Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/22/2023 3:42:44 PM EDT
Everywhere I have read has said that suppressing direct blowback pistols doesn’t make for a pleasant shooting experience.  After today I can see why.

I got my Allegheny arms barrels in today for my Beretta 81, 84.  And just like everyone said the port pop and I burned powder to the face was terrible.  It was also launching my 32acp brass a good 30ft.

However I wanted to see if putting the 32acp barrel in the 84 with a heavier recoil spring would tame the port pop and gas.  Sure enough it seemed to cut in in half and now my brass was only going about 15-20ft.

Since these are direct blowback guns I wasn’t using a piston but I thought I would try it and see if it helped.  I would say it cut the noise and gas down by about half again using the piston.  Not sure if this can damage a fixed barrel gun or not but since I was able to make this gun shoot so much better I thought I would share what I found.  Especially since the market just got flooded with these barrels after years of waiting.  Next I’m going to try different powders to try and get a little better performance.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/22/2023 3:52:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Dude, I’ve been on the waiting list for those barrels for like 6 years, and last time I called them they said it likely wasn’t happening. That was this year. WTF.
Link Posted: 8/22/2023 3:55:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/22/2023 3:58:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Dude, I’ve been on the waiting list for those barrels for like 6 years, and last time I called them they said it likely wasn’t happening. That was this year. WTF.
View Quote

They sent an email last week
Link Posted: 8/22/2023 4:21:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

They came out last week they still might have some.  If you didn’t get the email I would give them a call.
Link Posted: 8/22/2023 4:25:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yeah, at least with anything .380 & larger, and with some .32s.

I find our Beretta 81 pretty pleasant with our Cheetah model, but the .380 cal 84FS, PPK/S or CZ83 are obnoxious with any can.

It could, though the risk is pretty low with the small charge, low pressure and significant overbore of .32 ACP in a 9mm can.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Everywhere I have read has said that suppressing direct blowback pistols doesn’t make for a pleasant shooting experience.  After today I can see why.

Yeah, at least with anything .380 & larger, and with some .32s.

I find our Beretta 81 pretty pleasant with our Cheetah model, but the .380 cal 84FS, PPK/S or CZ83 are obnoxious with any can.

Quoted:Since these are direct blowback guns I wasn’t using a piston but I thought I would try it and see if it helped.  I would say it cut the noise and gas down by about half again using the piston.  Not sure if this can damage a fixed barrel gun or not but since I was able to make this gun shoot so much better I thought I would share what I found.

It could, though the risk is pretty low with the small charge, low pressure and significant overbore of .32 ACP in a 9mm can.

The beretta 84, 85 I shot today were miserable and I’m not sure I’ll shoot them suppresses much more unless I can correct some of the issues with different loads.  

Do you know what the damage running a piston on a fixed barrel could cause?  Just so I know what to look out for.
Link Posted: 8/22/2023 9:15:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I got my Allegheny arms barrels in today for my Beretta 81, 84.  And just like everyone said the port pop and I burned powder to the face was terrible.  It was also launching my 32acp brass a good 30ft.

However I wanted to see if putting the 32acp barrel in the 84 with a heavier recoil spring would tame the port pop and gas.  Sure enough it seemed to cut in in half and now my brass was only going about 15-20ft.

Since these are direct blowback guns I wasn’t using a piston but I thought I would try it and see if it helped.  I would say it cut the noise and gas down by about half again using the piston.  Not sure if this can damage a fixed barrel gun or not but since I was able to make this gun shoot so much better I thought I would share what I found.  Especially since the market just got flooded with these barrels after years of waiting.  Next I’m going to try different powders to try and get a little better performance.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/108802/IMG_4104_jpeg-2928584.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/108802/IMG_4105_jpeg-2928585.JPG
View Quote

Dayum. Is that a 36M? I thought mine looked rough, lol.
Link Posted: 8/22/2023 10:50:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Dayum. Is that a 36M? I thought mine looked rough, lol.
View Quote

I melted the finish off on the first day with only 40 rounds of 556.  I heard their coatings were bad but this was extra special.
Link Posted: 8/22/2023 10:58:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I melted the finish off on the first day with only 40 rounds of 556.  I heard their coatings were bad but this was extra special.
View Quote

I’ve got two and pretty much the same.. A couple of dumps broke em both in pretty good. Hella solid cans though.
Link Posted: 8/22/2023 11:25:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/22/2023 11:31:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quick update I reloaded just a few rounds to see if they were at least a little quieter and less gas.  I used a super heavy bullet and very light charge (Hornady 100gr, 1.5gr of bullseye).  

Definitely seemed quieter but more importantly I didn’t get pelted in the face with unburnt powder.  But it was pitch black so I couldn’t see how far the brass was getting thrown.  

