User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 2:58:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have not checked my total drawl.  8 Channel POE DVR, Motorolla Cable Modem and Asus 3100 Router is what is connected to the backup.

There is some wiggle room in the around 100 cost... I told the wife it would be around 100 :)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do you know what your total load is currently in VA or watts?

I will do some looking around if you can get me that number.  $100 and a few hours though with the NVR may be a tough proposition but I'll do my best.
I have not checked my total drawl.  8 Channel POE DVR, Motorolla Cable Modem and Asus 3100 Router is what is connected to the backup.

There is some wiggle room in the around 100 cost... I told the wife it would be around 100 :)
It looks like that NVR draws < 10 watts excluding the HDD and POE for the cameras.  With 1 HDD (10 Watts each) and 8 cameras (5 Watts max with IR each) you should be under 60 Watts for the NVR setup.

The modem and router should each be less than 10 watts so I'd figure 80 watts max for your setup.

Off to research....

You are a wise man to say "around"
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 3:12:58 PM EDT
[#2]
So in doing some looking about the best runtime I can find in a decent UPS with AVR (automatic voltage regulation) is about 85 minutes based on the estimated load.

I like Tripp Lite so I would recommend this one.

Amazon Product
  • WORK THOUGH SHORT BLACKOUTS & MAINTAIN A NETWORK CONNECTION / SAVE FILES SAFELY DURING LONGER BLACKOUTS: 1300VA / 720W Smart LCD Battery Backup Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) provides up to 64 minutes of runtime for an entry level PC system, and 10 min of half-load runtime
  • 8 OUTLETS PROTECT SMALL SERVERS, DESKTOPS & ALL PERIPHERALS: 4 Outlets provide UPS Power Backup & Surge Protection (for small server, desktop, monitor, LCD, network workstation, audio/video components, media center, keyboard, external hard drive, wireless router, IoT device); 4 Outlets offer Surge Protection Only (ideal for printers and other electronics that are not essential in a blackout)
  • AVR CORRECTS BROWNOUTS & OVERVOLTAGES WITHOUT USING BATTERY POWER: Otherwise known as Automatic Voltage Regulation, this conserves battery power for critical blackouts. Also features TEL/DSL/Ethernet protection.

Link Posted: 5/18/2018 3:20:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
It looks like that NVR draws < 10 watts excluding the HDD and POE for the cameras.  With 1 HDD (10 Watts each) and 8 cameras (5 Watts max with IR each) you should be under 60 Watts for the NVR setup.

The modem and router should each be less than 10 watts so I'd figure 80 watts max for your setup.

Off to research....

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do you know what your total load is currently in VA or watts?

I will do some looking around if you can get me that number.  $100 and a few hours though with the NVR may be a tough proposition but I'll do my best.

Off to research....

Only been married a year and few months.... I learned FAST!  Only takes one time.

Quoted:
So in doing some looking about the best runtime I can find in a decent UPS with AVR (automatic voltage regulation) is about 85 minutes based on the estimated load.

I like Tripp Lite so I would recommend this one.

www.amazon.com/dp/B00AX9Z7W4
I will take a look at this.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 3:24:01 PM EDT
[#4]
My 9th anniversary was just a few days ago and I learned that lesson quickly too
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 5:29:21 PM EDT
[#5]
How about

https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Line-Interactive-Protection-SMART1500LCDT/dp/B009TZTGWK/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1526679078&sr=1-1&keywords=Tripp+Lite+1500VA+900W+UPS+Battery+Back+Up%2C+AVR%2C+LCD+Display%2C+Line-Interactive%2C+10+Outlets%2C+120V%2C+USB%2C+Tel+%26+Coax+Protection+%28SMART1500LCDT%29

Amazon Product
  • WORK THOUGH SHORT BLACKOUTS & MAINTAIN A NETWORK CONNECTION / SAVE FILES SAFELY DURING LONGER BLACKOUTS: 1500VA / 900W Smart LCD Battery Backup Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) provides up to 90 minutes of runtime for an entry level PC system, and 10 min of half-load runtime
  • 10 OUTLETS PROTECT DESKTOPS & ALL PERIPHERALS: 5 Outlets provide UPS Power Backup & Surge Protection (for desktop, monitor, LCD, keyboard, external hard drive, wireless router, IoT device); 5 Outlets offer Surge Protection Only (ideal for printers and other electronics that are not essential in a blackout)
  • AVR CORRECTS BROWNOUTS & OVERVOLTAGES WITHOUT USING BATTERY POWER: Otherwise known as Automatic Voltage Regulation, this conserves battery power for critical blackouts. Also features TEL/DSL/Ethernet protection.

