BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 121
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:41:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dixy2k:

Maybe you can set them up on a helmet, one for the long distance and the other short-medium distance. (zoom in and zoom out)
View Quote

One is going on a helmet and maybe one on an AR.

Just curious about durability and if anyone has run one on an AR.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:22:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Doodles:

One is going on a helmet and maybe one on an AR.

Just curious about durability and if anyone has run one on an AR.
View Quote

The way the focus works on the Fandyfire means the entire head would probably move back and forth each time you fire your weapon. Recoil would be a bitch on this little light.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:33:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By JoeJeeps:

The way the focus works on the Fandyfire means the entire head would probably move back and forth each time you fire your weapon. Recoil would be a bitch on this little light.
View Quote

Cool thx.

I have rifle rated IR illuminators in the 850 range so not a big loss. I was trying to stay above in the 940 range.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:46:26 PM EDT
[#4]

Cool thx.

I have rifle rated IR illuminators in the 850 range so not a big loss. I was trying to stay above in the 940 range.
View Quote

You bet. I just got two in the mail today. One is going on my helmet. The other will be a handheld or just a spare. The head telescopes in and out with just a little friction. That was a surprise to me.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:00:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GroundhogOZ] [#5]
Originally Posted By revengeismine:
When you thought you couldn't get a worse Sionyx review than TRex Arms....this guy comes along

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zrdBpKv18c
View Quote

That is a strange review and was taken from a standpoint of "I've made up my mind already".  

I have owned both the Aurora and now the Pro - there is a marked improvement in the performance of the Pro over the Aurora, this is very clear.  

Do the Aurora and Pro out perform a reasonable Gen2+ unit in a low light environment......no, but they most certainly do in higher light environments and in particular around anything with lights.  

Moreover, the Pro is starting to get close to a reasonable Gen2+ unit.  

Also, I note the author failed to acknowledge the many pluses the Aurora and Pro have over conventional analogue NODs - photos, videos, digital zoom, colour, GPS and compass to name a few.  

Mounting is a total non issue - I use a Lions Solutions Fast Bridge and 4/24 dovetail mount.  Zero problems.  

I would categorically state this, if SiOnyx had released its fully functioning AR it would have taken the primary producer and industrial 24/7 market by storm and relegated analogue tubes to very specific case use.  

Also I am agnostic with regard to the technology e.g. I use thermal, analogue and digital VIS-NIR.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:01:41 PM EDT
[#6]

Cool thx.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Cool thx.

If you have any P60 compatible flashlight hosts, Amazon has a 940nm head available. I have one and a 850nm head for my Solarforce L2 hosts.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:13:45 PM EDT
[#7]

If you have any P60 compatible flashlight hosts, Amazon has a 940nm head available. I have one and a 850nm head for my Solarforce L2 hosts.
View Quote

Good tip. I'll have to check. They both came from ATN when I bought the X-sight 2.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:43:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JoeJeeps] [#8]
Never mind.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:45:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Are you guys painting over the led indicator to be more stealthy?

Does that present any problems?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:42:56 PM EDT
[#10]
vinyl tape works
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:11:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Are you guys painting over the led indicator to be more stealthy?

Does that present any problems?
View Quote

I camo painted both of my sports in their entirety.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:45:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JoeJeeps] [#12]
Never mind.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:52:47 PM EDT
[#13]

View Quote

So you don't end up needing that light to program the unit or anything? It's just there as a charging indicator? I'll probably just put a dab of black paint on it in that case.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:53:54 PM EDT
[#14]

View Quote

I saw them, they look awesome. What size lens covers did you end up using? Are those just the Butler Creeks?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:52:52 PM EDT
[#15]

So you don't end up needing that light to program the unit or anything? It's just there as a charging indicator? I'll probably just put a dab of black paint on it in that case.
View All Quotes

If you are talking about this led

It's the charging, power, and I believe shutter recording indicator. No issue covering it up.

I saw them, they look awesome. What size lens covers did you end up using? Are those just the Butler Creeks?

Thanks man. Appreciate the compliment. They are butler creek #8 blizzard caps. They have been a bitch to find.