This was on a beretta 81 recoil spring without a booster.  I with try the beretta 84 spring and booster to see if that helps later

Eta I bought an OCL lithium and I’m wondering if that will do better or worse?  At least it won’t feel like a lead brick hanging off of a small pistol.
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 1:43:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

They sent an email last week
View Quote

Quoted:

They came out last week they still might have some.  If you didn’t get the email I would give them a call.
View Quote

I called them up and the lady said that she didn’t have a number for Josh and that I should email him. Did that; we’ll see if he replies before they’re gone.
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 1:45:12 AM EDT
[#12]
……..
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 8:38:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Maybe a chamber ring delayed blowback mod would be in order. I believe Dr. Dater did this to some hosts. Not sure if can run unsuppressed after putting a micro "o-ring groove" somewhere mid-chamber.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/industry/chamber-ring-delayed-blow-back-9mm/682-279474/
View Quote
That's an interesting concept. Risky though. You'd easily ruin your barrel if you don't get it perfectly right.
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 9:09:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Depends on the gun!

Because your Beretta has an open top slide, it's going to spit a ton of crap out. My Colt 1903 on the other hand...actually really nice to shoot, imo.

I don't think I'd use a normal booster on a fixed-barrel gun (are those Berettas actually fixed barreled? I know the 92 is NOT, and should use a booster unless the can is ultra-light). All the pistol can manuals I have all say using a LID/booster on a fixed barrel gun may damage either the piston or the can and you should always use a fixed barrel spacer on them so the can doesn't yank out then back in unnecessarily. But, not an expert on the subject.

Anyway...I don't think it's the fixed barrel or can so much as the host you're trying to use that's killing it for you
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 10:16:09 AM EDT
[#15]
If you've got a .45 suppressor, that might be another option.
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 10:26:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 10:39:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I don't think I'd use a normal booster on a fixed-barrel gun (are those Berettas actually fixed barreled? I know the 92 is NOT, and should use a booster unless the can is ultra-light). All the pistol can manuals I have all say using a LID/booster on a fixed barrel gun may damage either the piston or the can and you should always use a fixed barrel spacer on them so the can doesn't yank out then back in unnecessarily. But, not an expert on the subject.
View Quote

It is a non-reciprocating barrel, and should not use a booster.

Quoted:

I just got the threaded .32 barrel for the 81. Planning to go shoot it today.  If blowback is an issue, is there a source for a heavier recoil spring?  Does the .380 actually have a heavier spring, or are they the same?
View Quote
I’ve been told, by Josh, that they are the same.
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 11:12:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Yeah, no blowback with this .45 can.
https://i.imgur.com/RHIMj8L.jpeg

I just got the threaded .32 barrel for the 81. Planning to go shoot it today (maybe with a slightly smaller can).  If blowback is an issue, is there a source for a heavier recoil spring?  Does the .380 actually have a heavier spring, or are they the same?
View Quote

I do have a bowers 50 lol
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 11:16:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

It is a non-reciprocating barrel, and should not use a booster.

I’ve been told, by Josh, that they are the same.
View Quote

You can swap a lot of the parts between the 81 and 84 but the recoil spring and rod are different diameters and my 84 and 85 recoil springs feel stuffer.  Also there was a noticeable difference in blowback between the two.  So if you have an 84 the 32 barrel will drop right in.  But you can’t drop a 84 recoil assembly into an 81.
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 11:21:43 AM EDT
[#20]
……..
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 11:35:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

You can swap a lot of the parts between the 81 and 84 but the recoil spring and rod are different diameters and my 84 and 85 recoil springs feel stuffer.  Also there was a noticeable difference in blowback between the two.  So if you have an 84 the 32 barrel will drop right in.  But you can’t drop a 84 recoil assembly into an 81.
View Quote

Interesting; thanks.
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 11:37:50 AM EDT
[#22]
……….
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 12:35:50 PM EDT
[#23]
View All Quotes

Interesting.
It has been a number of years since I last did it (like 15+) and my memory is a little vague. I can tell you that the ring must be smooth. As I recall, I used an O-ring internal grooving bit and rounded off the corners. It is only going .002-.003 deep.

Link Posted: 8/23/2023 2:57:09 PM EDT
[#24]
I am picking up a ZASTAVA M70 32ACP next week so this is very interesting.
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 3:53:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Next test lol
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 4:20:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Since the cat's nearly out of the bag, this is the barrel I'm alluding to in my thread How-hard-is-it-to-measure-thread-concentricity-to-the-bore with an 85 host.

I think I'll try it with a fixed spacer on my Griffin Revo 45 first, then decide if I want to try it with the Odessa...
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 9:42:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Well it looks like I can solve most of this problem via reloading for the 32acp.  I tried 20 rounds of Hornady 100gr xtp since that’s all I had at the moment over a tiny charge of bullseye 1.4gr.  It got rid of 99% of the unburnt powder to the face and was considerably quieter.   I was also running the 32acp barrel in my 84 with a stronger recoil spring.  100% reliable so far.

