Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/6/2020 5:14:46 PM EDT
Sometimes we just can't help ourselves. We see & must have.

I'm not particularly versed in M1a rifles. Had a polytech & a Springfield before, but that's been many years & wasnt long for either.

I know exactly squat about a NM Springfield. I'm into this for a kit build & 3 bills, so around to much total. Was at a local shop who I'm friends with. I'm not really fond of scopes, so that may be sold for mags at some point. What kind of base load should I work up for this? M80, M118LR. I've got a bunch of lake city brass floating around.

So please school me on this thing.

Link Posted: 5/6/2020 5:55:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice one.   I’d start with 41.5 grains IMR 4895 behind 168 SMK that’s kinda the std match load and does real well in mine.  
I’ve got that same scope mount.  It went in a box and I bought an arms mount.   Much better mount.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 6:41:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Unless you don't have a 600 yard capable setup, I’d lose the scope and buy some mags. The irons on those are (IMO) awesome, so just shoot it like that. I have heard that the Springfield scope mounts aren’t as stable as Sadlak or .Mil mounts.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 6:57:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank ya. Probably gonna loose the scope.  They're just not my thing really. I've got that powder already. I use it for 7.62x54r. Will have to get the pills though.

What's the deal with the gas plug. I've not seen one like it before.  Not that I've looked at many.

Link Posted: 5/6/2020 7:01:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Mattgunguy:
Thank ya. Probably gonna loose the scope.  They're just not my thing really. I've got that powder already. I use it for 7.62x54r. Will have to get the pills though. 

What's the deal with the gas plug. I've not seen one like it before.  Not that I've looked at many. 

View Quote

Well, it definitely ain’t standard G.I. and it doesn’t look like the Schuster adjustable either, and that’s the limit of my knowledge.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 7:04:45 PM EDT
[#5]
How many other GI parts does it have? I think at that range SA got in a batch of GI parts so you may have gotten a nice one. Barrel looks civi though.

My youngest NM is 4 digit though so it's just a wee bit older then yours.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 9:49:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I've never seen a gas cylinder plug like that.  I'd like to see some more detailed pictures of it if you remove it.  Your rifle has a forged SAI bolt (the preferred SAI bolt, as their earlier bolts are not so swift), and an SAI op rod.  Not sure about any other parts, but I doubt if anything significant is USGI.  SAI's aluminum scope mounts have  a bad reputation.  If you plan to keep the scope, I would recommend either a Sadlak or Smith (SEI) scope mount.  The A.R.M.S. mounts are difficult to source, but they are among the lowest mount out there.  Hodgdon has Service Rifle load data for the .308 Win cartridge on their website; Hornady also has specific data.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 9:58:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Is that a medium or heavy contour barrel. Doesn't look like a standard one.

Both of mine have a Canadian Arsenal standard weight NM barrel.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 10:10:53 PM EDT
[#8]
I can tell you that your mount is not a very good one . When I bought mine in 2002 they had a ...deal... for a mount and scope .
It was a Springfield scope , but 6 x .
They both broke .
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 10:33:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Some more pictures.  Not keeping the scope. Not feeling it & I like irons anyway. Got it in the EE looking  for mags (shameless plug right there). I might have a stripper clip guide here somewhere I took off a polytech.  

Link Posted: 5/6/2020 11:48:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Some kind of weird bipod mount maybe?

Looking forward to an answer
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 12:00:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Some kind of weird bipod mount maybe?
View Quote
Yes, it appears to be a Versa-Pod adapter, but I've never seen that one before.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 12:22:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Yup. Just figured it out too. Happened to have a versa-pod in the crap catcher. Fits & locks on.

I question the utility of this setup.  Will post pictures tomorrow.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 5:15:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Yes, terrible setup in my opinion.  Different gas plug will be needed I think. Go with USGI, Schuster, or something else? Had a Schuster on an M1 Garand & liked it. Factory on the 2 M1a's I've briefly owned.