Amazon has a 2 pack from a 3rd party available now for $22. 1 left.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XZ5R9NY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_mSJbGbGC3GQYY?psc=1

I have an extra set myself.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:11:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Perfect. I nabbed that last set. I have some of gaspain's IRnightshades inbound as well. I'll just have to figure out which I like once they get here.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:36:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By mickdonaldson:

The different models have different numbers. The OG Classic was at 1.09 (IIRC) when I got the Sport, but the Sport was at 1.0. My Pros were at 1.0 (last check was November), now its up to 1.10 apparently.

If they fixed the Eye Sensor IR bug on the Pro...you're welcome I bug the sh*t out of those poor guys.
View Quote

My Pros are at v1.32. Looked in the mirror to see if there was a "shoot me light" and didn't see anything. Is this issue considered fixed now?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:13:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By gaspain:
just a reminder to start with this:

Tips for setting up SiOnyx camera for helmet use as of 9/14/2019, subject to firmware changes:
1-Use Video mode, set EIS off, FPS to 30, 720p, HDR on (or photo mode)
2-Long press the SET button to access the menu, Toggle down to EVF Time Out and set to "Never". Then scroll down to image and set to invert on the left camera.
3-Zoom in 3 clicks for 1:1 view (using the 4 way buttons). Use 2 clicks for the Pro version.
4-Turn down viewfinder illumination almost all the way (using the 4 way buttons)
5-Rotate front ring from Day to Night mode.
View Quote

Bumping this up for the noobs like me. This answered most of my settings questions.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:59:32 AM EDT
[#19]

My Pros are at v1.32. Looked in the mirror to see if there was a "shoot me light" and didn't see anything. Is this issue considered fixed now?
View Quote

Good to know, my Pro is also 1.32 FW.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:07:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JoeJeeps] [#20]
I'd also note that 1:1 seems to be three clicks now on the Pro. Everything I read previously said it was 2 clicks, but not for me with firmware v1.32. Can anyone else confirm?

ETA: My zoom settings go back to default every time I power off the camera. Is that normal?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:57:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Interesting - on the Aurora  it was a very definite 3 clicks.

On the Pro I have been using both 2 and 3 clicks - for me either seem to work.  The zoom does a reset every time you restart.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:06:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: glklvr] [#22]

Bumping this up for the noobs like me. This answered most of my settings questions.
View Quote

Thanks for finding this. I just updated my firmware and it reset everything back to factory so I was looking for the needed settings.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 8:16:49 PM EDT
[#23]

If you are talking about this led
https://i.ibb.co/M21H14Z/240x400-Sionyx-Aurora-Sport-81665098-d15b-4997-b422-c7b6e94c4583-1600x.jpg
It's the charging, power, and I believe shutter recording indicator. No issue covering it up.

Thanks man. Appreciate the compliment. They are butler creek #8 blizzard caps. They have been a bitch to find.

Amazon has a 2 pack from a 3rd party available now for $22. 1 left.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XZ5R9NY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_mSJbGbGC3GQYY?psc=1

I have an extra set myself.
View Quote

Thanks for the heads up on the lens covers - I also ordered a set (they restock on 2nd Feb)

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:45:41 PM EDT
[#24]
I updated my firmware on my Sport, I think it is easily 10-15% better at sensitivity now.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:25:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Doodles] [#25]
I updated my firmware on my Sport, I think it is easily 10-15% better at sensitivity now.
View Quote

Awesome!

What's the new version #?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:50:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JoeJeeps] [#26]
Originally Posted By glklvr:

Thanks for finding this. I just updated my firmware and it reset everything back to factory so I was looking for the needed settings.
View Quote

You bet. I will say that I decided to leave gain at zero. Lowering the brightness (gain) via the d pad just made the picture darker for me, but I didn't notice any improvement in the picture. This is on a set of Pros.

I still need to fool around with settings some more under differing conditions, but so far I'm impressed...100% cloud cover with street lights 1 mile away...I can see everything in the field behind my house with no IR help.

