Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 121
Link Posted: 9/14/2019 12:49:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I haven't had too much chance to play with mine,  But I have noticed that turning the dial to the "off" position doesn't turn it off.  Is there another button to press, or did I change a setting I shouldn't have?
Link Posted: 9/14/2019 2:37:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AR4U:
I haven't had too much chance to play with mine,  But I have noticed that turning the dial to the "off" position doesn't turn it off.  Is there another button to press, or did I change a setting I shouldn't have?
View Quote
Off should be off. That's strange
Link Posted: 9/14/2019 2:42:45 PM EDT
[#3]
@gaspain. We appreciate the hard work and I plan on buying one.  I hear what you are saying about it not being a money making exercise.  Have you thought about selling or licensing the design to Sionyx or someone with larger-scale production capabilities?
Link Posted: 9/14/2019 7:20:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Great thread.

Anyone find a lens cover for eye piece side?  I saw that the Butler Creek 30-31 will fit on the front.

Right now I plan on using a stretchy ACOG type cover for it if I can find one to fit.
Link Posted: 9/14/2019 7:33:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Macumazahn:
Great thread.

Anyone find a lens cover for eye piece side?  I saw that the Butler Creek 30-31 will fit on the front.

Right now I plan on using a stretchy ACOG type cover for it if I can find one to fit.
View Quote
A lot of people are putting PVS-14 eye pieces on.  I'm not sure how that would help the eye relief situation, as it's already got to be very close to your eye.  I've tried taking the stock ones off to see if I could get closer.
Link Posted: 9/14/2019 8:25:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm to pull the trigger on one of these, what are the differences between the sport and the original? Is the original worth the extra money?
Link Posted: 9/14/2019 9:44:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By BUDLIGHT906:
I'm to pull the trigger on one of these, what are the differences between the sport and the original? Is the original worth the extra money?
View Quote
The original has a GPS, Accelerometer, Recoil detection and some other features.  Nothing I needed or wanted.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 6:44:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: killahalee] [#8]
Joined because of this thread. Excellent info. Thank you, everyone.
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 11:54:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mickdonaldson] [#9]
Just got back from a 10 hour "not a night vision training class", AKA: "Just a meeting of like minded professionals shooting under NODs, offering opinions"  - Dual Auroras did very well. When something came up where I thought the device was faltering, I heard the same limitations from some of the PVS-14 guys. Cloudless, Full Moon. Cloudy, No Moon, and you'd need IR to keep up, but she is more capable than what people give her credit for. One really weird one was Black vs White steel silhouettes, and how distance, atmospherics, and even time of night, makes them appear, disappear, and re-appear for various reasons. I lost sight of them at about 250 yds before the moon was high enough. Then later, after the humidity dropped, and the moon got higher, I could see them again. It was a cool training experience.

Interestingly, the Digital Zoom actually came in handy at one point - we were doing a "Jungle Lane" with a suppressed 9mm, and there was down time during each individual run - when the rest of us were looking back at the white and black steel silhouettes at about 5-700yds away - I could see them zoomed all the way in, the other guys couldn't. This was where I was behind the power curve a bit - I had to use helmet mounted IR - it was super thick "triple canopy" woods. I was also in Color mode for this, everything else I did in Grey - I think Grey is better. After, a couple of the 14 guys said they missed seeing some of the targets, so it was pretty dark in there, even with the Moon.

Had my original Aurora give me one problem, the Sport was flawless. The OG had a screen freeze while I was mashing Gain and Zoom buttons like a mad man, playing around. Off didn't turn the screen off. So I just disconnected from external power, popped off the EVF, and removed/reinserted the internal battery - worked like a charm, "rebooted" everything and I was back in business.

I would recommend the Anker 15,000 Redux - At one point, after an hour or two, I noticed my battery bar (for the internal) dropped 1 notch. That Redux has a Status/Start Charging button located right next to the ports, and offers a "Trickle" feature, for devices that draw very little power and don't trigger the normal charging circuit, If you press and hold for 3 seconds, you enter trickle mode. After I saw the bar drop, I just pressed and held for 3 seconds and got 4 bars back. I then just pressed and held, at about 1 hour intervals after that, and had 4 bars the rest of the night. We were under NODs for about 7 hours.

