Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/26/2022 10:07:58 PM EDT
The most experience with 6.8SPC I have was getting several Boxes from an Estate and for a while it was a thing, but it and .224 Valkyrie (and some other I expect) have fallen by the wayside or have they?

Is anyone offering 6.8 complete uppers or is it a specialty? (read "expensive")
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 10:20:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I have never seen a 6.8SPC AR and I have spent a lot of time at the range.

224V is still alive but 6ARC is giving it a run for it's money.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 10:20:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The most experience with 6.8SPC I have was getting several Boxes from an Estate and for a while it was a thing, but it and .224 Valkyrie (and some other I expect) have fallen by the wayside or have they?

Is anyone offering 6.8 complete uppers or is it a specialty? (read "expensive")
View Quote

Lots of people offer uppers.  I do think it's a fringe cartridge as it's only used in the ar.  I think it's likely it and the Valkyrie eventually fall off.  Kind of think the grendel might as well.  It has a bit of advantage in that there are 3 or 4 bolts that are sold in the caliber.  But I kinda think that the 6mm arc eventually becomes the main caliber outside of 5.56.  the arc is actually being used in the military and I think Willis start getting more use.  That typically means it will become more popular
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 10:25:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I like the Six8. The UCIW with a DIAS is where it's at!
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 10:39:42 PM EDT
[#4]
My buddy used his Wilson Combat 6.8 this weekend when we hog hunted. It’s a great hog gun
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 10:48:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 10:53:34 PM EDT
[#6]
No, not dead.

In small frame AR, current usage ranking it seems to me

223/5.56
300 BO
6.5 Grendel
6.8 SpC
.224 Valk
7.62x39
6mm Grendel.. er (ARC)
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 11:27:20 PM EDT
[#7]
It's an awesome caliber for the AR-15 platform. Lot of firepower for the platform and still very controllable. However the ammo is expensive and harder to find. For hunting it's either my smaller and lighter AR15 in 6.8, or my bigger and heavier AR10 in 308. Ammo costs about the same. But 308 is easier to find. Of course follow up shots are easier with the 6.8 SPC.
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 1:02:54 AM EDT
[#8]
It's not dead. Winchester has come out with a  new factory loading very recently.  To get the most out of the 6.8, you really need to handload.
I have 3 6.8's. A few coworkers have rifles. I've used mine for deer hunting the last 5 or 6 years.

I worked at Barrett when we first started that project. We worked with 5th Group at Ft Campbell a lot with it.

I buy brass and  projectiles when I find them at a good (for me) price.
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 1:40:19 AM EDT
[#9]
if you are looking to kill something with an AR get a 6.8
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 1:58:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Not dead, it’s just become a hunting caliber with a dedicated fan base… so niche in other words. It’s great when hand loaded. I shot a bull elk with my SBR 6.8 this last year.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/27/2022 7:18:00 AM EDT
[#11]
I wish it wasn't so niche.  I bought a 6.8 upper and a shit ton of ammo from PSA about 2011.

Unfortunately the caliber never came down in price, and I don't hunt...
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 7:25:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No, not dead.

223/5.56
300 BO
6.5 Grendel
6.8 SpC
.224 Valk
7.62x39
6mm Grendel.. er (ARC)
View Quote

I would say your dead on with your ranking.  But I fully expect the 6mm to move up to the second or third apot
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 9:29:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I would say your dead on with your ranking.  But I fully expect the 6mm to move up to the second or third apot
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No, not dead.

223/5.56
300 BO
6.5 Grendel
6.8 SpC
.224 Valk
7.62x39
6mm Grendel.. er (ARC)

Why?  It's more of .224 Valk in ballistic and terminal performance.  To me Grendel is about the optimal spot of ballistics and terminal performance.  6 ARC isn't going to hit as hard, and is more of a target round, like .224 Valk already is; which is a higher pressure rated round.  That's my take at least - am I missing something?
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 9:37:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 9:38:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 10:25:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
You think grendel is more common than 6.8 and 7.62x39? I really don't know. I have a bunch of uppers in various calibers but don't shoot anything but 5.56. The only non 5.56 ARs I have seen are 7.62x39, 500 beowulf and 450 bushmaster
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No, not dead.