What my phone sees:
Attachment Attached File

What Sionyx sees:
Attachment Attached File

There's a bridge out there that's about a mile from my house.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:22:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GroundhogOZ] [#27]
Nice work - looks good, do you know what shutter speed you used?  Try specific shutter speeds under manual :)

1/60 = 60fps = 60Hz etc
1/30 = 30fps
1/15 = 15fps
1/7.5 = 7.5fps
1/4 = 4fps
1/2 = 2fps
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:24:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GroundhogOZ] [#28]

The photo above is in NL5 conditions - could not see my hand in front of my face.  2FPS, HDR OFF, gain 0.  

Photo taken inside building - building is beneath significant tree canopy.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:45:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By GroundhogOZ:
Nice work - looks good, do you know what shutter speed you used?  Try specific shutter speeds under manual :)

1/60 = 60fps = 60Hz etc
1/30 = 30fps
1/15 = 15fps
1/7.5 = 7.5fps
1/4 = 4fps
1/2 = 2fps
View Quote

I think it's just on auto. The pic looks worse than what I see through the view finder. I was most impressed that I figured out the wifi connection and got it transferred to my phone. I'm no photographer.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:39:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Got my Sport in yesterday. Was amazed at actually how good it was out of the box. Need to play with some settings now.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 4:31:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Can someone tell me what this is? LED light? Tiny IR illuminator? I looked through the owners manual didn't see it mentioned. Haven't noticed it turn on based on any actions I've taken.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 6:07:24 PM EDT
[#32]
rec light
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 6:40:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Alright. I think it is time to jump into the NV game. I have a cheap ATAirsoft airsoft helmet with a mount on the front.  

There doesn't seem to he much of an improvement from the Sport to the black that would make that jump worth it. I kinda want the pro but might wait a little longer.  1k is hard to swallow at the moment.  

So with the sport, I would need the bridge: https://www.etsy.com/listing/869498209/sionyx-aurora-bridge-for-helmet-mounting?show_sold_out_detail=1&ref=nla_listing_details

Then the helmet mount:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082MBWZB4/ref=cm_sw_r_u_apa_fabc_89kcGb5X9DSF4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

This would get me up and running, correct?
I plan on grabbing a cheap IR light and then trying to find a decent IR laser.

I really wish this didn't come in just white. Looks like I will be breaking out the camo duct tape. I'll be looking to upgrade to the pro in a few months when funds allow and I can actually find one not at full retail.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 6:48:50 PM EDT
[#34]
View Quote

Nice! Gonna check mine for an update!
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:23:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JoeJeeps] [#35]
rec light
View Quote

So what turns that on and off?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:07:42 PM EDT
[#36]

So what turns that on and off?
View Quote

record button
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:16:48 PM EDT
[#37]

record button
View Quote

I thought maybe it was a "receiving" light sensor thingy. Record makes more sense.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:19:39 PM EDT
[#38]
What does everyone set brightness to? Is that better on low/medium or is auto fine?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:25:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JoeJeeps] [#39]
Originally Posted By Walleyeguy24:
Alright. I think it is time to jump into the NV game. I have a cheap ATAirsoft airsoft helmet with a mount on the front.  

There doesn't seem to he much of an improvement from the Sport to the black that would make that jump worth it. I kinda want the pro but might wait a little longer.  1k is hard to swallow at the moment.  

So with the sport, I would need the bridge: https://www.etsy.com/listing/869498209/sionyx-aurora-bridge-for-helmet-mounting?show_sold_out_detail=1&ref=nla_listing_details

Then the helmet mount:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082MBWZB4/ref=cm_sw_r_u_apa_fabc_89kcGb5X9DSF4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

This would get me up and running, correct?
I plan on grabbing a cheap IR light and then trying to find a decent IR laser.

I really wish this didn't come in just white. Looks like I will be breaking out the camo duct tape. I'll be looking to upgrade to the pro in a few months when funds allow and I can actually find one not at full retail.
View Quote

@Walleyeguy24

Yes, that should get you up and running.

This mount would probably allow you to get a little closer to your eye with the Wilcox, but I think either will work.

There's no way I could stick with the white Aurora Sport. Lots of good paint jobs in this thread.

ETA: Another in stock option: https://www.etsy.com/listing/736736031/irmount-mk1c-adaptive-mount-fits-all?ref=shop_home_active_3&crt=1
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:16:33 AM EDT
[#40]
So some advice please ...

