Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/18/2024 2:18:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: airgunner]
I know this isn't any kind of great deal or pristine example but I've been wanting a WWII era SA M1 Garand for longer then I care to admit. I wanted a "correct" grade but never could find one I liked for a price I was willing to pay. I know this one has a few incorrect parts (like the rear sight and that the barrel is clearly not original based on date codes) but overall it seems fairly decent and more "correct" then a lot of others? I'm also guessing with this one being certified in Y2K, making it a 24yo build/refurb, it probably has an overall better collection of parts then what's currently coming out of the CMP?

So let me hear it... Fair deal or did I get ripped off (based off of today's pricing, not what they went for 5-10-20 years ago)? Anything I should be concerned about? I do plan on shooting it occasionally but for the most part this is just a usable piece of history for me and will be admired more then shot.

M1 Garand WW2 Springfield 1943 CMP Service Grade
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 3:04:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Beautiful rifle with an SA etched rebuild.  The rebuilds are collectible on their own.  Nice mix of original and post war parts.  Price for me after the tax and any other fees may be a touch too high for my tastes but you're not going to easily get a rifle like that from CMP anymore.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 3:34:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By svt40:
Beautiful rifle with an SA etched rebuild.  The rebuilds are collectible on their own.  Nice mix of original and post war parts.  Price for me after the tax and any other fees may be a touch too high for my tastes but you're not going to easily get a rifle like that from CMP anymore.
View Quote

Yeah, gunbroker taxes and fees are killers but I never find decent Garands at my LGS's. Just way overpriced mixmasters with beat to shit wood and maybe 50% finish.

I'm not fully fluent in "Garand" so I really don't know what I'm talking about but "SA etched rebuild" < is that a stamp or marking I missed or just an assumption based on the barrel date?

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 4:48:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By airgunner:

Yeah, gunbroker taxes and fees are killers but I never find decent Garands at my LGS's. Just way overpriced mixmasters with beat to shit wood and maybe 50% finish.

I'm not fully fluent in "Garand" so I really don't know what I'm talking about but "SA etched rebuild" < is that a stamp or marking I missed or just an assumption based on the barrel date?

Thanks
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Thanks

I’ll try and answer it for you. The right front receiver leg is marked “SA 1-65”. That means it was refurbished at the Springfield
Armory in Jan 1965.  For a few years in the 60’s when guns were rebuilt they were electro penciled with the Armory and date.
That probably explains the nice finish on the rifle. That is a nice rifle and I would probably leave it as it is because it’s a good
example of a 60’s rebuild.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 5:29:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By alpharph:
I’ll try and answer it for you. The right front receiver leg is marked “SA 1-65”. That means it was refurbished at the Springfield
Armory in Jan 1965.  For a few years in the 60’s when guns were rebuilt they were electro penciled with the Armory and date.
That probably explains the nice finish on the rifle. That is a nice rifle and I would probably leave it as it is because it’s a good
example of a 60’s rebuild.
View Quote

Ah, ok thanks for the info I figured it was rebuilt at some point and I kind of like that it was rebuilt at SA. No, I don't plan on messing it it much if at all. Maybe cleaning/oiling/waxing the stock and I wouldn't mind getting a time period "correct" SA rear sight? I would also like to get a leather 1903 sling which I believe is more period correct and a period correct M1 Bayonet (the 10" version).

I am curious about the '43 receiver and '44 dated barrel? Is that likely from the rebuild in '65 (just using whatever parts they had around) or an issue with the original barrel as delivered and they replaced the barrel then (in '44)? I'm assume no one can say for sure but what's the most likely explanation?
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 5:59:42 PM EDT
[#5]
The barrel could be from a WWII era rebuild or could be something they had at SA still and used it for the rebuild.  It was hard to see but is the chamber still in the white and are the splines on the barrel under the gas cylinder chromed?
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 6:31:24 PM EDT
[#6]
OP's link w/o ARFCOM supported Vigilink tracking:

https://www.gun broker.com/item/1029755881
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 10:21:55 PM EDT
[#7]
The barrel could be from a WWII era rebuild or could be something they had at SA still and used it for the rebuild.  It was hard to see but is the chamber still in the white and are the splines on the barrel under the gas cylinder chromed?
View All Quotes
I do not know? I haven't received it yet.

Originally Posted By backbencher:
OP's link w/o ARFCOM supported Vigilink tracking:

I fixed your link (gunbroker is one word) and used it to update mine. Thanks
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 10:54:49 PM EDT
[#8]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By svt40:  The barrel could be from a WWII era rebuild or could be something they had at SA still and used it for the rebuild.  It was hard to see but is the chamber still in the white and are the splines on the barrel under the gas cylinder chromed?

Originally Posted By backbencher:  OP's link w/o ARFCOM supported Vigilink tracking:

You have to break the link to prevent ARFCOM from enabling Vigilink, which is why I left a space in mine & didn't make it hot.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 3:17:02 AM EDT
[#9]
60’s SA rebuilds we’re some of the finest. They had the best parkerizing, dark and smooth. They also reparked most the parts so the finished matched.

Link Posted: 1/20/2024 11:03:12 AM EDT
[#10]
I like it
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 6:21:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Looks good.

I have been into M1’s since my first in the early 1980’s ( back then it was a department of the army organization called the DCM) and you were allowed a single M1 as a one time purchase. Looks to be a nice rifle. While on the high side price wise not horrible.

Regarding the sights, if I were you and you are  going to shoot it the later non lock bar sights are easier to deal with

It is often suggested to get a few spare recoil ( operating rod) springs as a lot of them are worn out.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 6:27:32 PM EDT
[#12]
View Quote

This. I try to avoid buying from GB because of their outrageous fees and shipping, but I would have bought that rifle. She's a beauty. You gonna shoot her much?
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 10:43:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the input guys. I picked her up today from my FFL. Metal all looks good but the wood is not as nice as I hoped for. The stock itself is a little more dinged up than I could tell from the pics. The rear hand guard looks like a replacement and the font hand guard has some play. Probably not a big deal but I don't like loose/rattly things on my guns. That said, I don't plan on messing with her right away. I typically try to shoot my guns before messing with them and in this case I feel like I need to educate myself more before doing anything I might regret.

Originally Posted By raygixxer89:
She's a beauty. You gonna shoot her much?
View Quote
Thanks, I do plan on shooting her, probably not a lot but she won't be a safe queen. I picked up a case (500rds) of PPU, their M1 Garand load and hopefully have some en blocs enroute from "TOTHEMAX"
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 11:29:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SteelonSteel] [#14]
The front handguard being loose enough to shuck forward and aft is correct,  If clamped tight they will crack and split and if they don’t will be very bad for accuracy.  I once fitted an aftermarket handguard that was at least a 1/16” too long and had the slightest free play..........until the gun warmed up. Once warm it was no longer free and shots were wild.  It was a beautiful DGR walnut stock set but I needed to hand fit it some more, Pop the metal off and carefully rasp the tenon shoulder.  

National match guns are a different animal and get fixed to the ferrule, and the liner is discarded but still aren’t wedged tight against the gas cylinder.

Link Posted: 2/18/2024 12:23:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top