Link Posted: 5/18/2018 5:34:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I was trying to stay as close to $100 as possible but yeah the 1500VA version would give you a longer run time.  If you can swing it I'd grab it.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 5:42:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I was trying to stay as close to $100 as possible but yeah the 1500VA version would give you a longer run time.  If you can swing it I'd grab it.
View Quote
Well 159 is kinda around 100, right...  

Think the wife will believe it.  AHAHA
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 5:46:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd say it is.  Ya just have to spin it right
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 5:48:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well... You know... California DOES have some crazy fees when you buy anything with a battery like this...
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 5:49:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Well... You know... California [i]DOES[/] have some crazy fees when you buy anything with a battery like this...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well... You know... California [i]DOES[/] have some crazy fees when you buy anything with a battery like this...
There ya go
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 1:46:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Thoughts on the cyberpower 1325va 810w ACT

At frys looking around and they have it on sale 139

https://www.frys.com/product/8663150
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 2:00:55 PM EDT
[#12]
I'd rather get the Tripp Lite or an APC than Cyberpower personally since the other companies make more than homeowner equipment.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 2:03:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'd rather get the Tripp Lite or an APC than Cyberpower personally since the other companies make more than homeowner equipment.
View Quote
I think I'll do the triplite.

Frys doesn't have triplite ups in store.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 2:09:31 PM EDT
[#14]
I think you'll be happy with it.

Fry's is weird as they sometime have great deals but they don't carry some of the most common brands either.

I got a $2000 ReadyNAS for $600 last year from them
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 2:17:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I think you'll be happy with it.

Fry's is weird as they sometime have great deals but they don't carry some of the most common brands either.

I got a $2000 ReadyNAS for $600 last year from them
View Quote
They have everything else Tripp Lite makes except battery backups. They even have Hyundai hard drives
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 2:49:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Yeah they are a weird outfit.  I still like them though :-)
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 7:45:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
AND they have damn near everything you would ever need!   They also price match internet prices!

Triplite back up ordered.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 8:52:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
AND they have damn near everything you would ever need!   They also price match internet prices!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't know that they matched prices....interesting.

I think you'll like it.

Remember though I said this is a disease and you'll be back for more advice in no time
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 11:51:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I think you'll like it.

Remember though I said this is a disease and you'll be back for more advice in no time
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think you'll like it.

LOL Wife just asked "So when are you starting your next nerdy project...."
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 12:13:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think you'll like it.

I know that question all too well :-)

I have 2 words for you:
Plex
PlayOn

I have my own Netflix now LOL.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 3:28:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I know that question all too well :-)

I have 2 words for you:
Plex
PlayOn

I have my own Netflix now LOL.
View Quote
Lol.

I HAVE to tinker or have some project going...
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 6:33:21 PM EDT
[#22]
@jlficken

So i got a chance to look at the free battery back up.  Battery is dead and not charging, CPS3.6-12.   Should I hack it to a marine battery, or buy a stock replacement and toss this backup on something else around the house?
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 8:10:34 PM EDT
[#23]
If you can find a replacement battery to test cheap I'd give it a try.  Otherwise it couldn't hurt to rig it up to the other battery but I'd test it to make sure it is charging/discharging correctly before trusting it.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 10:10:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
If you can find a replacement battery to test cheap I'd give it a try.  Otherwise it couldn't hurt to rig it up to the other battery but I'd test it to make sure it is charging/discharging correctly before trusting it.
View Quote
Further testing and fiddle fucking with it....

Its going to the trash.

I cant get anything from the "battery" side leads.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 10:20:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Its going to the trash.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its going to the trash.

I'd say that is a good call.
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 10:30:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I'd say that is a good call.
View Quote
All done.  Battery Back up has arrived and installed.   Modem, NVR and ROuter will run on backup. Test says 159 min

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top