Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2024 7:21:22 PM EDT
Took the M1A Tanker out for its maiden voyage. Wasn't shooting for groups or distance, only checking function with the suppressor and velocities of a few loads. Suppressor is a YHM Resonator K, the gas lock adapter is a now defunct brand but you can get a SEI adapter.

Attachment Attached File

Currently has a Sadlock mag release and spring guide. I cross drill the gas spindle with a 1.3mm drill bit. You can also buy these if you don't want to mess with it. The gas spindle is hardened.
https://shootingsight.com/?product=drilled-m14-spindle-valve

Gas to the face wasn't bad, empties went 5-8 feet, was a pleasure to shoot and my favorite for the day.

For velocities:

FGMM 168gr was 2515fps

American Reloading MP540 43.5gr, 168gr Amax, 2.815 OAL was 2565fps.

American Reloading MP540 44.5gr, 168gr Amax, 2.835 OAL was 2680fps. I would stay under 44gr, and stay around 43.5 in the future.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 7:32:39 PM EDT
[#1]
That's really pretty. When you say gas to the face wasn't bad, how would it compare to a suppressed ar15?
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 8:03:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Voland:
That's really pretty. When you say gas to the face wasn't bad, how would it compare to a suppressed ar15?
View Quote

The problem with the ar15 is the design blows excess gas out of the bcg, and also ends up traveling down the charging handle channel directly to your face. It also depends on ammo, how the gun is setup, so this really becomes subjective, and also why some people have no issues while others whine and complain.

The perception whenever you ask on the Internet on how the M1A/M14 suppresses and they always say it sucks, and you get a lot of gas to the face. I was shooting strings of 5, maybe 1 every second or so and didn't have any of that. The spindle no doubt helps, it won't cycle without the suppressor. The nice thing about the cross drilled spindle is that you can rotate it 90 degrees for suppressed or unsuppressed shooting.

I'm happy with it, and was pleasantly surprised given what most people say. I know that doesn't answer your question very well or if at all, but I was expecting a lot of gas, gunpowder and watering eyes and none of that happened. Can't say I smelt it either.

I also shot a fal and a apc308 suppressed today and they were all great. I don't shoot ar's that much.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 8:28:20 PM EDT
[#3]
That’s an awesome setup! Love the whole thing!
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 12:59:21 AM EDT
[#4]
The regular Tanker never interested me. However, with that can, that's a very sharp-looking rifle.
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 10:55:47 AM EDT
[#5]
That is seriously cool
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 10:59:39 AM EDT
[#6]
I've been threatening to do this to my Socom16 for a long time. Cool rifle OP.
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 11:10:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Nick_Adams] [#7]
Originally Posted By yamahawarrior89:
Took the M1A Tanker out for its maiden voyage. Wasn't shooting for groups or distance, only checking function with the suppressor and velocities of a few loads. Suppressor is a YHM Resonator K, the gas lock adapter is a now defunct brand but you can get a SEI adapter.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/372855/IMG_20240203_151954398_HDR_compress33_jp-3117296.JPG

Currently has a Sadlock mag release and spring guide. I cross drill the gas spindle with a 1.3mm drill bit. You can also buy these if you don't want to mess with it. The gas spindle is hardened.
https://shootingsight.com/?product=drilled-m14-spindle-valve
Gas to the face wasn't bad, empties went 5-8 feet, was a pleasure to shoot and my favorite for the day.
For velocities:
FGMM 168gr was 2515fps
American Reloading MP540 43.5gr, 168gr Amax, 2.815 OAL was 2565fps.
American Reloading MP540 44.5gr, 168gr Amax, 2.835 OAL was 2680fps. I would stay under 44gr, and stay around 43.5 in the future.
View Quote

Nice!  …. Reminds me of the Johnny Strong set-up, put to good effect here against bad guys:

Daylight's End 2016 Street Shootout Vs Bandits 1
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 12:46:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Ooh, that's nice
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 3:07:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Nick_Adams:

Nice!  …. Reminds me of the Johnny Strong set-up, put to good effect here against bad guys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxd3jziqkAE
View Quote

Very fun movie. If I had a SOCOM, I'd be very tempted to clone that rifle.
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 3:13:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Get the breech cover from the blank firing adapter and the gas to the face is non existent
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 8:57:50 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a Resonator K and just picked up an M1a. Can you tell me about your muzzle setup? What Smith adapter are you referencing?
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 11:49:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: yamahawarrior89] [#12]
Originally Posted By NoahFN:
I have a Resonator K and just picked up an M1a. Can you tell me about your muzzle setup? What Smith adapter are you referencing?
View Quote

https://www.smithenterprise.com/product/pn-2001-gl-socom-16-gas-lock/

https://www.smithenterprise.com/product/pn-2002-735-735-suppressor-extension/

You'll need the gas lock and extension. You can get the socom gas lock from Fulton armory but it cost $20 more. The reason you need the extension is because the YHM muzzle device will interfere with the gas plug (just barely).

You can see the the difference below, I have a longer gas lock (from a now defunct company), and the SEI gas lock but I didn't use the extension. I had to grind just a little material off the gas plug to make it fit. I hate extensions with a passion and asked Ron at SEI to make his gas lock longer and that went about as well as a fart in church .

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/18/2024 9:14:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Cool OP. Me like.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 5:28:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NachoDip] [#14]
Suppressed M1As are fun. Mine…

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top