Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/5/2018 9:36:01 AM EDT

I got a lot of help in my first posting on this topic, so let's try it again with something new.

I've done more research, a never ending process with cowboy guns, and have ditch my need for a .357 Magnum rifle. The rifles are too expensive and too hard to find. And I'm not interested in a Henry. Great guns, yes. But too high priced.

Now, I'm looking into the 45LC/45 Colt or maybe 44-40.

This rifle is NOT for Cowboy Shooting. This is for plinking, hunting, and HD. I will not be using hot loads either. I will be reloading to get the costs down. I might, might, shoot 500rds a year.

And I have come down, again, to 2 finalists both Winchesters.

Grabagun has them for $876

Winchester Model 73 Sporter Octagon Walnut/Blued 45LC OR 44-40 24-inch 14Rnd Pistol Grip

GAG has it for $915 in both calibers.

I lean more towards the 45LC since it's more common than the 44-40. Also, from what little I could find on the subject, that 44-40 tends to be harder to reload since different firearms have different barrel sizes and need to be swagged. Not something I trust myself to do right and the need for different size bullets means more cost and ugh!

I'm looking to do a rifle/pistol combo and there are a lot more 45LC revolvers to choose from then 44-40.

I know that Marlin has a couple 45LC rifles, but I'm still leery of them. Especially, since I would have to order them sight unseen.

So, share your wisdom with me again!
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 2:40:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Why no 38/357?  I am also interested in all the replies.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 4:11:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Too darn hard to find one!

That's why!

But I did see a Rossi .357 & .44 at Walmart today at around $600. Looked good too!
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 7:36:54 PM EDT
[#3]
It is hard to beat the 92, especially with the slim profile.  The 73 is easy on the eyes with the case coloring.  Buy them both.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 10:18:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I went with a Winchester 73 in 44-40 because it's the original caliber, it's fun to shoot, and it keeps the action very clean.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 10:20:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I went out and bought a case colored 73 in 38/357 today,  had a hoot shooting 38 cal rounds with no noise or recoil.  To me any pistol caliber rifle is the tits.
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 11:01:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I went out and bought a case colored 73 in 38/357 today,  had a hoot shooting 38 cal rounds with no noise or recoil.  To me any pistol caliber rifle is the tits.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 12:55:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Winchester is a good choice.  That lines of that 1892 model in 45LC are just so "clean", there's no doubt I would chose that one.

They are available right now in 38/357, if that's really the cartridge you wanted.  Of the ones you listed, 45LC is the way to go, IMO.

Consider buying a revolver in whatever cartridge you chose.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 1:42:22 AM EDT
[#8]
The 92 will have a tang safety, the 73 will not.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 7:11:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Nothing wrong with the Winchesters but about the same money you could buy a JM Marlin in .45 Colt.  Easier to scope, parts are readily available and made in the USA.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 8:21:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Like I said, I would have to order a Marlin to get it.

I live in a rural area and all the LGS around here carry small inventories and the big box stores don't carry them.

So, I would have to take a chance on getting a so-so product from Marlin. Or whatever the wholesaler had on hand.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 8:34:27 AM EDT
[#11]
I like the 92 over the 73 simply because it's a better/stronger action.
Honestly the 44/40 works better in a lever gun then the 45 Colt because of the round's geometry.  The Colt rims are too small for strong extraction/feeding, the case is so "square" that it sometimes fights the action.  That's the original reason that these rifles weren't sold in 45 Colt - it wasn't some sort of company fight (Winchester made a lot of the 45 Colt ammo...).

Honestly - the 44 Magnum is better in a lever action for what you want - the ammo is easy to find and won't go away.  It's not in vogue for cowboy action - because it's too much for that game - but it is perfect for what you want.

The 38/357 is too weak for hunting deer sized game unless you want to stalk to close range.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 8:48:13 AM EDT
[#12]
I wish they were hard to find.  OP is fake news.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 11:35:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The 38/357 is too weak for hunting deer sized game unless you want to stalk to close range.
View Quote
Not being a hunter, I have to ask about this.

What is "too weak" about a 158 gr bullet going well over 2000 fps?  A 30-30 is only going 2400 fps.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 12:31:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Not being a hunter, I have to ask about this.

What is "too weak" about a 158 gr bullet going well over 2000 fps?  A 30-30 is only going 2400 fps.
View Quote
I wouldn't consider it "weak", but I would consider its effective range to make a humane and ethical kill to be limited compared to a 30-30. Me personally I would consider 100 yards to be the cut off, but thats just me.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 1:54:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I wish they were hard to find.  OP is fake news.
https://i.imgur.com/Q5PERWY.jpg
View Quote

Yeah, well, you know where can go!

Lousy Michigan!
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 2:27:01 PM EDT
[#16]
My son and I have purchased Rossi 92s. I have a 44mag and my son has the 45LC.

For fun and profit go with the 45LC over the 44-40 due to the reloading aspect. I believe the 44-40 is a bottleneck case design.

The 45LC loads easily and is pretty dirt cheap to reload. My son loads CFEPistol under 255gr hard cast lead. Quality cast lead slugs are much easier to find than hardcast .430 44 slugs.

It surprises me how fun and accurate the 45LC is to shoot. My 44mag with comercial ammo is not so pleasant to shoot multiple rounds. It has a sharp recoil. I reload IMR4227 under 300gr XTPs and it makes a huge difference.

I will say that the brass for the 45LC is not cheap. Stock up if you find a good deal. I believe on average, plan on close to one thousand rounds per pound of powder.

Good luck with your lever action. They are a lot of fun when you just want to get away from your ultra accurate laser guns.

I forgot to say it is amazing to see a 45LC round hit something. Talk about a freight train!
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 10:21:39 PM EDT
[#17]
I went looking around today for a Winchester-made Model 1892 in 357.  I found some in 16", 20" and 24".
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 8:44:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Like I said, I would have to order a Marlin to get it.

I live in a rural area and all the LGS around here carry small inventories and the big box stores don't carry them.

So, I would have to take a chance on getting a so-so product from Marlin. Or whatever the wholesaler had on hand.
View Quote
Note I said JM Marlin, not a new one.  I picked up this .45 a few months ago for less than a new Remlin.

Link Posted: 4/8/2018 9:04:42 AM EDT
[#19]
I was just going to change my reply when I was re-reading this thread!

I keep forgetting about auctions sites since I've never used them before.

I have to do some more research on this.

And thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 10:49:13 AM EDT
[#20]
I reload a good amount of .44-40 and contrary to myth, it is not noticeably difficult to handload for. There are two caveats:

First, you do need to lubricate cases for resizing, since it is a bottlenecked round. Second, you must adequately flare the mouth before seating a bullet to avoid crumpling the brass. Aside from that, it's easy to load with black powder, Unique, or Reloder 7 (the powders I've tried). I also want to try Herco.

I got into bullet casting for my Cimarron Uberti 1873 Sporting Rifle and it's awesome to not have to depend on commercial suppliers for bullets. These are cast from an Accurate Molds 43-215C, and average 219 grains as-cast from 1:20 alloy. They are designed to carry enough lube to use Goex black powder in a 24" barrel. I can shoot 100 rounds and the rifle won't be fouled out. Cleanup takes only about 10 - 12 wet patches through the bore, and the action stays clean.

Attachment Attached File

Even the lube is homebrewed, of 50% beeswax and 50% mutton tallow (you can also use Crisco).

The shoot great in this:

Attachment Attached File

and this:

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top