up top.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By swampfoxoutdoors:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/505993/IMG_20210223_192903046_jpg-2780650.JPG

Like that wood up top.

-she
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 11:30:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wookie1562] [#15]
Originally Posted By Wandering_Moses:

Yes, I kept the front sight. All I did was a stock swap, lost the scout mount and handguard.
View Quote

Bump for a new tanker owner just waiting shipping and FFL transfer

Any chance you kept that scout mount and handguard?

I'm considering adding something like an aimpoint H1 but I'm having difficulty locating any parts. As mentioned the tanker version does not come with rails but the socom16 version does.

ETA: I have found the handguard, but not sure what rail fits on there. https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/fb0723
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 3:59:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By wookie1562:

I'm considering adding something like an aimpoint H1 but I'm having difficulty locating any parts. As mentioned the tanker version does not come with rails but the socom16 version does.

ETA: I have found the handguard, but not sure what rail fits on there. https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/fb0723
View Quote

There's a rail assembly that clamps around the barrel. Take note: it will transfer heat directly to the optic. I'd go with a receiver-mounted rail or one that replaces the rear sight.
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 5:12:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By lew:

There's a rail assembly that clamps around the barrel. Take note: it will transfer heat directly to the optic. I'd go with a receiver-mounted rail or one that replaces the rear sight.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By lew:

Those appear to significantly raise the sightline. Everything is a tradeoff. I will have to shoot the rifle with irons for a bit and see how it feels.

Link Posted: 8/17/2023 9:14:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Seven-Shooter:
Not quite an M1A Tanker, but I recently received back a rechambered .308 Garand that I sent off for the Mini-G treatment.  It's wonderfully handy now.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/129976/184FA8FF-B0A9-446D-BA3B-8534A0ACD301-2735152.jpg

This is all to say that the Tanker was on my short list before I went through the trouble of lots of extra gunsmithing on a Garand, but I really didn't want to stock a different magazine pattern subject to state bans, and I might need to move to some of those states for work.  If that wasn't a consideration, I would've absolutely bought a Tanker or Scout, either of which would've been a sight cheaper.
View Quote

Or Shuff could have built you the same .308 Mini-G but in mag-fed form. As in using S.A. M1A or Checkmate M14 mags. 5-rd, 10-rd, or 20-rd.

10-rd detachable mags are usually legal in capacity-restrictive states.

The real difference between the S.A. M1A ‘Tanker’ and an 18.25” M1 Garand Tanker or a Shuff’s Mini-G is that the latter two are built on FORGED USGI receivers, whereas the S.A. Tanker uses a CAST receiver.

As the M1 Pros like to say, …. “Cast don’t last.”
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 9:21:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Nick_Adams:

Or Shuff could have built you the same .308 Mini-G but in mag-fed form. As in using S.A. M1A or Checkmate M14 mags. 5-rd, 10-rd, or 20-rd.

The real difference between the S.A. M1A 'Tanker' and an 18.25" M1 Garand Tanker or a Shuff's Mini-G is that the latter two are built on FORGED USGI receivers, whereas the S.A. Tanker uses a CAST receiver.

As the M1 Pros like to say,  . "Cast don't last."
View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/129976/184FA8FF-B0A9-446D-BA3B-8534A0ACD301-2735152.jpg

The real difference between the S.A. M1A 'Tanker' and an 18.25" M1 Garand Tanker or a Shuff's Mini-G is that the latter two are built on FORGED USGI receivers, whereas the S.A. Tanker uses a CAST receiver.

As the M1 Pros like to say,  . "Cast don't last."

Are there any documented issues of domestic cast receivers failing?

How about warranty cases with for example Springfield? They advertise lifetime warranty.
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 9:39:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: swampfoxoutdoors] [#20]
Cogburn makes a pretty cool optics mount.

https://cogburnarsenal.com/product/m1-m14-microprism-mount/
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 10:51:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Those appear to significantly raise the sightline. Everything is a tradeoff. I will have to shoot the rifle with irons for a bit and see how it feels.

https://www.badacetactical.com/cdn/shop/products/M1G-G3-MicroPrism-03_1024x1024.jpg?v=1658602952

Indeed, no free lunch. Midwest Gun Works makes a mount for the Vortex Venom that replaces the stripper clip guide, thereby putting the optic very low.

