Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2022 9:10:33 PM EDT
I was cleaning up some in the gun/reloading room today and came across a box of some old reloading stuff I inherited from my grandpa. I thought you guys might like to see

From left to right a 10 gauge lee loader, some old 45acp dies and 12 gauge reloading equipment. The cleaning rod was old and cool so I included it in the picture.

Link Posted: 9/17/2022 9:21:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 9:30:52 PM EDT
[#2]
That's pretty cool, any idea how the 12 gauge reloading tools work?  Which tool is used for which step in the process?

My guess is:

The brown round thing next to the red thing would be for seating primers.

Next to it is a shot dipper?

Then the wooden knob/handle contraption looks like it would be for roll crimping for shotgun slugs ?
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 9:48:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's pretty cool, any idea how the 12 gauge reloading tools work?  Which tool is used for which step in the process?

My guess is:

The brown round thing next to the red thing would be for seating primers.

Next to it is a shot dipper?

Then the wooden knob/handle contraption looks like it would be for roll crimping for shotgun slugs ?
View Quote

I remember watching my grandpa using them but it was 35 years ago and I was young. From what I remember the round
brown  peace of wood is for removing the primer. The red ramrod and metal tube next to it is for loading the hull. The tool on the far right is for installing the new primer. And the contraption with the wood handle is indeed for roll crimping. If I remember he would roll crimp using a over shot card to keep everything in the hull.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 9:53:18 PM EDT
[#4]
The shot dipper is kind of cool its is adjustable and is marked on the side for the different amounts.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 10:51:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the explanation. Does the metal tube next to the red ramrod resize the brass head on the shell?  
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 12:10:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 12:55:49 AM EDT
[#7]
That cleaning rod is fantastic!
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 1:36:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Thanks for the explanation. Does the metal tube next to the red ramrod resize the brass head on the shell?  
View Quote

I took some more detailed pictures. For the life of me I can't find any spent hulls so I used a loaded shell.

I forgot the handle of the ramrod comes off to access the decaping pin. You remove the handle and place the shell on the round base and tap the primer out

Then you place the the shell in the priming tool and press a new primer in.

Then the metal cylinder slides over the shell and acts as a funnel you use the ramrod to pack everything in.

Then you would place a over shot card over the shot and roll crimp it. I believe it only works with paper hulls.

I've never used these tools and I could be wrong on the steps. If anyone has more information on using them I'd love to hear it.
I have some old paper shells I'll fire them off nextime I'm at the range and try my hand at reloading them using these tools. Should be fun.

Link Posted: 9/18/2022 2:34:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Those are desirable collectibles, and have special value to you as they came from your grandfather.

Thanks for sharing.
View Quote

They do have a very special value to me. He tought me to reload during the summers I spent with him when I was young. I eventually want to make a shadow box and display his stuff over my reloading bench. After he died and I took over all his reloading equipment I was going through some of his old reloading books and found the load development notes for his mk V weatherby. Honestly this paper is one of my prized possessions.

His rifle I'm very proud to own with 3 original boxes of ammo from when he got the gun.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 9:38:04 AM EDT
[#10]
That is awesome!
I have a lot of reloading supplies and tools from my grandfather as well. I also have his manual (his was the hornady first edition) and it still has all his hand written notes on the pages in it.
I have (and still use regularly) his texan shotshell loading press. I think of him every time I load some shells with it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 1:34:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 3:19:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Very cool OP.
As stated,  the notes are great especially about velocity ( good, OK, Very good! )
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 7:22:47 PM EDT
[#13]
OP, I am still amazed by the wooden cleaning rod.

There is a whole industry vested in making metallic rods which then have to be plastic coated so they do not damage the bore and then they cost $30.  Then again, you buy a short 22 caliber rod, a medium 30 cal rod,... Pretty soon, tou're into it for a hundred or two.

$1 and a trip to Home Depot will yield a close-fitting dowel rod in hardwood that will NOT damage the bore, no matter what.  Drill and tap a hole (or stud) to hold the brass jags and other fittings.  You can push it or better just pull it thru the bore - no bore guide needed.

Sometimes, what is old is new again.  My paradigm was just shifted.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 11:42:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

$1 and a trip to Home Depot will yield a close-fitting dowel rod in hardwood that will NOT damage the bore, no matter what.  Drill and tap a hole (or stud) to hold the brass jags and other fittings.  You can push it or better just pull it thru the bore - no bore guide needed.

