Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/14/2021 8:00:54 PM EDT
I bought a TC rod. It fell apart, leaving a segment still stuck in the barrel. Frankly I think it's fermented chinesium garbage at this point.

The rod, that is. The rifle itself is pretty nice, T/C Hawken .50 that I may use to smack Bambi this fall if I can get a tag.

So, who makes a good rod?

(And how do I get the old rod out of the barrel when the near end is 2-3" short of the muzzle?)
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 9:11:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Is it loaded? I have a hydraulic hand pump that I would adapt to the nipple threads and push it out.
If the bore isn't sealed you will have to remove the breach plug.

Link Posted: 1/14/2021 10:12:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is it loaded? I have a hydraulic hand pump that I would adapt to the nipple threads and push it out.
If the bore isn't sealed you will have to remove the breach plug.

View Quote

Not loaded. At least I dodged that bullet. What's jammed is a cleaning patch on a jag.

The problem I think I have is that TC designed that breech plug specifically to not be removable, which brings me back to either really skinny pliers or your idea about a pump.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 11:25:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Make your own...

3/8" O.D. x .115 wall aluminum tubing https://www.mcmaster.com/4568T12
+
1/7" O.D. aluminum ball knob with 3/8-16" thread https://www.mcmaster.com/6940K52/
+
#10-32 tap
+
3/8"-16 thread die

Probably cost you about $50 with shipping assuming you have the tap and die.  The OD of the tubing is correct for the 3/8" thread for the knob and the ID is correct for the #10 tap.

Have you tried canned or compressed air down the nipple to free the patch and jag?
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:48:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:52:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Got the rod out (uh huh huh huh). I had some hemostats and was able to get it freed in seconds. After 2-3 days of forgetting that I had the hemostats sitting out in plain sight on my desk, that is.

So, thanks for the tip about the Creedmore ramrod. Got one on order now.

But that brings me to follow-up questions:

If I treat the bore with bore butter, do i just soak a patch in it after I finish cleaning the barrel, or is there another technique?

Also, the cleaning kit came with a tube of anti-seize. Is that for the nipple or for something else?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:11:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Regards to bore butter. Yes soak the patch and it will keep the inside coated .. its really good..

Just make sure the barrel is dry.. before you run the butter thru it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:19:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Got the rod out (uh huh huh huh). I had some hemostats and was able to get it freed in seconds. After 2-3 days of forgetting that I had the hemostats sitting out in plain sight on my desk, that is.

So, thanks for the tip about the Creedmore ramrod. Got one on order now.

But that brings me to follow-up questions:

If I treat the bore with bore butter, do i just soak a patch in it after I finish cleaning the barrel, or is there another technique?

Also, the cleaning kit came with a tube of anti-seize. Is that for the nipple or for something else?
View Quote

Anti-seize is used on removable breech plugs to keep them from becoming non-removable.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top