Make sure you "Cat Crap"your EVF screens Was also thinking about putting an optically clear screen protector on them, but don't know how those handle condensation due to perspiration.
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 12:03:47 PM EDT
[#10]
I just read through this whole thread.

I am a believer.

Before I pull the trigger on a sport, what is the current consensus for J-arm alternatives now that Chaim is OOS?

The MACHO looks cool, but pricey for a mono set up.
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 12:24:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Ghostdog1066:
I just read through this whole thread.

I am a believer.

Before I pull the trigger on a sport, what is the current consensus for J-arm alternatives now that Chaim is OOS?

The MACHO looks cool, but pricey for a mono set up.
View Quote
Wait on gaspain to finish his 3D printed model. That's about it unfortunately
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 12:38:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By mickdonaldson:
Just got back from a 10 hour "not a night vision training class", AKA: "Just a meeting of like minded professionals shooting under NODs, offering opinions"  - Dual Auroras did very well. When something came up where I thought the device was faltering, I heard the same limitations from some of the PVS-14 guys. Cloudless, Full Moon. Cloudy, No Moon, and you'd need IR to keep up, but she is more capable than what people give her credit for. One really weird one was Black vs White steel silhouettes, and how distance, atmospherics, and even time of night, makes them appear, disappear, and re-appear for various reasons. I lost sight of them at about 250 yds before the moon was high enough. Then later, after the humidity dropped, and the moon got higher, I could see them again. It was a cool training experience.

Interestingly, the Digital Zoom actually came in handy at one point - we were doing a "Jungle Lane" with a suppressed 9mm, and there was down time during each individual run - when the rest of us were looking back at the white and black steel silhouettes at about 5-700yds away - I could see them zoomed all the way in, the other guys couldn't. This was where I was behind the power curve a bit - I had to use helmet mounted IR - it was super thick "triple canopy" woods. I was also in Color mode for this, everything else I did in Grey - I think Grey is better. After, a couple of the 14 guys said they missed seeing some of the targets, so it was pretty dark in there, even with the Moon.

Had my original Aurora give me one problem, the Sport was flawless. The OG had a screen freeze while I was mashing Gain and Zoom buttons like a mad man, playing around. Off didn't turn the screen off. So I just disconnected from external power, popped off the EVF, and removed/reinserted the internal battery - worked like a charm, "rebooted" everything and I was back in business.

I would recommend the Anker 15,000 Redux - At one point, after an hour or two, I noticed my battery bar (for the internal) dropped 1 notch. That Redux has a Status/Start Charging button located right next to the ports, and offers a "Trickle" feature, for devices that draw very little power and don't trigger the normal charging circuit, If you press and hold for 3 seconds, you enter trickle mode. After I saw the bar drop, I just pressed and held for 3 seconds and got 4 bars back. I then just pressed and held, at about 1 hour intervals after that, and had 4 bars the rest of the night. We were under NODs for about 7 hours.

Make sure you "Cat Crap"your EVF screens Was also thinking about putting an optically clear screen protector on them, but don't know how those handle condensation due to perspiration.
View Quote
Great feedback. Was very impressed when you were keeping up with the rest of the guys out at 150yd or so on those targets that were blending in with the rock wall pretty well. Agreed that as soon as you blast enough IR, the Aurora picks things up pretty dang well. You probably got some great video footage from the evening as well.
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 1:25:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By jwramp:

Great feedback. Was very impressed when you were keeping up with the rest of the guys out at 150yd or so on those targets that were blending in with the rock wall pretty well. Agreed that as soon as you blast enough IR, the Aurora picks things up pretty dang well. You probably got some great video footage from the evening as well.
View Quote
I have 2 hrs... all upside down I need to flip them all - Three are 29 minutes long - I think the Aurora auto-stops as a safety measure (so you don't fill up a card on accident), so there are gaps. The other two are about 15 minutes - to change some settings you need to stop recording, and I forgot to hit the record button again. As usual, they look worse than what I saw - but they still look dang decent at 720p. I'll email the Chief if/when I get them posted privately :thumbsup:
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 1:59:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Just a heads up if your are an Android user,I don't think Android os recognizes the video format the syonix records in. So Google photos for example doesn't 'see' the video. You'll have to use a different video application. The standard 'my files' application on my Samsung worked fine.