View Quote
Just don't use a wooden dowel to try to drive out a squib in a revolver which means from the muzzle end, if it breaks, it's an expensive repair requiring removal of the barrel to drive it from the breech end.  Found out the hard way  Hence I bought the brass squib rod kit from Brownells
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 9:55:45 PM EDT
[#15]
How about this stuff?  I bought something off Marketplace, and the owner (she!) had to show me this stuff in a crate.  Someone was into Krags a century ago, still had a few pristine Krag parts wrapped in paper.  There was more, all of it had original boxes.  No, I did not offend her by offering to buy it, just told her what market prices were on some of it.

Link Posted: 9/19/2022 10:47:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
How about this stuff?  I bought something off Marketplace, and the owner (she!) had to show me this stuff in a crate.  Someone was into Krags a century ago, still had a few pristine Krag parts wrapped in paper.  There was more, all of it had original boxes.  No, I did not offend her by offering to buy it, just told her what market prices were on some of it.

http://i.imgur.com/tnCQ0ig.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/wRidCtG.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ci8R8ow.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/HyeQqiB.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/yWAK74O.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/QekzQdA.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/SXzF2lG.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/fTAwG6m.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/rTW8hnB.jpg
View Quote

The first 2 pictures, I have one just like it I bought at a gun show. Mine is for 38 s&w I intend to use it for my S&W victory but my wife bought me the lee dies along with 500 pieces of star line brass. No more trimming down 38 special for me
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 11:05:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 12:55:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Not tools but how about some components, also from my grandpa.
I've already gone through alot, this is what I have left. I'll probably burn through most but ill save one pack of 100 of each primer.

And some old NM 45acp brass circa 1960 ive loaded all 600 cases with old powder and primers. All go bang
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 1:07:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 1:56:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Just don't use a wooden dowel to try to drive out a squib in a revolver which means from the muzzle end, if it breaks, it's an expensive repair requiring removal of the barrel to drive it from the breech end.  Found out the hard way  Hence I bought the brass squib rod kit from Brownells
View Quote

Nope, not going to do that.

I am still fascinated with the wooden cleaning rod.  I looked for some sealed ball bearing to put in the handle, so the rod and brush can freely spin and follow the rifling.  

Sealed ball bearing of the proper size cost $0.60.  I may have some used bearings from a skateboard.  If you were really a skin flint, you could make one handle that fits many rods, each for a different caliber.

That brings the grand total up to $2.20 for a cleaning rod with a ball bearing handle.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 2:06:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/ZUCHDlil.jpg

3 generations of IMR-3031.

These '06's are loaded with the Dupont IMR-3031.
View Quote

Nice, did you buy them 2nd hand? I really wish we ( out in California) could find deals on older components. Every one here wants a arm or a leg for anything with some age.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 2:07:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Nope, not going to do that.

I am still fascinated with the wooden cleaning rod.  I looked for some sealed ball bearing to put in the handle, so the rod and brush can freely spin and follow the rifling.  

Sealed ball bearing of the proper size cost $0.60.  I may have some used bearings from a skateboard.  If you were really a skin flint, you could make one handle that fits many rods, each for a different caliber.

That brings the grand total up to $2.20 for a cleaning rod with a ball bearing handle.
View Quote

PM sent
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 11:29:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 12:02:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 4:02:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
So there I was walking around the funshow today and what did I spot?

https://i.imgur.com/wSsVbV8l.jpg

A nice 3 piece 12 Ga wood cleaning rod, was only $5.

I immediately thought of this thread, so here I am posting a pic of my find.

I found the old brush at another table for $1.

Yes old rod uses standard shotgun threads used today. I was pleased.
View Quote

Looks like the same rod I have. I use mine this past weekend to clean my model 97 (old gun old rod seemed fitting) anyway the new 12 gauge mops I have would only thread in half way, same wit the brush. I was afraid to force it in and cross thread it. The old patch holder and mop screw in just fine. I checked the threads they appeared to be the same. I wonder if the fact the new attachments appear to be aluminum and the old ones are brass have something to do with it.
Anyway nice score for 5 bucks
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 12:43:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top