Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/9/2021 2:48:06 PM EDT
Does anyone know of a small radio pouch, small enough for a Yaesu FT3? Don’t need anything the size of a MBITR pouch?
Link Posted: 7/9/2021 2:53:30 PM EDT
[#1]
You might have better luck looking at grenade pouches, maybe stick the antenna out of the sides.
Or an elastic one like a BFG tenspeed. I use one similar for my Motorola.
Link Posted: 7/9/2021 3:01:07 PM EDT
[#2]
If you want an open-top type, Spector Gear makes one specifically for that radio.  They have several other ones for similar small HTs.

https://www.spectergear.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SG%2D1221
Link Posted: 7/9/2021 4:38:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you want an open-top type, Spector Gear makes one specifically for that radio.  They have several other ones for similar small HTs.

View Quote

That works. Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 7/9/2021 4:40:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You might have better luck looking at grenade pouches, maybe stick the antenna out of the sides.
Or an elastic one like a BFG tenspeed. I use one similar for my Motorola.
View Quote

I was about to go that route but thought I would ask here before I did.
Link Posted: 7/9/2021 4:46:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I got something like this from 5.11 in 2019 and it barely fits a UV5R... this (newer?) version may be the same size or slightly larger:

https://www.511tactical.com/radio-pouch.html

ETA: Nevermind, this seems to be the better option:

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/9/2021 7:41:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I use M4 double mag pouches for radios this size.

Cover on pouch protects them well too, for radios that aren't water/dust proof.
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 4:20:30 AM EDT
[#7]
I use a Eagle Industries Smoke Grenade pouch for my FT3DR. I have a 90° adapter to my CAATail antena and a Disco32 right angle PTT adapter in there too. I also have the radio dummy corded into the webbing that is inside the pouch to keep from losing it. Its a snug fit with the PTT adapter in there, but its not impossible to get out either.
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 6:33:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I use a Eagle Industries Smoke Grenade pouch for my FT3DR. I have a 90° adapter to my CAATail antena and a Disco32 right angle PTT adapter in there too. I also have the radio dummy corded into the webbing that is inside the pouch to keep from losing it. Its a snug fit with the PTT adapter in there, but its not impossible to get out either.
View Quote

I was looking at the CAATail RTO for mine, and possibly a CommGear PTT.
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 7:18:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I was looking at the CAATail RTO for mine, and possibly a CommGear PTT.
View Quote
The various cat tail style antennas have their place, as a low profile, out of the way antenna when you just need to talk to your squad or group within reasonably close range. But they are not efficient antennas so don't expect any great performance from them. They were made primarily for conveince of not having to deal with a 2 foot whip sticking out of your vest and getting in the way.
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 7:44:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The various cat tail style antennas have their place, as a low profile, out of the way antenna when you just need to talk to your squad or group within reasonably close range. But they are not efficient antennas so don't expect any great performance from them. They were made primarily for conveince of not having to deal with a 2 foot whip sticking out of your vest and getting in the way.
View Quote

I’ve got a roll up J for longer range use. Just using the weave for short range (like LOS mas o menos) as you say.
Link Posted: 7/11/2021 1:10:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Have you trained to deploy that hole for longer range commo checks?  It's a hassle if you dont do it regularly.

It IS possible to affix same to a fiberglass rod, like a fishing pole, and rod or back of PC or a ruck for talking on the move, just watch for low trees!

In my experience, any good 1/4 wave whip will outperform a cat tail weaving type.  Easy to control and keep out of the way, just tuck top of antenna into PALS on shoulder strap, etc.
Link Posted: 7/11/2021 8:43:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Have you trained to deploy that hole for longer range commo checks?  It's a hassle if you dont do it regularly.

It IS possible to affix same to a fiberglass rod, like a fishing pole, and rod or back of PC or a ruck for talking on the move, just watch for low trees!

In my experience, any good 1/4 wave whip will outperform a cat tail weaving type.  Easy to control and keep out of the way, just tuck top of antenna into PALS on shoulder strap, etc.
View Quote

Yes I do. In fact I usually string that up in a magnolia tree when I sit under it while I play with the dog and monitor a couple of local repeaters and simplex traffic coming out of Dallas.
I’ve also got an Abbree measuring tape along with the OEM whip. Just depends on what I want to play with.
Link Posted: 7/11/2021 11:03:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Right on. J pole, not hole.

I attached a golf ball to the end of the 550 cord on mine, makes it alot easier to get it up over a branch.
Top Top