223/5.56
300 BO
6.5 Grendel
6.8 SpC
.224 Valk
7.62x39
6mm Grendel.. er (ARC)
You think grendel is more common than 6.8 and 7.62x39? I really don't know. I have a bunch of uppers in various calibers but don't shoot anything but 5.56. The only non 5.56 ARs I have seen are 7.62x39, 500 beowulf and 450 bushmaster

Oh definatly.   Just by brass alone, you will see 5 Grendel casing for every 6.8, if not more.   And 5 300 bo casting for every Grendel.  And like 50 5.56 for every 300 BO.

And range encounters observation matches that trend.  

For field hunting I think that flattens out more, 6.8 is quit expensive to shoot, so those who run it, tend to be more focused field hunters, so it is underrepresented at the range and by brass count alone.   6.8 is arguably slighter better at sub 300 yard field hunting than Grendel, but not by much.   It's a good round all the same - it just tends to cost more, and no common source brass to repurpose for a reloader in a pinch (Grendel reloaders can run 7.62x39 brass).  And legs aren't quite as long for the distance gong range.  To be honest, 25 cent Wolf Steel Grendel ammo availability made it a no-brainer on which to pick between the two, and heck, that made even having a 5.56 AR kind of optional.  But alas, that door is perminantly closed- so ammo cost differential for Grendel is kind of gone.  

6.5 Grendel is still IMHO the best overall general purpose civilian small frame AR round for reasons mentioned, but 6.8 is very close, trading range for a little better terminal performance at essentially all pragmatic hunting ranges.  It's just the net increase in that performance IMHO is considerable smaller than the net loss of distance range compared to Grendel.

If your world and interests never ever but ever will exceed 300 yards - 6.8 is an excellent choice that even as a Grendel snob, I can't besmirch.  6mm ARC to me however, is to me a waste of good Grendel brass, as the higher P rated .224 Valk is already there.  But it's OK to like stuff I don't.  
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 12:07:07 PM EDT
[#17]
I don't own AR's in any other caliber, so it's not dead to me. If ammo prices ever got down to around $0.60 a round I'd buy a 1k round case of 110gr. right now.
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 2:33:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Isn't the 6.8 SPC the cartridge recently adopted by the military along with the SIG rifle/carbine and SAW???
If so, the 6.8 is the next 5.56 so far as ammo/components are concerned.
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 2:38:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Isn't the 6.8 SPC the cartridge recently adopted by the military along with the SIG rifle/carbine and SAW???
View Quote

6.8 SPC is aka 6.8x43mm

The new 6.8 is 6.8x51mm aka .277 Fury.

Other than bore, they're not related.
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 2:40:29 PM EDT
[#20]
I think that Grendel won that match up of the upper 6mm battle.
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 4:44:05 PM EDT
[#21]
I have a 6.5 Grendel and like the round, even the Wolf stuff is pretty good, and having other 6.5 Rifles doesn't hurt either. (6.5x55, 6.5CM)

How does the 6.8 do with slightly heavier bullets such as 130~150 grain weight?

I like the idea of the 6.8 in having other Rifles using .277 Bullets, but I don't want to tie up in another caliber just to see it go the way of the .30 Remington AR or other flash in the pan cartridges.
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 4:45:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

6.8 SPC is aka 6.8x43mm

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

6.8 SPC is aka 6.8x43mm

Nor is that fitting on a small frame AR15 frame.  

With regards to the 6.8x51/ .227 fury, we already had the heavy high-recoil hard-hitting larger power conversation.  It was called the M14 and is a terrible choice for general issue line troops, but good choice for DMR.
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 5:53:47 PM EDT
[#23]
It's not dead but it definitely lost the caliber wars to the 6.5 Grendel.  

The 6.8spc is a very good hunting caliber and will be around for a long time I imagine.  It's just not nearly as popular as it was.  Since you already have a 6.5 Grendel there's no reason to get a 6.8spc because you're not gaining anything.  Unless you just want one and then why not?
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 6:11:34 PM EDT
[#24]
I've always had an interest in 6.8 but in the ~20 years of it being around, I've never purchased anything in it or for it.  I do wish I would have bought one of the ACR 6.8 conversion kits when Bushmaster blew them out before the big bankruptcy.

They screwed up pretty big with the early chamber issues so there was always an air of uncertainty around "is that safe to shoot" for folks that didn't really know the SPC-II or other chamber variants that fixed it.  It's a niche round now.  I'd rather buy a 6.8 than a .300 though.  
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 7:00:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
if you are looking to kill something with an AR get a 6.8
View Quote

This is where I warmed up to it.  