This is when you transfer the content from your camera to your phone. I guess if you transferred to your computer you might not have that issue but I do a lot of this on my phone
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 5:04:55 PM EDT
[#15]

View Quote
What's cat crap?
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 5:31:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 7:15:31 PM EDT
[#17]
How do you stop the viewfinder from timing out and going black? It happens for me within 30 seconds. Do you have to be recording? I have my auto power off to "OFF".
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 7:33:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By notesinhispockets:
How do you stop the viewfinder from timing out and going black? It happens for me within 30 seconds. Do you have to be recording? I have my auto power off to "OFF".
View Quote
I had the same issue initially and was momentarily worried.  Turns out you have to hold the middle button down (long press) to get into the advanced menu.  It’s either in the settings mode or in the photo menu, but it is a setting.  EVF time-out or something of that nature.
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 7:42:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Senoj:

I had the same issue initially and was momentarily worried.  Turns out you have to hold the middle button down (long press) to get into the advanced menu.  It’s either in the settings mode or in the photo menu, but it is a setting.  EVF time-out or something of that nature.
View Quote
Yup...

The Manual

Page 59.    Turn the dial to loop.    Long-press the menu button.   Turn off EVF.

I had the same issue, and fixed it thusly.
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 7:42:32 PM EDT
[#20]

View Quote
Thank you!
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 7:56:20 PM EDT
[#21]
That’s also how you get into settings like the Night Color/Grey/Green modes.
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 8:42:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: savagemann] [#22]
I think I have found the perfect cables to run for our application.
They just need a spritz of krylon or aerovoe paint.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01COTBHV0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Got my helmet all setup.

USTS NVG Counterweight Pouch. I may be able to squeeze an Anker 15,000 MAH pack in there.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01K3Q0YVU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Anker 10,000MAH battery. Has 1 output. Perfect for a single unit.
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 9:33:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By JoeMal:
Wait on gaspain to finish his 3D printed model. That's about it unfortunately
View Quote
https://www.etsy.com/shop/kiloohm?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=736736031

Link Posted: 9/15/2019 9:52:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Boom!
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 10:13:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Ordered. Can't wait to get the mount!
Thanks Gaspain!!!!
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 10:54:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AR4U] [#26]
My power issue seems to have gone away on its own.  Off is now off.
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 11:13:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Are you going to sell the FDE version of this mount?
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 11:58:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gaspain] [#28]
Originally Posted By VanceMMA:

Are you going to sell the FDE version of this mount?
View Quote
@VanceMMA not at first, but if you add a note to the order I will make it so. Look at the eyepiece adapters to see if the shade of tan is okay.
Link Posted: 9/16/2019 12:34:46 AM EDT
[#29]
I cannot find anyone selling PN 14003p01 for the shoe.  Are there other shoes that work?
Link Posted: 9/16/2019 12:47:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/16/2019 12:52:43 AM EDT
[#31]
I got an email from them asking about a preference for newer products; higher resolution 1080p up to 4k or focus on 2x or even 3x better low light capability and remain at the lower 720p. I responded that they should focus on low light sensitivity.
Link Posted: 9/16/2019 5:25:48 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By mancow:
I got an email from them asking about a preference for newer products; higher resolution 1080p up to 4k or focus on 2x or even 3x better low light capability and remain at the lower 720p. I responded that they should focus on low light sensitivity.
View Quote
And better eye relief on the EVF.  Ideally it would be large enough to see the entire FOV at 1:1 and not have to zoom any.
Link Posted: 9/16/2019 6:55:15 AM EDT
[#33]
And better eye relief on the EVF.  Ideally it would be large enough to see the entire FOV at 1:1 and not have to zoom any.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Has anyone tried adding a lens from say a google cardboard to improve eye relief/magnification? They’re designed to allow you to focus on electronic screens near your face.
Link Posted: 9/16/2019 7:01:25 AM EDT
[#34]
View Quote
This is awesome news. Sounds like, for now, they are profitable and aren't going anywhere
Link Posted: 9/16/2019 9:01:01 AM EDT
[#35]
View Quote
Me too.
Link Posted: 9/16/2019 11:16:50 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By savagemann:
I think I have found the perfect cables to run for our application.
They just need a spritz of krylon or aerovoe paint.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01COTBHV0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
View Quote
Yes, those are the best I've found yet - the reversible plug is a god send. If you have a CHAIM, and run it on the Left Eye, you need to file/Dremel the black nub down to the blue - it's all just extra rubber. Leave as is for MACHOS.
Link Posted: 9/16/2019 1:25:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By bigspice:
I cannot find anyone selling PN 14003p01 for the shoe.  Are there other shoes that work?
View Quote
Try Third Coast Thermal.
Link Posted: 9/16/2019 1:26:46 PM EDT
[#38]
So, what's the best I'll Be Poor Right Here IR laser to go with my I'll Be Poor Right Here night vision?
Link Posted: 9/16/2019 2:06:52 PM EDT
[#39]