This is the helmet I have :

Am I going to be good with either a Notoros Rhino II ( dovetail or converted with an AKA2 ) , or an L4 G24 , and gaspain's MK2 mount ?
I see the posts about the angle and the helmet type and not sure where I stand ...

Appreciate any input .
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:28:26 AM EDT
[#41]

Awesome!

View Quote
+1 to this question for the latest Sport firmware. I'm on 1.0 and feel like I'm taking crazy pills with all this new FW talk the app doesn't seem interested in updating anything.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:31:27 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By DieselII:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/256381/opscore_A14782_multicam-1-1789207.jpg

Am I going to be good with either a Notoros Rhino II ( dovetail or converted with an AKA2 ) , or an L4 G24 , and gaspain's MK2 mount ?
I see the posts about the angle and the helmet type and not sure where I stand ...

Appreciate any input .
View Quote

looks okay, but I don't know what helmet that is....so maybe probably
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:32:28 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By 135Patriots:
+1 to this question for the latest Sport firmware. I'm on 1.0 and feel like I'm taking crazy pills with all this new FW talk the app doesn't seem interested in updating anything.
View Quote

I dunno, just connect via the app...it did not tell me what version.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:09:17 AM EDT
[#44]
View Quote

you have to have the aurora connected to the app - then you can check and update the firmware from the app.  It takes about 20 seconds.  Then you have to switch the aurora off and then back on to reboot.  Current firmware version is 1.32.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:07:30 AM EDT
[#45]

View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/256381/opscore_A14782_multicam-1-1789207.jpg

Appreciate any input .

Shit sorry ....

It's an Ops-Core Fast Bump High Cut - just not sure if this falls in the ballistic helmet category or air soft style ?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:13:27 AM EDT
[#46]
Shit sorry ....

It's an Ops-Core Fast Bump High Cut - just not sure if this falls in the ballistic helmet category or air soft style ?
View Quote

Its what is known as a bump helmet - basically good for climbing, whitewater and jumping (if its a real OPS Core).  Ballistic helmets don't have water release holes/breathers
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:08:00 AM EDT
[#47]

Its what is known as a bump helmet - basically good for climbing, whitewater and jumping (if its a real OPS Core).  Ballistic helmets don't have water release holes/breathers
View All Quotes
Shit sorry ....

Ok , yes it's a real one , so this should be good then going forward as the spec on this wouldn't be like a ballistic helmet then ? or I'll need to try and find out ?
Anyone with a similar please chime in .
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:10:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Praimfiya] [#48]
View All Quotes

Awesome!

@135Patriots

Version 1.32
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:16:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Praimfiya] [#49]
Originally Posted By @:
Shit sorry ....

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By @:

Appreciate any input .

Shit sorry ....

@DieselII

Like Gaspain mentioned, it is a bump helmet, not a ballistic. It will work fine. With it being a Genuine Ops Core Fast HC, the Airsoft equivalent is the BJ Helmet - which a ton of people utilize with Auroras and works with both the RHNO2 and LG24 and Gaspain's mount.

Just for reference - what I posted back on Page 90

BJ helmets have the pointed vent holes with molded shroud
PJ helmets have the oval vent holes with removable shroud
MH helmets have no vent holes with a removable shroud

BJ is based on the Ops Core Fast Bump HC
PJ is based on the Ops Core Fast Carbon HC
MH is based on the Ops Core Fast XP HC ballistic

You also have the Maritime (airsoft) helmet (4 slots on the rear ARC rail) which is based on the Ops Core Fast SF Super Hight Cut ballistic (originally called the MT Super High Cut).
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:49:46 PM EDT
[#50]

you have to have the aurora connected to the app - then you can check and update the firmware from the app.  It takes about 20 seconds.  Then you have to switch the aurora off and then back on to reboot.  Current firmware version is 1.32.
View Quote
Thanks to you and @revengeismine

Here's what I've done
1. Turn on wifi on the Aurora
2. Open mobile app (Android) and "find" the Aurora, then connect to it
3. Go to the home screen of the app

I can see what FW it's on, but I don't get any notification about an update, nor do I see any toggle or screen for updating. This seems to follow the Sionyx instructions but clearly I'm doing something wrong. What am I missing here?
Page / 121
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top