For years I stayed away from boutique class cartridges.  

In a moment of weakness I decided to build an upper, wanted to use what lowers I already had, so just a push pin conversion.  

Flat top upper, a he who may not be mentioned lightweight 18” barrel, his super bolt.

No a tactical timmy rig for me, just an upper that I might use to shoot a deer with.  The caliber is just right for any 300-350 yard max set up I may hunt.

Barnes 95 grain TTSX are what I chose to load in it.   No meat yet although I did carry it a few times last season.
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 9:15:00 PM EDT
[#26]
I don't think it is dead, it is just niche now.  Seems to be popular for hunting.  It had a foolish roll-out, then got into a knife fight with 6.5G......while also shadow boxing 7.62x39 and .300HAM'r.
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 11:30:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I don't think it is dead, it is just niche now.  Seems to be popular for hunting.  It had a foolish roll-out, then got into a knife fight with 6.5G......while also shadow boxing 7.62x39 and .300HAM'r.
View Quote
I'm not even sure you can even add the .300 HAM'r to the discussion...maybe the .300 BO.

I just picked up my 5th 6.8 SPC...I have a 10.5" Bison, two 16" rifles, another 18" Bison, and a 23" T/C Contender.    had zero interest in the 6.8 SPC until about a year and a half ago, of course by then all the cheap components were gone.  Right now, the biggest hang up is brass....maybe it will eventually hit the sub $0.40/pc range again.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 4:28:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I'm not even sure you can even add the .300 HAM'r to the discussion...maybe the .300 BO.  

I just picked up my 5th 6.8 SPC...I have a 10.5" Bison, two 16" rifles, another 18" Bison, and a 23" T/C Contender.    had zero interest in the 6.8 SPC until about a year and a half ago, of course by then all the cheap components were gone.  Right now, the biggest hang up is brass....maybe it will eventually hit the sub $0.40/pc range again.
View Quote

For hog and deer?  I definitely think 300HAM’R competes with 6.8.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 4:47:45 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Why?  It's more of .224 Valk in ballistic and terminal performance.  To me Grendel is about the optimal spot of ballistics and terminal performance.  6 ARC isn't going to hit as hard, and is more of a target round, like .224 Valk already is; which is a higher pressure rated round.  That's my take at least - am I missing something?
View Quote

The difference in hitting power between the ARC and Grendel is very minimal. The ARC is a very capable hunting round. What it lacks in bullet weight it makes up in retained velocity. I read somewhere that the difference was only like 35 lbs. of hitting force on average.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 11:48:37 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The difference in hitting power between the ARC and Grendel is very minimal. The ARC is a very capable hunting round. What it lacks in bullet weight it makes up in retained velocity. I read somewhere that the difference was only like 35 lbs. of hitting force on average.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's the ballistics component that over the decades I've still been trying to figure out.  At some point the bullet face size on impact matters, and a needle penetrating with "the same energy" isn't the same effectiveness.  I've grown a bias that one is best served by the biggest diameter that still has very good flight characteristics and impact velocity.  To me, 6.5 mm diameter is where that optimal trade of diameter and flight behavior and terminal impact performance and penetration is.  6mm has been around for a long time, yet has never been considered to be a serious hunting diameter by most, but a match paper-puncher.  Whereas Europe has been relying on 6.5mm diameter bullets to get the job done for a very long time.  

Might be wrong, but that's my own bias so far.

