Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2020 5:13:27 PM EDT
I've posted about the Saker before and that Silencerco has pulled all barrel length restrictions.  I called them today on my Omega (because I kinda want a Q Sugar Weasel....).  The statement by Sico support is they now will warranty 5" subsonic and 7" supersonic barrel length for 300 Blackout on the Omega.  They said they are having issues with the website on updating the information.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 8:24:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Which Omega?  Omega 300 or Omega 9k/45k.?
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 8:57:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Which Omega?  Omega 300 or Omega 9k/45k.?
View Quote
Sorry, Omega 300.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 9:07:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I was hoping it was the 9k.

There’s also the Omega 36M now too, so the Omega confusion will continue.  The Alpha, Bravo, Charlie is the other Silencerco naming convention that’s about as memorable as the names of early primary Presidential candidates.  What was the name of the one that promised free shit again?
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 9:52:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Sugar Weasel is 7", no?
What's the issue?
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 10:04:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 2:12:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Are these restriction changes only for new production, or include earlier made omega 300's?
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 2:56:11 AM EDT
[#7]
I mean... They told me that years ago at a local shoot, and then confirmed via email that it applies to the Omega 9k as well. The guy suggested sticking to subs but said it would be fine anyway as long as the bullets are stable. I've been running my Omega 9k on a 7" 300blk for a few years with exclusively supers.

Also the Omega 30 is good down to 10" with grendel (from another email).

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 9:35:18 AM EDT
[#8]
I ran across a chart once that showed muzzle pressure (uncorking) of various calibers and at various lengths.

IIRC, the uncorking with an 8" 300blk shooting supers was considerably less than a 10.5" shooting 5.56 which led me to believe the 8" restriction for the Omega 300 set by Silencerco was mainly due to stability concerns - especially with heavy long subs - and not so much baffle erosion.

I doubt there are any build changes in the newer production cans, so I'm guessing these updated ratings are merely to stay competitive.

The 9k uses the exact same baffle materials as the 300, so I've always wondered why it didnt have the same caliber rating as the 300. Someone here theorized that the baffles in the 9k may be a hair thinner than the ones in the 300 to save weight, thus regulating it to lower pressures. Makes since I guess.

Another theory is that Silencerco doesn't want to market the 9k as being rated for 5.56 due to poor DB reduction performance. If this is the case, I wonder if the release of the YHM R9 may have Silencerco reconsider.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 10:06:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I ran across a chart once that showed muzzle pressure (uncorking) of various calibers and at various lengths.

IIRC, the uncorking with an 8" 300blk shooting supers was considerably less than a 10.5" shooting 5.56 which led me to believe the 8" restriction for the Omega 300 set by Silencerco was mainly due to stability concerns - especially with heavy long subs - and not so much baffle erosion.

I doubt there are any build changes in the newer production cans, so I'm guessing these updated ratings are merely to stay competitive.

The 9k uses the exact same baffle materials as the 300, so I've always wondered why it didnt have the same caliber rating as the 300. Someone here theorized that the baffles in the 9k may be a hair thinner than the ones in the 300 to save weight, thus regulating it to lower pressures. Makes since I guess.

Another theory is that Silencerco doesn't want to market the 9k as being rated for 5.56 due to poor DB reduction performance. If this is the case, I wonder if the release of the YHM R9 may have Silencerco reconsider.
View Quote
There's another member here that has run hundreds (?) of rounds of 556 through his Omega 9k on a 14.5" AR and even 308.

I've shot 556 though my 9k on a 16" bolt gun. It wasn't quiet but it also wasn't as loud as I was expecting.

I have inquired about that as well:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 10:30:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
There's another member here that has run hundreds (?) of rounds of 556 through his Omega 9k on a 14.5" AR and even 308.

I've shot 556 though my 9k on a 16" bolt gun. It wasn't quiet but it also wasn't as loud as I was expecting.

I have inquired about that as well:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/435611/Screenshot_20200221-070315_Gmail_jpg-1285073.JPG
View Quote
Wouldn't be shocked at all if Silencerco makes some minor changes to the 9k in the near future to market it as rated for high pressure rifle rounds. IMO, it would make more sense to do that to compete with the R9, rather than to come out with a completely different can rendering the 9k obsolete.

Then again, the 36m kinda sorta already does.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 10:33:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Sugar Weasel is 7", no?
What's the issue?
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/247601/onthefence1_jpg-1284669.JPG
View Quote
I mistakenly thought the Sugar Weasel had a 6" barrel.  You are good, and honestly your thread is the reason I'm thinking of buying one.  Also, the "official" warranty info on Sico's website still states 8" for the minimum 300 blackout barrel length (Omega 300).  The 5" sub, 7" super is new-ish info and they have not updated the webpage yet.

Also, this is for all Omega 300's, not just new production.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 11:38:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I mistakenly thought the Sugar Weasel had a 6" barrel.  You are good, and honestly your thread is the reason I'm thinking of buying one.  Also, the "official" warranty info on Sico's website still states 8" for the minimum 300 blackout barrel length (Omega 300).  The 5" sub, 7" super is new-ish info and they have not updated the webpage yet.

Also, this is for all Omega 300's, not just new production.
View Quote
Couple months ago I had to send in my omega 30 to get the end cap removed. I asked at that time and was told 7" for 300BO. Should have asked about the Omega 9k as I'd like to try it on the weasel too if I can muster up the willingness to buy another $150 muzzle adapter from Q.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 1:45:44 PM EDT
[#13]
This thread is super interesting to me - I've been dying to run supers through my Omega 9k on a Sig Rattler, but people have generally said it's a no-go?

It's my HD setup, and I'd use a different can for training, so I'd really just want it to survive a few mags. This thread is making me think I should give it a try and see how it goes.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 3:01:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
This thread is super interesting to me - I've been dying to run supers through my Omega 9k on a Sig Rattler, but people have generally said it's a no-go?

It's my HD setup, and I'd use a different can for training, so I'd really just want it to survive a few mags. This thread is making me think I should give it a try and see how it goes.
View Quote
There's a guy who wrote an online review of the rattler that used an Omega 9k on it with no bad effects, and I think coregon, member here who works for sig, has run the 9k on the rattler.

I don't see why you'd have an issue for occasional use other than increased wear and it would be loud.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 4:06:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
There's a guy who wrote an online review of the rattler that used an Omega 9k on it with no bad effects, and I think coregon, member here who works for sig, has run the 9k on the rattler.

I don't see why you'd have an issue for occasional use other than increased wear and it would be loud.
View Quote
Yeah, I've seen a few people say they've used it on the Rattler, but I haven't been able to verify that they're using supers. The problem is that barrel is so dang short that subs are a little anemic for HD.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 7:31:13 PM EDT
[#16]
In case this information helps anyone else: Supersonic rounds through an Omega 9k on a 5.5" barrel (Sig Rattler) is not kosher. SilencerCo says the below picture is the result of that combination.

Link Posted: 2/24/2020 7:38:38 PM EDT
[#17]
wow. Good to know!
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 8:06:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Damn! That ain't good.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top