View Quote

View Quote

How many shooters are going to put the tens of thousands of rounds through it and get multiple barrels installed to even approach that limit?
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 7:48:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tsg68] [#22]
Get an M14.ca handguard mount instead of the Springfield mount.  It offers a lower mount without the heat transfer to the optic and you won’t need the plastic cut handguard which is fragile and needs to be relieved for accuracy anyway.

http://www.m14.ca/M14_M1A_SCOUT_HAND_GUARD_SHG.html
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 10:39:58 AM EDT
[#23]

The real difference between the S.A. M1A ‘Tanker’ and an 18.25” M1 Garand Tanker or a Shuff’s Mini-G is that the latter two are built on FORGED USGI receivers, whereas the S.A. Tanker uses a CAST receiver.

View All Quotes

Lol, my forged Springfield cracked. How many cast ones have you cracked?
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 9:45:35 PM EDT
[#24]

View All Quotes

Your pistol cracked?
Link Posted: 8/22/2023 5:13:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wookie1562] [#25]
Found this image in a previous archived thread. Unfortunately no details on mount manufacturer etc.

Anyone have clues what offset/cantilever MRO mount this is?

Attachment Attached File

https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/Low-mount-red-dots-on-a-M1a/6-525954/#i5542263

ETA- Found it:
https://www.brownells.com/optics/reflex-red-dot-sights/red-dot-mounts/trijicon-mro-low-qd-optic-mount/
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 8:07:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tsg68] [#26]

Your pistol cracked?
View Quote

His forged USGI M1 Garand cracked at the heel.
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 9:57:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By tsg68:

His forged USGI M1 Garand cracked at the heal.
View All Quotes

Your pistol cracked?

His forged USGI M1 Garand cracked at the heal.

That’s has happened, but it’s extremely rare unless it results from shooting non-spec M1 “safe” ammo, like ‘06 hunting ammo.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 10:21:02 AM EDT
[#28]

His forged USGI M1 Garand cracked at the heel.
View Quote

This

That’s has happened, but it’s extremely rare unless it results from shooting non-spec M1 “safe” ammo, like ‘06 hunting ammo.
View Quote

06 hunting ammo isnt cracking receivers anymore than anything else.

I'm not saying it's common either.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 8:15:03 AM EDT
[#29]
This not a "Tanker", but it's similar.  I just finished the stock and put it on.  Rebarreled Polytech, with 18 1/2" barrel. ProMag CQB stock, that's been modified to be legal here in my state. Butt stock is fixed, and a fin grip replaces the original grip.  Rattle can and blue tape tri color "desert" paint job. Chinese fake flash hider. GGG rail with SIG Romeo 5 red dot. I went to the low base after I took this photo.  Rail is cut to allow use of the irons.  Rifle weighs right at 9# 8oz as is, without sling.

Link Posted: 8/29/2023 9:25:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: m24shooter] [#30]

Another SOCOM-16. When I was looking at where to buy mine, I almost got the Tanker. I knew I wasn't going to use the OEM scout rail, so that difference didn't really bother me. But then PSA had their FoJu sale, and the price for a SOCOM just got too low to pass up so I grabbed that. I picked up this GI stock and honestly I loved the way it handled in that, and it looked stunning. The stock looked like it had practically no use or wear on it at all. Ultimately, I decided to pull the rifle out of the stock because I just didn't want to mess that up with using it and having it bang around a truck, out in the field, getting rained on, and everything else I intended to do with it. So it didn't stay in this configuration very long before I got a more practical stock.
I am seriously considering getting a Tanker model and putting this stock on it. But that might have to wait until after I get a Loaded model.
Stripped down to irons, maybe a micro RDS or even a micro ACOG in a conventional stock and especially the GI or walnut stock the rifle just feels right. It feels like it will leave you more than capable of doing anything you need it to do out to 300 yards without problem. Previously I kind of thought of my G3K clone as that rifle, but I'm kind of liking the SOCOM-16 or the Tanker version more in that role.