Yes, those are the best I've found yet - the reversible plug is a god send. If you have a CHAIM, and run it on the Left Eye, you need to file/Dremel the black nub down to the blue - it's all just extra rubber. Leave as is for MACHOS.
View Quote
+1.  Those are good cords, just make sure you get the 2’ length, which is perfect for helmets.
Link Posted: 9/16/2019 2:12:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By cttb:
So, what's the best I'll Be Poor Right Here IR laser to go with my I'll Be Poor Right Here night vision?
View Quote
I got a pair of the Streamlight TLR-2 IR eye safe light/laser.  Both laser and illuminator are IR, no white light.
The laser is good out to about 100 yards tops but has a little bloom.  The illuminator is not as good as the fandyfire and is limited to about 50 yards max.  More like a normal TLR and not an HL.

The Fandyfire 940nm lights works great, gotta say a big thanks to whoever posted them earlier!
Link Posted: 9/16/2019 2:36:42 PM EDT
[#41]
View Quote
NCStar VISM has a dual beam laser unit under 100. I bought one and had issues with it within 6 months (adjustment screws stripped) but they replaced it under warranty.  Can't say how it will hold up over time

I believe Lasermax also sells an IR laser that's advertised as a handgun laser under 150.

You can get into some of the Russian IR lasers for around 300 iirc.

All depends on level of poor
Link Posted: 9/16/2019 3:14:17 PM EDT
[#42]
View Quote
Russian Perst 1.
Google Ivan The Bear.
Link Posted: 9/16/2019 3:38:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By JoeMal:
NCStar VISM has a dual beam laser unit under 100. . . .

All depends on level of poor
View Quote
Well, my night vision looks like R2D2's baby, so . . .

Have you shot with the NCStar? If so, what happened? What kind of range does it have?
Link Posted: 9/16/2019 4:11:05 PM EDT
[#44]

Well, my night vision looks like R2D2's baby, so . . .

Have you shot with the NCStar? If so, what happened? What kind of range does it have?
View Quote
I have the NCStar on a 10/22. Love it. I zeroed the visible laser, then matched the POA of the IR to the POA of the visible.

The switch that came with mine did not fit the laser body, nor did the seller on ebay ever make it right, so I have not remote switch capabilities.

Another Arfcommer told me about running one on his AR pistol with no issues, which is why I bought mine.

@cttb
Link Posted: 9/16/2019 4:31:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: St1650] [#45]
I got mine all set up...

Not overly impressed... i mean it's decent entry level value but I'm not sure I'll keep it.

Kit:
Exfil bump helmet
TATM with homemade conversion plate
MACHO with dovetail
2x Aurora Sports
Fandyfire IR940 - helmet mounted.

