Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/17/2018 9:34:30 PM EDT
I use Hornady one shot and it smells exactly like silicone spray. Anyone use Silicone for case lube?
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 1:38:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I think oil neutralizes primers
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 3:05:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 3:09:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Lanolin based lubes are better.  One shot is poor quality. 

You can make your own with 99% isopropyl and lanolin, both available on Amazon, or buy Dillon lube.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 3:10:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
It will when you don't want it to.  It won't when you do want it to.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 7:08:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I use Hornady one shot and it smells exactly like silicone spray. Anyone use Silicone for case lube?
View Quote
One Shot® Case Lube. One Shot® Case Lube with DynaGlide Plus® technology is a micro-penetrating high pressure dry film. It contains no petroleum, teflon or other synthetic silicone so it will not contaminate powder or primers.

https://www.hornady.com/reloading/case-care/lubes-and-cleaners/case-lubes
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 7:12:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
One shot is poor quality. 
View Quote
You are literally lying. Stop it.

If you you have used it and don't like it, fine. Say so.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 9:09:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I tried some 100% silicon spray one time. After digging the stuck case out of my reloading die I went back to using the old rolling lube pad.

However now I just mix my own lanolin and isopropyl alcohol solution and make cheap case lube that will do thousands of cases.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 10:28:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Lanolin and alcohol are also probably better for your health too. I reload in a small room. I try to keep aerosols down.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 10:30:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 9:08:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It will when you don't want it to.  It won't when you do want it to.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It will when you don't want it to.  It won't when you do want it to.
Haha! Isn't that the truth!
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 9:38:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
That is enough, remember which forum we're using.

I'm completely unimpressed with silicone as a lubricant.  I'll use teflon, moly, 3 in 1, and even WD-40 first.
View Quote
I agree.  One of the reasons I tend to avoid the rest of this website is because I dont feel like dealing with stupid.

One place where I find silicone to work really well is on my press deck and primer slides on my LnL.  Ill spray it on, and let it soak in and completely evaporate, then polish it dry.  Maybe its confirmation bias, but I very seldom have issues with sticking primer slides, and my press is very smooth.

Dont trash talk OneShot.  For rifle cases?  Its a hard pass for me lanolin/iso or sizing wax is better everytime.  However, for straight wall pistol cases running on a progressive?  OneShot is great as it does lower the force needed to size a great deal.  Another upside is that you dont have to tumble it off.  Its doesnt take much, just a very light spray.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 12:14:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 5:43:15 PM EDT
[#13]
One Shot is excellent for pistol brass.

I think most would agree there are better options for rifle brass.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 10:55:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Read the directions for One Shot.  That will reduce the number of stuck cases.

Whether it works well or not, it's expensive compared to alternates.
View Quote
The expense and a few stuck cases when I began reloading was enough for me to look elsewhere. I ordered the Dillon lube when ordering some other parts and found it worked much better for me. The last 10 years or so homemade lanolin/alcohol fit's the bill for 95% of my reloading with the exception of Imperial on my precision loads.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 12:18:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Though I much prefer lanolin based lubes for bottle necked cases, I believe much of the ill will directed toward  Hornady's One-Shot is by way of poor practices. Many hop between lubricants without cleaning their dies. Some don't use enough, misapply, or even fail to wait for the carrier to evaporate.

I haven't had any issues with One-Shot. For me it's more expensive and not as consistent as lanolin based lubes. It is very convenient, however.

Clean the sizing die thoroughly with a degreaser then condition it by spraying One-shot into the die. If you have the One-shot gun cleaner and lube just use that. I won't say you won't get a stuck case. There are too many variables that I can't account for.  What I will say is that if you do get a stuck case with it, examine your practices and/ or your equipment.

As for silicone... it's not a good high pressure lube and is as difficult as lanolin to remove. I'd move on to something else.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 2:09:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

As for silicone... it's not a good high pressure lube and is as difficult as lanolin to remove. I'd move on to something else.
View Quote
The high pressure surface properties of silicone are very bad.

It is far harder than lanolin to remove.
As in I do not bring silicone into my wood and metal shop for use.

The only silicone in the place is a tiny bottle of 'Fish Eye Eliminator' that is 100% silicone.

I will NOT spray with eliminator added.

I will brush a barrier layer on and then throw away everything that was touched.

At a large EW plant I worked at for many years we would not allow 'Silicone Heat Sink Paste' in the building.

It destroyed an over $100,000 cleaning sytem when someone tried to clean a heat sink for re-use.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 2:37:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Silicone is good for sealing tent seams & fish aquariums .......... i'm leaving it off brass and reloading stuff.

I made the mistake of trying a wonderlube on a bunch of guns years ago. (it says guns in the uses)

One of the worst disasters ever it turned into varnish gumbo.

I stick with tried and true stuff keep things boringly effective now.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 4:47:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Silicone is good for sealing tent seams & fish aquariums ..........
View Quote
Kills some fish.
Especially in salt water tanks.

Many of them are incredibly sensitive.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 5:37:14 PM EDT
[#20]
I don't think Hornady puts any silicone in the One Shot, silicone is not for metal on metal under high pressure I will squeeze out.

So will a lot of other things, if it contains lanolin it's usually good to go.

Reason some have problems with one shot is they don't get the lube on the whole case, they spray 2 sides while the cases sit in a box and call it good.

A little finger smearing won't kill ya right before you ram the case up the die.
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 9:29:03 AM EDT
[#21]
I've tried just about every case lube on the market.

What I found to be the best/cheapest lube is plain old non stick cooking spray (butter flavor for extra pleasure). Seriously though.

A couple short sprays into a gallon bag and spread it around so it coats the sides of the bag. Put your brass in and mix it around for a few minutes.

I have never had a single case get stuck in my resizing die and the amount of effort needed is better than any other product I've tried. Once I'm done, I use a towel to wipe off most of the cooking spray and either throw it back in my dry tumbler for 20 minutes or just call it good. It is also the fastest way to lube your brass and saved me a ton of time.

I've been doing this for a couple years now and I've never had a single problem.

Check it out!
Link Posted: 5/27/2018 8:30:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Dillon lube form the squirt bottle.  No propellants or other agents needed to make it work.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top