ETA: I really try not to get hung up on aesthetics, but the Tanker just looks too damn good. I am definitely of the opinion that the Tanker is quite capable of meeting your practical needs and still just looking like a damn nice rifle. Much like the shortened Garands.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 11:02:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Saber329] [#31]
Originally Posted By m24shooter:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/18486/IMG_4395-2900551.jpg
Another SOCOM-16. When I was looking at where to buy mine, I almost got the Tanker. I knew I wasn't going to use the OEM scout rail, so that difference didn't really bother me. But then PSA had their FoJu sale, and the price for a SOCOM just got too low to pass up so I grabbed that. I picked up this GI stock and honestly I loved the way it handled in that, and it looked stunning. The stock looked like it had practically no use or wear on it at all. Ultimately, I decided to pull the rifle out of the stock because I just didn't want to mess that up with using it and having it bang around a truck, out in the field, getting rained on, and everything else I intended to do with it. So it didn't stay in this configuration very long before I got a more practical stock.
I am seriously considering getting a Tanker model and putting this stock on it. But that might have to wait until after I get a Loaded model.
Stripped down to irons, maybe a micro RDS or even a micro ACOG in a conventional stock and especially the GI or walnut stock the rifle just feels right. It feels like it will leave you more than capable of doing anything you need it to do out to 300 yards without problem. Previously I kind of thought of my G3K clone as that rifle, but I'm kind of liking the SOCOM-16 or the Tanker version more in that role.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/18486/IMG_4404-2902670.jpg
ETA: I really try not to get hung up on aesthetics, but the Tanker just looks too damn good. I am definitely of the opinion that the Tanker is quite capable of meeting your practical needs and still just looking like a damn nice rifle. Much like the shortened Garands.
View Quote

Nice, nice, nice! I love her in the original configuration (top pic).

Perhaps I missed it, but what mount are you using for optic in the bottom pic?
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 11:12:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Saber329:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By m24shooter:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/18486/IMG_4395-2900551.jpg
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/18486/IMG_4404-2902670.jpg

+1 and how's the cheek weld?

I have a scout handguard on order and I'm planning to use an aimpoint micro in a low mount on it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 11:37:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: m24shooter] [#33]

I have a scout handguard on order and I'm planning to use an aimpoint micro in a low mount on it.
View All Quotes

On that configuration with that MRO, it isn't bad. It's more of a jaw weld (maybe a more head up/high cheek weld), but with an MRO or similar it really isn't bad.
I went with the M14.CA handguard ultimately so I can put a light or DBAL on if I want.

That actually isn't the original configuration, the original was the SAI synthetic MCB pattern complete with the SOCOM scout rail up front.

The mount in that pic is the Bassett mount. It's a great little mount, and it puts the optic pretty low. However as a result it does not allow for use of the irons if that is something you want to factor in. This one is the low mount, but Bassett also makes a high mount that does allow you to use irons underneath the mount.
With the high mount, and possibly with the low mount if you have a more conventional optic you will probably want to use a cheek rest, which is going to make irons more difficult anyway without removing it.
I've actually switched that out for the M14.CA CASM mount, which gets the optic even lower, but it requires removing the rear irons. It does have a rudimentary peep sight built into the back of the sight body, think of this along the lines of the old ACOG TA01NSN BUIS (at best). I put the CASM mount on because I couldn't mount the MRO magnifier behind the MRO with the Bassett mount. The magnifier base didn't have enough clearance on the round of the Bassett mount to allow it to seat, which really disappointed me. I very much wanted that configuration on the rifle. I do have a Viper Gen IIE that I've debated putting on there, but that's a lot of additional weight.
The CASM lets me have the MRO on there, and the rail comes back far enough to be able to use the magnifier.
I have an ARMS 18 on the way. I'm going to look at using that, and then I need to figure out which mount ultimately is going to work best for what I want to do with this rifle.
This is where it currently is.

ETA:
Here are some pics of the Bassett and M14.CA CASM.

Here's the "rear sight" peep.

Link Posted: 8/30/2023 10:06:28 AM EDT
[#34]
Good info and thanks for the pics.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 1:16:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Found this image in a previous archived thread. Unfortunately no details on mount manufacturer etc.