Link Posted: 5/7/2020 5:26:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Go with USGI, Schuster, or something else? Had a Schuster on an M1 Garand & liked it. Factory on the 2 M1a's I've briefly owned.
View Quote
USGI or repro.

No need to vent unless you're firing some hot 1,000 yard load.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 5:21:06 PM EDT
[#15]
You have a later rifle that was either rebarreled and bedded to Super Match standards or it came that way from Springfield Armory. My 28,XXX was made around 1982/1983.

I would not use that bipod mount, I don't believe the gas system is strong enough to hang part off the front like that. The GI bipod wrapped completely around the gas system spreading the weight out. That mount leverages on very fine threads.

That barrels is a heavy weight version, probably a Criterion or Douglas barrel which were used by many competitors and Springfield Armory on their match rifles. The bedding should be refreshed if it's original if you want to see what the rifle is capable of.

Lucky find if you ask me.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 5:36:40 PM EDT
[#16]
These are loads that work for me using Lake City 7.62x51mm brass. Winchester standard large rifle primers. 168 grain SMK's seated at 2.800":

40.0 to 40.5 grains of IMR-4895
40.5 to 41.0 grains of IMR-4064
43.0 grains of WW-748
40.5 grains of AA-2460
39.5 to 40.0 grains of H4895

Modern powders:
41.5 grains of VihtaVuori N150
41.0 grains of Varget
41.0 to 41.5 grains of RE-15
40.5 grains of VihtaVuori N140

Start lower, some of these loads are maximum with Winchester primers.
Weigh your empty unprimed brass. Lake City can weigh as much as 180 grains. These loads were developed in brass that averaged 179 grains empty and unprimed.

Do not use Federal Gold Medal Match primers in a M1 Garand or an M1-A, slam fired have been reported.

If you substitute CCI-200's, CCI-250's, Remington standard 9.5 or Russian large primers you can increase my powder charges .5 to a maximum of 1.0 grains. Again, the loads I posted are very close to maximum using Winchester (and probably CCI-#34) primers. I would test 1.0 whole grain lower to start. .5 grain powder increases maximum.

If you have a chronograph 2500 to 2550 fps is a safe and accurate velocity using 168's in Lake City brass.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 10:30:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Thank you for the info.  

Ive no intention of using that bipod. Just screams "bad idea".

Planning on going powder & pill shopping tomorrow.  Found some M80 ball I'd stashed away I'll play with this weekend. I typically use CCI primers. Still got a few thousand on hand. Got some Sierra something here somewhere I used for a Finnish M39 mosin which had a .308 bore. Just gotta find them. Been real happy with a Hornady ELD for my 6.5 carcano loading,  so I'll probably with those in .30 cal as well. I like test loads & haven't had the opportunity for it  in several years now.  So I'm looking forward to this.  

The scope & mount are off to a member here, for a number of mags. Got an email sent to Springfield Armory  for info on the rifle. So we shall see if they're forthcoming.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 12:07:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Rifleman_556:
Unless you don't have a 600 yard capable setup, I’d lose the scope and buy some mags. The irons on those are (IMO) awesome, so just shoot it like that. I have heard that the Springfield scope mounts aren’t as stable as Sadlak or .Mil mounts.
View Quote
agree
The Bassett one is primo.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 9:35:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By borderpatrol:
That barrels is a heavy weight version, probably a Criterion or Douglas barrel which were used by many competitors and Springfield Armory on their match rifles. The bedding should be refreshed if it's original if you want to see what the rifle is capable of.
View Quote

IIRC, the heavy-weight barrel was the same diameter after the oprod guide as before and required a unique oprod guide.  His barrel seems to taper down before the oprod guide, making it a medium-weight.  I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 10:26:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By borderpatrol:
These are loads that work for me using Lake City 7.62x51mm brass. Winchester standard large rifle primers. 168 grain SMK's seated at 2.800":

40.0 to 40.5 grains of IMR-4895
40.5 to 41.0 grains of IMR-4064
43.0 grains of WW-748
40.5 grains of AA-2460
39.5 to 40.0 grains of H4895

Modern powders:
41.5 grains of VihtaVuori N150
41.0 grains of Varget
41.0 to 41.5 grains of RE-15
40.5 grains of VihtaVuori N140

Start lower, some of these loads are maximum with Winchester primers.
Weigh your empty unprimed brass. Lake City can weigh as much as 180 grains. These loads were developed in brass that averaged 179 grains empty and unprimed. 