I will say, one of the coolest assessments I've ever seen, is a hog hunter did a 100 hog test.   He literally took a 6.8 SPC rifle, and hunting 100 hogs.  After that, switched to 6.5 Grendel (or maybe he alternated as he went, whatever), and hunted 100 hogs; and kept records.  And then compared kill rates and follow-up shot requirements.   His conclusion, out of 100 hogs he scored... I don't recall exactly, but let's say 79 kills with 6.8SPC, and 78 kills with Grendel.  Specifically, He got one less Hog with the Grendel out of 100, and that's about exactly what I would have just seat-of-my-pants expected.   And pragmantically is the same number for any individual hunt.  It would be interesting to see if someone would do same with 6 ARC.  My own expectation is same hunter/conditions that goes down to the 60s/100 hogs, because little diameter fast bullets rely on bullet design, and idealized impact path.  Otherwise the either ice-pick, or explode at the surface, IMHO.   But I can change my mind on things if I'm shown to be in error.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 11:06:09 PM EDT
[#31]
I've been extremely happy with my 6.8 on whitetails (suppressed Wilson 11.3", Hornady 120gr SST); a buddy uses his on deer and hogs and it's become his main rifle as well.  I wish the ammo was more common and cheaper, if I were buying new today I'd get 6.5 just because of availability.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 11:56:21 PM EDT
[#32]
it's junk that is why I only have about 6000 rounds and enough components for another 3k
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 11:53:25 AM EDT
[#33]
I have two 6.8 SPC rifles and about to build a third.  

I have a couple thousand pieces of brass, about half of that loaded at any one time and about a case and a half of factory 6.8.

Not dead to me.

I don’t make  my firearm stir ruins based on Etsy the internet tells me is the “new hotness”.

I don’t feel any reason to belong to a caliber club,

ZFG about which calibers are getting “love”.  You’ll never see me make some whiny post about “why doesn’t X get any love?”

Link Posted: 4/30/2022 12:57:28 PM EDT
[#34]
My favorite spin-off from the 6.8 is the 25x68. I think if it was marketed as a dual purpose hunting cartridge vs long range round, it would have appeal. Out of an 18” barrel it literally mimics 250 savage, which is a classic hunting round.

It’s one of my favorite cartridges in general, but these days with young ones, time on the reloading bench is getting fewer and further between so I’ve been thinking about selling the components, but it’s hard to…

I haven’t killed anything with it yet, but have developed some nice loads. My favorite so far intended for predator/javelina is a 85gr Ballistic Tip at 3k fps.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 2:46:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

That's the ballistics component that over the decades I've still been trying to figure out.  At some point the bullet face size on impact matters, and a needle penetrating with "the same energy" isn't the same effectiveness.  I've grown a bias that one is best served by the biggest diameter that still has very good flight characteristics and impact velocity.  To me, 6.5 mm diameter is where that optimal trade of diameter and flight behavior and terminal impact performance and penetration is.  6mm has been around for a long time, yet has never been considered to be a serious hunting diameter by most, but a match paper-puncher.  Whereas Europe has been relying on 6.5mm diameter bullets to get the job done for a very long time.  

I will say, one of the coolest assessments I've ever seen, is a hog hunter did a 100 hog test.   He literally took a 6.8 SPC rifle, and hunting 100 hogs.  After that, switched to 6.5 Grendel (or maybe he alternated as he went, whatever), and hunted 100 hogs; and kept records.  And then compared kill rates and follow-up shot requirements.   His conclusion, out of 100 hogs he scored... I don't recall exactly, but let's say 79 kills with 6.8SPC, and 78 kills with Grendel.  Specifically, He got one less Hog with the Grendel out of 100, and that's about exactly what I would have just seat-of-my-pants expected.   And pragmantically is the same number for any individual hunt.  It would be interesting to see if someone would do same with 6 ARC.  My own expectation is same hunter/conditions that goes down to the 60s/100 hogs, because little diameter fast bullets rely on bullet design, and idealized impact path.  Otherwise the either ice-pick, or explode at the surface, IMHO.   But I can change my mind on things if I'm shown to be in error.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice test, too small numbers to be truly statistically reliable but well up there above a handful of anecdotal stories.   I’d accept the findings.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 2:49:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
My favorite spin-off from the 6.8 is the 25x68. I think if it was marketed as a dual purpose hunting cartridge vs long range round, it would have appeal. Out of an 18” barrel it literally mimics 250 savage, which is a classic hunting round.

It’s one of my favorite cartridges in general, but these days with young ones, time on the reloading bench is getting fewer and further between so I’ve been thinking about selling the components, but it’s hard to…

I haven’t killed anything with it yet, but have developed some nice loads. My favorite so far intended for predator/javelina is a 85gr Ballistic Tip at 3k fps.
View Quote

There was a boutique maker of 6.8 neck down wildcat cartridge barrels.   6.5x6.8spc is one.   I am not going for a wildcat but if that became a production gun I’d buy one.  For an AR the bolt face isn’t opened up too far (in my personal opinion) like the Grendel.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 7:54:49 AM EDT
[#37]
I don’t see it as dead, just retired.