Anyone have clues what offset/cantilever MRO mount this is?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/485930/D74BA6AB-77B7-4FCD-B2E5-8EB61C1BADB1-1559125.jpg
https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/Low-mount-red-dots-on-a-M1a/6-525954/#i5542263

ETA- Found it:
https://www.brownells.com/optics/reflex-red-dot-sights/red-dot-mounts/trijicon-mro-low-qd-optic-mount/
View Quote

Sorry for the late response, that’s my pic.  The mount was purchased before the company started making them that way.  I just used a dremil (I know…) and removed enough material to mount the MRO backwards.  Now that they make them that way no need to do that.  Anyway it’s sturdy and does not transfer heat that I can tell.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 1:18:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By 71jeepcj6:

Sorry for the late response, that's my pic.  The mount was purchased before the company started making them that way.  I just used a dremil (I know ) and removed enough material to mount the MRO backwards.  Now that they make them that way no need to do that.  Anyway it's sturdy and does not transfer heat that I can tell.
View Quote

Thanks for the info! I ended up ordering an M14.ca handguard and aimpoint micro. It's been 2 weeks and still no sign of the handguard
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 7:37:11 PM EDT
[#37]

Thanks for the info! I ended up ordering an M14.ca handguard and aimpoint micro. It's been 2 weeks and still no sign of the handguard
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 71jeepcj6:

Sorry for the late response, that's my pic.  The mount was purchased before the company started making them that way.  I just used a dremil (I know ) and removed enough material to mount the MRO backwards.  Now that they make them that way no need to do that.  Anyway it's sturdy and does not transfer heat that I can tell.

That sucks, but good thing coke to those who wait.   Hopefully
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 10:31:16 AM EDT
[#38]

View Quote

They are ssssssllllllllloooooooowwwwww on shipping. I think it was at least two and might have been three weeks before I got the ship notice on my stuff. I think my stuff took right at a month to get from the time I actually ordered.
When I emailed to ask about my order that was missing a rail section and Frank said that they weren't machining M14/M1A parts currently, and that he hoped to be doing so some time after New Years. He also said that he was moving his shop/business (this was right at the end of July). Hopefully they had a rail on hand when you ordered.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 7:37:52 PM EDT
[#39]

Link Posted: 9/27/2023 8:14:01 AM EDT
[#40]

View Quote

Looks identical to my Shuff’s 16.1” mag-fed Mini-G in .308. I ran the Schuster Mfg M1 muzzle brake for a while but then removed it and enjoyed the less-blastified shooting experience.

Tim @ Shuff’s can build a Mini-G in .308 either way, M1 clip-fed or mag-fed like an M1A (he recommends Checkmate 7.62/.308 mags).

I have both and unless you have some need to run a full 20-rd M1A mag, I’ve found the 8-rd clip-fed Mini to be a bit handier generally.
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 11:03:35 PM EDT
[#41]
https://i.imgur.com/l2IUiJh.png
View Quote

Who makes the railed piece? I've been on the fence but that may throw me off.
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 11:12:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By AbleArcher:

Who makes the railed piece? I've been on the fence but that may throw me off.
View Quote

That’s an M14.ca rail.  They’re about the lowest rail you can get. They’re nice.
Link Posted: 9/30/2023 6:31:48 AM EDT
[#43]

View Quote

https://i.imgur.com/l2IUiJh.png
View Quote
Those are both gorgeous.
Link Posted: 9/30/2023 6:43:56 AM EDT
[#44]
I had a Scout Squad 18” 15+ years ago.

Ended up putting a magnified optic and Sage stock system on it but didn’t like it as much as a bipod gun

Sold it off and went to a Larue OBR (which is still excellent)

I’d would eventually like to grab another and just add a red dot to it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2023 8:26:39 AM EDT
[#45]
Wish these were with in my price range, probably going to go the Mini G route. It does look like accuracy would be improved with a better set of iron sights maybe a NM non hooded rear aperture with a NM front sight.
Not to piss anyone off but red dots on M1A’s and M1’s just don’t look right.
Link Posted: 9/30/2023 6:09:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Ordered today.
Link Posted: 9/30/2023 10:04:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Ordered today.
View Quote
The m14.ca handguard? Buckle up for a long wait, you'll be happy though.
Link Posted: 9/30/2023 10:13:58 PM EDT
[#48]
View All Quotes
Ordered today.

The gun itself. I'll have to order the handguard tomorrow so I can get that in at some point.
Link Posted: 9/30/2023 10:18:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bigger_Hammer] [#49]
Originally Posted By goatboy_k:
View Quote

The M1A is one of the BEST iron sighted rifles period

Their irons are some of the BEST ever put on a rifle.

Using optics can be a problem, especially the side mount scope mounts.

Bigger_Hammer

Link Posted: 2/8/2024 10:31:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Having gotten my M1A Loaded sorted, and my SOCOM sorted, I ordered a Tanker. Couldn't put that off any longer.
Waiting for it to get here.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top