Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2018 11:29:38 AM EDT
I purchased 2 Garands recently (I don't have them, yet, so no pics).  One is a '43 SA, correct barrel, which I don't plan on shooting.  The other is a '55 SA, which I DO plan on shooting.  I've been researching for the past few days, but it's all a little overwhelming because there's so much out there.  I believe I have a copy of Duff's basic book somewhere, if I can find it.

A few questions:

- What do I need to get started, as in, what parts should I inspect and what am I looking for?  Do I need to buy any gauges?

- What are the most common rookie mistakes to avoid?

- Is S&B and Prvi M1 ammo still GTG?

- What's the best source for parts (I read the sticky, just looking for one place that has most of what I'll need)?

- What's the best source for USGI clips?

- Anything else?

I appreciate any help.  Like I said, it's a bit overwhelming and I'm trying to immerse myself in all of the info out there as best as I can, but these questions were kind of jumping out at me.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 11:38:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Has all the surplus ammo on clips dried up?   I have not looked for it in years since I bought a bunch when it was cheap.

I did end up with a bunch of Korean ammo too,shot at least 3 cans then this happened.  Still have a few cans of it too.   When this round let go in one of my SA garands, it pretty much destroyed the stock, but nothing else was harmed.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 12:15:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Check CMP's website for what, if any, ammo they have.  They used to sell Greek ammo in clips and bandoleers.  I still have a ton of it.

I wouldn't worry too much about gauges.  Just field-strip, clean and inspect.  Scott Duff's books are great to have.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 12:38:22 PM EDT
[#3]
You don't say? "Greek ammo in clips and bandoleers. I still have a ton of it."
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 1:04:41 PM EDT
[#4]
A few questions: ---Replied with answers.

- What do I need to get started, as in, what parts should I inspect and what am I looking for? Do I need to buy any gauges? --Reply: Go to this site and read everything: http://www.civilianmarksmanship.com/  As for tools, A lot of people get a "No Go" 30-06 headspace gauge (Preferably with clearance cutout for ejector pin) to check bolt headspace, and buy throat erosion, and muzzle wear gauges or combo gauge to check the wear and condition of the barrel at the throat and muzzle. Some people like to buy one of the old USG M1 combo tools and keep it in the buttstock, along with the actual USGI cleaning kit items. You will need the USGI combo tool or aftermarket tool to remove the gas cylinder screw, which is the lead item in disassembling the front components on the barrel. In a pinch a very large flat blade screwdriver can be used, but is more likely to bugger up the cross slot in the gas cylinder screw.

- What are the most common rookie mistakes to avoid? ---Reply: (1) Do not shoot any old 30-06 ammo in the rifle, especially do not use modern higher powered hunting rounds, damage can result. Also, learn to load the clip by pushing the clip down while keeping the side of your hand firmly against the op-rod handle. When the clip locks in the bolt may/will try to slam home and catch your thumb in it. And when pulling your hand away rotate the hand and fingers forward and up, not straight up. This lessens the change of bolt bite, known as "M1 Thumb".

- Is S&B and Prvi M1 ammo still GTG? ----Reply Yes, Both are fine. Greek HXP ammo is fine too, but its dirty, (Not corrosive) and results in more cleaning effort. Old surplus Danish Garand ammo is usually good too. South Korean surplus ammo is a mixed bag, IE: KA series is corrosive and has had some bad failures, PS series is non corrosive, but certain lots have been known to have bad failures, other lots have shot fine.

- What's the best source for parts (I read the sticky, just looking for one place that has most of what I'll need)? ---Reply: Several Good Sources:  Ammogarand.com, M1garand.com, Dupagetrading.com, Amherstdepot.com, and other private sellers. Sign up on the CMP forums, lots of private sellers there. The CMP sells some refinished USGI parts in their Estore. You can also try Sherluk.com for parts. Fulton Armory offers some good repro parts too. There are some other vendors that can be hit or miss.

- What's the best source for USGI clips? ----Reply: See above. and see what is offered by the CMP or by members on the CMP Forum.

- Anything else? --Reply: Check the recoil spring that is inside the op rod tube: If it is less than 19 1/4" long, has kinks or distortions in it, broken, or the round wire has flats on the outside replace it. M1Garand.com offers a high quality replacement. Also, check your rear sight, does it move cleanly, does the elevation knob make nice clean clicks when adjusted, does the windage knob have enough tension to keep it in place when you make click adjustments. If not you may need a new part or two. Also, by design, there is supposed to be a little bit of looseness in the front (forward) handguard. Don't try to tighten it to rigidity. The wood parts should be lightly cleaned and re-oiled periodically, and there are multiple methods for this, so read up and pick your poison.

HTH
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 1:35:48 PM EDT
[#5]
What do I need?

Another one
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 2:03:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What do I need?

Another one
View Quote
yep, they get lonely when alone. seriously though, a good cleaning kit, an aught 6 bore snake, and a small cup of Garand Grease. Remember to treat all foreign made ammo as corrosive. If you plan to fire commercial hunting rounds get an adjustable gas plug.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 3:14:49 PM EDT
[#7]
reloading gear. and a lot of components.

I have an adjustable gas block for mine so I can go a little easier on the old girl.

oh, and a 1907 sling
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 3:20:06 PM EDT
[#8]
I use my Garand Combination Tool all the time.  You can find vintage or repo on most sites like fleabay
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 5:11:29 PM EDT
[#9]
M1 Garand Owners Guide by Scott Duff.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 7:07:34 PM EDT
[#10]
If you need parts PM me. I can beat all those vendors prices
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 7:32:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Soon to be Garand Owner  - What do I need?
View Quote
Dude, ... got clips?  
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 8:03:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
M1 Garand Owners Guide by Scott Duff.
View Quote
I second that book suggestion.  Very informative read.
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 1:19:26 AM EDT
[#13]
The Garand Enblocs that CMP sells are good to go. buy yourself a can of lubriplate thats milspec for all your grease needs. Remember the Garand needs grease not oil. Get a new canvas sling. Get Duffs book. and enjoy one of the finest weapons ever made. welcome to the club.
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 7:47:36 AM EDT
[#14]
I found this very interesting when I came across it a few years back.

garand gear.com m1-garand-ammunition
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 5:00:50 PM EDT
[#15]
A sling from Ron Brown

Link Posted: 7/22/2018 6:18:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I found this very interesting when I came across it a few years back.

garand gear.com m1-garand-ammunition
View Quote
Ian and Karl at InRange TV did a review.

Review: Garand Gear M1 Gas Plug

I reload so it's not any issue for me,  but after watching their vid l would go with the Schuster unit if l were to get one.
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 9:55:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for all of the help!  I ordered a web sling, a new op rod spring, the Duff book, and some various GI enbloc clips from ammogarand.com.  Also ordered some Prvi and S&B M2 ammo - I ordered a Schuster gas plug from Fulton, just to be safe.  Looking forward to shooting it!
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 11:46:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Get a spring kit, and replace the springs.  You will thank me later.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top