PRO:
- Its really really cheap.
- Its ITAR friendly
- Its their first go at it, I can only assume they'll improve on the product's flaws.
- Couldn't see any real lag
- It records nice videos

CONS:
- The FOV is 40deg only at 0.5x - so at 1x it's very narrow. Bino setup didn't help, they should make a specific housing with integrated dovetail that would do a wide landscape bridge of both lense. As it is right now, with the narrow FOV, I actually prefer running it only on 1 eye for walking and then 2 eyes for scanning.
- It's absolutely worthless without supplemental IR, even at 75% moonlight with no clouds, I'd rather just use normal eye sight. Otherwise I could see decently up to 25y with the 940 Fandyfire, will have to try with a modlite 850 or similar.
- IR laser required to aim - Can't aim a pistol with RMR - Needs a laser (x400v, TLR VIR). I'll report back once I get my Perst4 gen 2+ on my 9mm upper.
- They need to update the EVF when you are running it on the right eye, the lense is too far right so unless you have shrek eyes you won't see the whole picture and it'll rub against your nose
- Horribly short eye relief
Link Posted: 9/16/2019 5:24:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mickdonaldson] [#46]
Originally Posted By St1650:
I got mine all set up...

Not overly impressed... i mean it's decent entry level value but I'm not sure I'll keep it.
View Quote
Just took my RMR pistol into the closet - why cant you use it?

25yds with a Fandy? Here's a screen-grab of a video I took on the range Sat night - we're at 250yds (each glowing cone is 50 yds) and I'm illuminating a row of 10 targets with the Fandy. Didn't need the light, just checking throw:

Here's another grab of a video at I think 50 yds, before moonrise - probably around 8:15 - 8:30. FOV at 50 yds as well at 1:1.

The MACHOS min PID is 64mm, though I'm at 61 or so with no problem - what's your Inter-pupilary distance? That's a device width/mount problem - you can only get 2 units so close.

But if it doesn't work for you, it doesn't work - can't argue with that!
Link Posted: 9/16/2019 5:30:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By jwramp:

Great feedback. Was very impressed when you were keeping up with the rest of the guys out at 150yd or so on those targets that were blending in with the rock wall pretty well.
View Quote
I just thought of something - switching to color may have helped. Have to test that next time !
Link Posted: 9/16/2019 6:21:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By St1650:
I got mine all set up...

Kit:
Exfil bump helmet
TATM with homemade conversion plate
MACHO with dovetail
2x Aurora Sports
Fandyfire IR940 - helmet mounted.

PRO:
- Its really really cheap.
- Its ITAR friendly
- Its their first go at it, I can only assume they'll improve on the product's flaws.
- Couldn't see any real lag
- It records nice videos

CONS:
- The FOV is 40deg only at 0.5x - so at 1x it's very narrow. Bino setup didn't help, they should make a specific housing with integrated dovetail that would do a wide landscape bridge of both lense. As it is right now, with the narrow FOV, I actually prefer running it only on 1 eye for walking and then 2 eyes for scanning.
- It's absolutely worthless without supplemental IR, even at 75% moonlight with no clouds, I'd rather just use normal eye sight. Otherwise I could see decently up to 25y with the 940 Fandyfire, will have to try with a modlite 850 or similar.
- IR laser required to aim - Can't aim a pistol with RMR - Needs a laser (x400v, TLR VIR). I'll report back once I get my Perst4 gen 2+ on my 9mm upper.
- They need to update the EVF when you are running it on the right eye, the lense is too far right so unless you have shrek eyes you won't see the whole picture and it'll rub against your nose
- Horribly short eye relief
View Quote
This is a really dumb question, and don’t take this the wrong way, but:
Do you have the Auroras in “Night” mode on the front, where you rotate to open the iris?  They ship in Day mode, but Night mode opens the iris fully and removes the IR filter.

Just had to ask.

I’m not defending the auroras, we all understand they are 1st generation devices of their kind, and individual mileage may vary.  I was very impressed with the light gathering abilities without IR, and with IR I feel like they are virtually the same performance as a PVS-14.

I do agree with your observations regarding the EVF.  There’s definitely room for improvement there.
Link Posted: 9/16/2019 6:26:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Is there a way to get the device not to "sleep"?
Link Posted: 9/16/2019 6:31:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Macumazahn:
Is there a way to get the device not to "sleep"?
View Quote
Yes, discussed earlier on this page.  Long press the menu button gets you into the advanced menu.
Page / 121
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top