I mostly shoot cast bullets I just need to make cast some more of my 80gr and see if I can get the same results with a lighter bullet.  I’ll probably keep the powder charge the same.  

I think I’m going to try the same thing with the 380 barrel and use a small charge of n310 or n320
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 6:04:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Well if anyone is still following this thread I loaded some 100gr bullets an over 2.0gr of N310.  It solved the blowback of unburnt powder and some of the port pop.  I mostly just was concerned about not getting peppered in the face.  It’s hearing safe but not nearly as quite as my other pistols that aren’t fixed barrels.  

This load cycled with and without the can so I might try and go a little lower on the powder charge.  So my issues see to be solved for both guns now
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 6:30:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Well if anyone is still following this thread I loaded some 100gr bullets an over 2.0gr of N310.  It solved the blowback of unburnt powder and some of the port pop.  I mostly just was concerned about not getting peppered in the face.  It’s hearing safe but not nearly as quite as my other pistols that aren’t fixed barrels.  

This load cycled with and without the can so I might try and go a little lower on the powder charge.  So my issues see to be solved for both guns now
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/1/2023 1:32:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted: Dude, I’ve been on the waiting list for those barrels for like 6 years, and last time I called them they said it likely wasn’t happening. That was this year. WTF
View Quote

Man, I’m sorry. IDK which one of my guys told you that but I had a soft commitment on these since last summer and we locked everything in 100% after SHOT. Bottom line is, they’re here and we still have a few hundred left on this initial batch with another on the way before the end of the year.

Quoted: Maybe a chamber ring delayed blowback mod would be in order. I believe Dr. Dater did this to some hosts. Not sure if can run unsuppressed after putting a micro "o-ring groove" somewhere mid-chamber.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/industry/chamber-ring-delayed-blow-back-9mm/682-279474/
View Quote

It does work but the one I did as an experiment a few years ago pretty much wrecked the brass and generated a lot of brass shavings.

Quoted: You can swap a lot of the parts between the 81 and 84 but the recoil spring and rod are different diameters and my 84 and 85 recoil springs feel stuffer.  Also there was a noticeable difference in blowback between the two.  So if you have an 84 the 32 barrel will drop right in.  But you can’t drop a 84 recoil assembly into an 81.
View Quote

It’s not a difference in the caliber, it’s the difference in the generation of the gun. IIRC the B series increased the dia of the guide rod and spring weight. Within the same generations, the only parts differences are the barrel and mags (on the double stack guns).
You have to remember, there are six generations of Beretta 80 series out there now with in line changes throughout. Additionally, the Tisas Fatih while extremely similar to the Beretta, also uses a different recoil assembly. Your 84 is either a F or an FS and your 81 is a pre-B that has the smaller rod and spring.
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 12:58:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Man, I’m sorry. IDK which one of my guys told you that but I had a soft commitment on these since last summer and we locked everything in 100% after SHOT. Bottom line is, they’re here and we still have a few hundred left on this initial batch with another on the way before the end of the year.

It does work but the one I did as an experiment a few years ago pretty much wrecked the brass and generated a lot of brass shavings.

It’s not a difference in the caliber, it’s the difference in the generation of the gun. IIRC the B series increased the dia of the guide rod and spring weight. Within the same generations, the only parts differences are the barrel and mags (on the double stack guns).
You have to remember, there are six generations of Beretta 80 series out there now with in line changes throughout. Additionally, the Tisas Fatih while extremely similar to the Beretta, also uses a different recoil assembly. Your 84 is either a F or an FS and your 81 is a pre-B that has the smaller rod and spring.
View Quote

Thanks, I ordered 2.
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 6:31:23 PM EDT
[#32]

View Quote

Gotcha my 84 is a F.
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 7:28:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Does the Tisas Fatih run on Beretta mags?
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 9:12:05 PM EDT
[#34]
They do use the same mags although the floor plates are a different profile.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 7:30:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Shot mine today. Allegheny’s .32 theaded bbl in a 85f. Port pop didn’t seem bad, and it was surprisingly quiet, but I was wearing muffs, so take that with some salt. I did notice ejection port sparking, quite a bit, and I did get some powder to the face. Ammo used was 71gr FMJ PMC Bronze, and I had a full-length Odessa cranked onto it. A proper 007 rig; definitely one of my coolest setups.

Ok, so now for the problem: every few rounds, it’d stovepipe a live round. Why might that be?

Link Posted: 9/7/2023 7:34:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:  Shot mine today. Allegheny’s .32 theaded bbl in a 85f. Port pop didn’t seem bad, and it was surprisingly quiet, but I was wearing muffs, so take that with some salt. I did notice ejection port sparking, quite a bit, and I did get some powder to the face. Ammo used was 71gr FMJ PMC Bronze, and I had a full-length Odessa cranked onto it. A proper 007 rig; definitely one of my coolest setups.