It didn’t make the stardom hoped, in the form of common military use. Sure some specops might use it, but that can be said of most any quality gear. It would need to be issued to normal troops for it to actually see the popularity.

It seems to be a plenty capable hunting cartridge, and that’s what keeps it alive. If it wasn’t an AR platform, I don’t think it would even be known in the hunting world. Easy enough to just go buy a more mainstream, 2.800” length cartridge with way more ponies under the hood.

I think it’s cool that it did actually find success for harvesting game. It is great that so many effectively use it, keeping it going as proof that the AR is such a versatile platform.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 11:42:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
There was a boutique maker of 6.8 neck down wildcat cartridge barrels.   6.5x6.8spc is one.   I am not going for a wildcat but if that became a production gun I’d buy one.  For an AR the bolt face isn’t opened up too far (in my personal opinion) like the Grendel.
View Quote

My personal opinion is that if they had done it as a 6.5 it would have done better and maybe even killed the Grendel off. Eventually we'd maybe see a 6mm variant just like happened with the Creedmoor and Grendel. You get really into dreamland and you also end up with a 30 variant like the HRT standardized.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 10:06:24 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I think that Grendel won that match up of the upper 6mm battle.
View Quote

They both lost. Neither has been or will be adopted into the military arsenal as a main issued weapon. Both are comfortably in a niche category for the AR15 and more than likely will remain there, the same as 458 SOCOM, 300 HAMR and a multitude of others.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 10:20:19 AM EDT
[#40]
My usual deer/hog rifle is 6.8...
Have an 11.5" as well.
I love the round.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 10:39:23 AM EDT
[#41]
Wasn’t the Army doing some kind of trial with 6.8 something?
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 10:42:32 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

6.8x51 has been adopted.
The civilian equivalent is .277 Fury.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 10:50:51 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

6.8x51 has been adopted.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

6.8x51 has been adopted.

So a necked down .308?
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 11:04:09 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
So a necked down .308?
View Quote

That runs up to 80KSI (vs 60 KSI) and has a 3-piece case to handle it.

6.5C, .277 Fury, .308

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 11:31:18 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

In the early days of Iraq and Afghanistan there were (IMHO) multiple attempts at getting the Military to field, adopt or test "new and improved" system, ammunition, and combat driven equipment.  The 6.8 Remington was born out of this, along with the Remington ACR (and some forgotten others)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6.8mm_Remington_SPC
At one time, a Remington Employee signed out a couple of these Rifles and ammunition for use at a local Range where a bunch of arfcommers gathered for an evening feast and entire Range day the following Morning.....good times!
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 11:35:07 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

6.5C, .277 Fury, .308

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/173511/Levi-Sim-7-1024x768_jpg-2382334.JPG
View Quote

I didn't realize the .277 was longer to the shoulder than the .308 (7.62x51) that will keep it from being inadvertently chambering into a .308
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 1:23:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I didn't realize the .277 was longer to the shoulder than the .308 (7.62x51) that will keep it from being inadvertently chambering into a .308
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

6.5C, .277 Fury, .308

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/173511/Levi-Sim-7-1024x768_jpg-2382334.JPG

Yep, they do that by design as a general rule to avoid kabooms.  And .308 won't fit in Fury (neck area won't chamber).  The only cartridge to fuck this concept up of relevance is .300 BO.  And just like that, first question after a .223 kaboom is no longer "do you reload?", but is now "do you own a .300 BO?"
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 1:24:58 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Yep, they do that by design as a general rule to avoid kabooms.  And .308 won't fit in Fury (neck area won't chamber).  The only cartridge to fuck this concept up of relevance is .300 BO.  And just like that, first question after a .223 kaboom is no longer "do you reload?", but is now "do you own a .300 BO?"
View Quote

Only with super light/narrow ogive bullets or almost zero neck tension/crimp.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 11:28:15 PM EDT
[#49]
I have a 12.5" 6.8SPC. Enjoy it very much.

Brother haz a 12.5" 6.5 Grendel. We don't caliber bash each other.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 12:01:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

6.5C, .277 Fury, .308

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So a necked down .308?

6.5C, .277 Fury, .308

That’s really interesting. Wonder how expensive it is to manufacture those cases, and how long the barrels last…
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top