Do not use Federal Gold Medal Match primers in a M1 Garand or an M1-A, slam fired have been reported. 

If you substitute CCI-200's, CCI-250's, Remington standard 9.5 or Russian large primers you can increase my powder charges .5 to a maximum of 1.0 grains. Again, the loads I posted are very close to maximum using Winchester (and probably CCI-#34) primers. I would test 1.0 whole grain lower to start. .5 grain powder increases maximum.

If you have a chronograph 2500 to 2550 fps is a safe and accurate velocity using 168's in Lake City brass.
View Quote

Uniforming primer pockets I always thought was a sound idea on these.  Not for match accuracy reasons but to be certain your primer is below flush.   Just one more thing to help avoid that slam fire or even out of battery firing.

Edit......Op.   Nosler 168s used to be cheaper than Sierra 168s and not quite as consistent as the Sierras but the M1a won’t shoot so tight that you could really use the difference.

Just my personal experience.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 1:47:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By spartacus2002:

IIRC, the heavy-weight barrel was the same diameter after the oprod guide as before and required a unique oprod guide.  His barrel seems to taper down before the oprod guide, making it a medium-weight.  I could be wrong.
View Quote

you are correct, med wt barrel.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 1:51:05 PM EDT
[#22]
9822?
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 1:59:37 PM EDT
[#23]
OP if you email the serial number to SAI customer service and ask what model it was when it left the factory, they will tell you.  Or at least they used to.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 5:09:18 PM EDT
[#24]
I did contact Springfield Armory on Friday, heard back from them just a bit ago. Was factory made national match NA9802 in January 2003.

I'm debating on even keeping it. Beautiful rifle, & I'm kinda hard on things. Nor are there many chance for me to shoot out past 100yd around here. We've got 1000yd private ranges, but I cringe at the fees.

This is why I try not to be impulsive.  

Link Posted: 5/11/2020 5:30:30 PM EDT
[#25]
if you're looking for a challenge, and your eyes are still good, but you cannot shoot farther than at a 100 yard range, try shooting empty upright 308 brass at 25 yards (glue the base to a square of cardboard so you don't lose the brass).  IIRC, it is effectively the perceived size of a man-size target at 800yards.  

Doing that at 25 yards in the prone, with a sling, with iron sights, is a rush.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 7:37:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
USGI or repro.

View Quote
Or suppressed
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 5:05:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Or suppressed
View Quote
What's the need?

I'd rather use Smith's 2079 gas plug than a vented plug. Seems they work fine with a standard GI plug though.

Link Posted: 5/14/2020 12:09:39 PM EDT
[#28]
I'd just get a GI gas plug.  The aftermarket plugs are in general a solution in search of a problem.

Gotta wonder why someone would take a perfectly good match gun and clamp a shitty set of training wheels right onto the gas system.  ugh.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 3:26:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I'd just get a GI gas plug.  The aftermarket plugs are in general a solution in search of a problem.

Gotta wonder why someone would take a perfectly good match gun and clamp a shitty set of training wheels right onto the gas system.  ugh.
View Quote

Op rod failure is a real issue.

Relieving a little gas pressure to shoot a larger spectrum of ammo is never a bad idea.

Not everybody reloads.

There are less and less forged M1a parts coming out and will only get more expensive.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 4:56:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
USGI or repro.

View Quote

Or adding a can.

DSC_1634-M1A Schuster Plug by FredMan, on Flickr

DSC_1633-M1A Can by FredMan, on Flickr
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top