Ok, so now for the problem: every few rounds, it’d stovepipe a live round. Why might that be?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/563710/71573024927__13C758F3-BDD6-4681-887D-0B3-2946131.jpg
View Quote

Too much backpressure making it open too fast, which causes the slide to slam back & close on the case before it makes it out of the ejection port?  My best guess, have you tried videoing your shooting w/ your phone set to maximum frames per second?

Also, given you can shorten your can, might take off half your baffles and see if the issue goes away.  Of course, will be louder.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 7:41:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Too much backpressure making it open too fast, which causes the slide to slam back & close on the case before it makes it out of the ejection port?  My best guess, have you tried videoing your shooting w/ your phone set to maximum frames per second?

Also, given you can shorten your can, might take off half your baffles and see if the issue goes away.  Of course, will be louder.
View Quote

Oh, the empties weren’t stovepiping… I think they might be in orbit because I never saw where they went. It was live rounds stovepiping.

Shortening it for the next test seems like a reasonable COA.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 8:08:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Oh, the empties weren’t stovepiping… I think they might be in orbit because I never saw where they went. It was live rounds stovepiping.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Too much backpressure making it open too fast, which causes the slide to slam back & close on the case before it makes it out of the ejection port?  My best guess, have you tried videoing your shooting w/ your phone set to maximum frames per second?

Yep, sorry, I misread.  Still, the slide might be moving too fast, meaning the bullet hits the feed ramp & bounces up too fast.  Getting a live round to stovepipe is a bit unusual.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 8:33:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Yep, sorry, I misread.  Still, the slide might be moving too fast, meaning the bullet hits the feed ramp & bounces up too fast.  Getting a live round to stovepipe is a bit unusual.
View Quote

Yeah, it did it with all 3 mags, too.

Other courses of action I’m considering, maybe in combination:

Handloading

Getting a new Cheetah slide and putting a heavy optic on it

Simply trying other ammo

Using a bigger 9mm can, like a MoD 9 3lug

Putting a Griffin taper mount on it and using a .458 MG7k

Handloading
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 12:09:50 AM EDT
[#40]
Go up 1-2# on the recoil spring as welll. I’d bet your slide velocity is too high and it’s kicking the rounds up the ramp too quickly. Friggin sweet looking set up!
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 4:23:58 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Go up 1-2# on the recoil spring as welll. I’d bet your slide velocity is too high and it’s kicking the rounds up the ramp too quickly. Friggin sweet looking set up!
View Quote

Thanks, where would you recommend I acquire one? I don’t see Cheetah spring upgrades on your site.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 6:48:10 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Thanks, where would you recommend I acquire one? I don’t see Cheetah spring upgrades on your site.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wolff Gunsprings?

Also don't forget your mag springs - your slide velocity is higher so your mags need to present the rounds quicker too. That could very well be a big part of the problem, depending on how tired your mag springs are in the first place. Short 1911s have a similar problem.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 1:06:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Wolff Gunsprings?

Also don't forget your mag springs - your slide velocity is higher so your mags need to present the rounds quicker too. That could very well be a big part of the problem, depending on how tired your mag springs are in the first place. Short 1911s have a similar problem.
View Quote

Thanks. Wolff has XP recoil springs for the 81 and 84…I’ll have to check my guide rod diameter to see if they’ll fit. They don’t have single-stack mag springs, though.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 3:23:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Thanks. Wolff has XP recoil springs for the 81 and 84…I’ll have to check my guide rod diameter to see if they’ll fit. They don’t have single-stack mag springs, though.
View Quote

The great thing about magsprings - most of them are universal

32acp? How many rounds does a mag hold?

Good chance that Colt 1903/1908 mag springs would work just fine..
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 8:08:39 PM EDT
[#45]
I just realized we were talking about an F/FS/X model so the Wolff springs won't work. I'm working on a solution now for XP springs for these newer guns.
Link Posted: 9/9/2023 12:10:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/9/2023 6:39:09 PM EDT
[#47]
I apologize for distracting the thread but I am not a fan of my Beretta 92fs sights and I think yours look much better.  What are they?  Do you need a different slide or do those somehow go onto the stock fixed sights?
Link Posted: 9/9/2023 7:00:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I apologize for distracting the thread but I am not a fan of my Beretta 92fs sights and I think yours look much better.  What are they?  Do you need a different slide or do those somehow go onto the stock fixed sights?
View Quote

In my case, Allegheny dovetailed my slide and upgraded the sights.

Might not work on a 92.
Link Posted: 9/9/2023 8:28:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 8:32:10 AM EDT
[#50]
Thank you both for the info on the sights.

Sorry for the side track to everyone else.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top