Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/15/2019 7:33:33 PM EDT
Alright, so I have a .300BLK pistol with an 8.3" barrel.  I'm going to be reassembling it here shortly utilizing a "rifle" length PRI Gen III forearm and will be mounting my SiCo Hybrid partially recessed inside the handguard (about 4-5" will be underneath the handguard).

I had it assembled in this configuration previously and decided to move away from it to a shorter handguard because I wanted to be able to shoot the gun unsuppressed occasionally.

Anyways, to the question.

I'm transitioning over to a Griffin Taper mount adapter on my Hybrid (to cut length and weight).  I had the idea of picking up a Griffin "SiCo" Adapter (https://diversifiedmachine.us/product/griffin-adapter/) and blank "ASR" tube (https://diversifiedmachine.us/product/sico-asr-tube/) from Diversified Machine.  I figured I could mate the two together (with no endcap on the tube), and install it in place of the suppressor to get the muzzle blast out past the end of the handguard should I ever want to shoot unsuppressed.

My only worry is that I know the BATF is super picky about anything like this suppressing sound even in the slightest or even having suppressor "parts" lying around.  Theoretically, it is nothing different than an extended "flashcan" like those offered by KAK or Noveske or "blast deflector" from any suppressor manufacturer, but has anyone thought of or tried something like this for "recessed suppressor" upper setups?  Can anyone think of any legal issues that could arise from something like this?

Here’s a pic of the upper mounted to one of my SBR lowers for a visual.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 7:46:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't think so.  Asking for a friend who has same 300BLK AR pistol setup with a Tirant
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 8:40:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Doesn't sound like that would be any different from a fake suppressor you see on many different firearms, and those aren't regulated in any way.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 9:09:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I would say that as long as the blank asr tube isn’t threaded for an end cap, your gtg. I wouldn’t want to poke the bear and make the BATFE accuse you of having unregistered suppressor parts. As long as it looks as a flash can or the similar...gtg.

Disclaimer: I’m a nobody that posts on Arfcom. I’m not a lawyer. No, don’t go and write a letter asking the NFA branch for clarification.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 9:19:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't see why not.

The CZ carbine has a fake octane shroud that does the same thing I believe.

As long as there's no baffles or anything resembling such, you're good to go.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 10:38:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Very clever, OP.  Might steal that.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 10:46:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Griffin also makes this adapter in 17-4 stainless, to be available in February.  Taper might fit better than the DM copy in Ti.  You can probably get a Ti tube from Rusty with no front threads.

Another alternative would be the Griffin minimalist blast divertor for the Optimus with a 1.375" Ti tube from Rusty threaded to mate on one end.  But you wouldn't be able to use that to mount your Hybrid.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 11:33:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The CZ carbine has a fake octane shroud that does the same thing I believe.
View Quote
The cz carbine has a 16 inch barrel, the fake silencer extends backwards from the muzzle over the barrel.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 2:46:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Griffin also makes this adapter in 17-4 stainless, to be available in February.  Taper might fit better than the DM copy in Ti.  You can probably get a Ti tube from Rusty with no front threads.

Another alternative would be the Griffin minimalist blast divertor for the Optimus with a 1.375" Ti tube from Rusty threaded to mate on one end.  But you wouldn't be able to use that to mount your Hybrid.
View Quote
The idea was to just buy one of his “stock” ASR tubes and cut it to the length I need.  This will get rid of the end cap threads (negating any argument that I’m trying to build a suppressor) as well as keeping OAL as short as feasibly possible while unsuppressed.

I ordered one of his Ti Griffin adapters just to test out the mounting system and figure if I decide to stick with it, I’ll probably just buy the Griffin made adapter for my Hybrid and use the Ti adapter for this ASR tube idea.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 2:47:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Very clever, OP.  Might steal that.
View Quote
Thanks.  I’ll probably be trying this out pretty soon, so I’ll update with how it works out.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 2:21:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 1:29:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I was about to ask Howard about making 3” sections of tube that were threaded 1-3/8x? (Or whatever the Omega/Vox threads are), which would allow you to turn any of your mounts into a blast shield.

...but he turned his notice in on Monday.
View Quote
WHAT?

Did I miss something?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top