Link Posted: 4/5/2020 7:28:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
An internet source says,

Rust-Oleum, Dark Green 249322 Automotive Self Etching Primer Spray Paint,

I'll try that.
View Quote

A while ago I did a search and ordered a can of something that never arrived. Post results once you try it.

ETA That color part number on some sites says dark gray not green. Rustoleum’s site shows green.
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 8:00:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I worked at an auto parts store which mixed paint, they color matched my stock and I took the paint home in a pint can. They can also charge a spray paint can, too, runs about $30. Fast dry lacquer flat was what we used.

It did match the stock, however, the industry has a hard time matching each other altho there is a specific shade number they attempt to match. The grip is slightly different. The next issue is that as the paint ages, it changes - I top coated with spray Matte Clear which slows abrasion and wear on the high spots, but using the rifle, even carrying it all day, eventually puts on some wear. Some areas picked up soil, others are working down to the original black anodizing  -  which you do NOT sand off or you wind up with silver highlights. Anodizing is the method the industry uses as primer - storefront manufacturers specify it for their high wear entries.

So the rifle is picking up a mottled look and self camoflaging. Exactly as the krylon jobs in Afghanistan and Iraq did. Battle worn is better. Deer season I'm using ten shot Lancer or Pmags, the 20 and 28 round steel mags I bought will get painted lowers to match as it will ID them as my 6.8 mags.

Just check with an auto paint mixer and supply the piece which most closely matches. Keep in mind FG is weird when rendered by electronic media - background colors in my pics make it change from light bluish green to dark OD. Now add having someone else's color rendering on their display screen - how many different one over the generations? Hundreds - and you get some massive differences trying to match things up online. The electronics screw with it worse than different fabricators.
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 4:01:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I can't tell you what the right answer is, but I can say that Rustoleum Camo Deep Forest Green (248664) is a tad too dark.
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 7:00:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 10:24:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I ordered some, and then found out it is in stock at Lowe's. I'll report back when I know something.
View Quote

I think that’s one of the places that called it dark gray even though it was the correct part number. Advance Auto or Auto Zone had it too with the correct color description.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 9:39:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 12:46:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 12:47:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 3:43:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 6:11:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I found a can on Amazon. It arrived today and that number is dark green.

I put on a coat today. A B5 SOPMOD Bravo stock and two Magpul Gen 2 PMAGS. No primer or anything on the magazines, a previous coat of Rustoleum Army Green on the stock.

It covers black well. It is after all primer. I'm letting it dry now, but the first appearances look very promising. It looks very close to the Magpul Foliage green, and at this point is almost a perfect match for the BCM foliage. We'll see how it looks after drying all night.

View Quote

Link?
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 1:57:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Aervoe has a Foliage Green that is decent... It has a slight blue tone, but perhaps it was just the batch I received. Worth a shot?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top