Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/24/2021 6:15:14 PM EDT
Maybe this isn't the right forum, and if not maybe the mods can remove this, but I thought there might be some sound experts here.

Real suppressors are a no go for my area. I have set up a 55 gallon steel drum lined with tires I am hoping act as baffles so that I can shoot through it without bothering my neighbors. I only shoot to 100 meters to keep things quieter and usually just to zero scopes or check velocities.  

This is what I have now.

Attachment Attached File

The end has carpet covered by a piece of plywood with a narrow firing slit . I also place an empty plastic barrel ahead of that.

This works better than nothing but not amazing. What sort of alterations do you think would improve performance?

My muzzle brakes have blown apart any soft foam or insulation I have put in the barrels. Would solid spray foam inside the tires help? Wrapping something around the outside? More barrels and tires?
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 6:25:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 6:32:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Block on and cover the whole thing with concrete.
View Quote

I appreciate the suggestion. I am sure it would work well but that's a bit more drastic than I was hoping to go. Sort of man portable like the barrel and tires is a nice feature. Movable by pallet forks or towable on skids would possibly work too though.

I could place some sandbags on and around it or something like that.
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 6:44:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Can you narrow the opening with smaller tires like wheelbarrow or small trailer tires?
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 6:45:55 PM EDT
[#4]
These don’t attach to the firearm so are not considered silencers. In America you can have this with no issue. In Switzerland ranges are required to build them. Check online. There are some plans.

Other thoughts include carpet instead of foam, make it as long as reasonable, and make sure you’re deep into it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 6:47:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Interesting topic.  A few years ago I looked into this some and building ranges with baffles similar to this is pretty common in some country…I’ll see if I can dig up the information I found.  

Just to make sure I’m looking at the picture right, you have the tires stuffed into the barrel, correct?

ETA: looks like Stevie beat me to it on naming the country.
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 7:08:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Interesting topic.  A few years ago I looked into this some and building ranges with baffles similar to this is pretty common in some country…I’ll see if I can dig up the information I found.  

Just to make sure I’m looking at the picture right, you have the tires stuffed into the barrel, correct?

ETA: looks like Stevie beat me to it on naming the country.
View Quote

Yeah I had to slice each tire halfway through then slide the walls inside the other side to make small enough to slide into the drum. The middle tire is a low pro to act as an expansion chamber.

Attachment Attached File

I had some mineral wool acoustic insulation that I tried but my muzzle brake blew it apart and got insulation particles all over.

The Swiss ones have some sort of acoustic dampening material in them I think.

Swiss version:
Attachment Attached File

British version (which I copied exactly with marginal results):
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 7:10:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Can you narrow the opening with smaller tires like wheelbarrow or small trailer tires?
View Quote

Possibly. I don't know where to get any used ones or how I would mount them. These tires are perfect because after I cut them open to fit they flexed back enough to hold themselves in place.

I don't mind buying better materials if need be but I want to make sure I am buying stuff that will work. The tires and barrel were free.

Would stiffening the drum help?
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 9:48:47 PM EDT
[#8]
making the openings as small as possible is probably key, imagine having a suppressor with no end cap, the baffles wouldnt be helping much. something like this
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 9:52:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
making the openings as small as possible is probably key, imagine having a suppressor with no end cap, the baffles wouldnt be helping much. something like this
View Quote

Nice. I'm betting that guy is Canadian too, haha.

I will reduce the size of the muzzle end opening.
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 10:44:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Nice. I'm betting that guy is Canadian too, haha.

I will reduce the size of the muzzle end opening.
View Quote

Its a guarantee with the french language videos and the "WK180 C Rifle"  that he's shooting in the tube of tires suppressor video.
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 11:08:45 PM EDT
[#11]
This is probably a really useless/dumb idea but since wire mesh suppressors used to be a thing would lining the inside of this with a few rolls of stucco wire help?
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 4:35:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 8:45:08 PM EDT
[#13]
A floating inner tube, if you can figure out a flexible, mating seal, can help. Sort of like a detached bloop tube.

These arrangements can collect unburned  powder and periodically that can flash over.   Lining the tires with fire resistant materials might be worth it for long term, sustained use.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 12:08:24 AM EDT
[#14]
It seems you are looking at this the wrong way, and considering this as a large silencer.  A silencer works by reducing the pressure drop of the compressed gasses, thus actually producing less sound.  With a setup like this the inside is atmospheric pressure, the sound will be produced, and you are then simply trying to block it.

2 biggest factors will be mass, and energy absorbtion of material.  Tires will work great for that, however the "chambers" in them do absolutely nothing.  Cut up more tires and fill the inside, it will work wonders.  A tight stack of sidewalls would be great, or just filling the inside of existing tires with more layers of tread
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 7:31:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It seems you are looking at this the wrong way, and considering this as a large silencer.  A silencer works by reducing the pressure drop of the compressed gasses, thus actually producing less sound.  With a setup like this the inside is atmospheric pressure, the sound will be produced, and you are then simply trying to block it.

2 biggest factors will be mass, and energy absorbtion of material.  Tires will work great for that, however the "chambers" in them do absolutely nothing.  Cut up more tires and fill the inside, it will work wonders.  A tight stack of sidewalls would be great, or just filling the inside of existing tires with more layers of tread
View Quote

Thanks. I will try that.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 7:59:44 AM EDT
[#16]
I've built a couple and experimented with them at my range property a few years back and they worked great.

Tires inside a 55 gallon plastic drum, with 3 sections of 3 inch high density foam inserts - one on each end and one in the middle.  The HD foam had smaller diameter holes I cut for bullet pass through.  

Eventually got tired of them though.  Was loud for the shooter and so awkward to use I set them aside

Pretty cool idea though OP.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 9:09:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Probably no need to get fancy. I’m not even sure I’d use a barrel just screw the tires to each other and use plywood or plastic to limit the entry and exit.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 9:45:09 AM EDT
[#18]
It needs a wipe on the other end.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 10:09:49 AM EDT
[#19]
I think you need to focus on length and a capturing medium. The video w/ the tires sounds terrible. I'd rather listen to a gunshot than that ringing sound the tires are creating. Empty barrels, lined with foam, should work well. However, I wouldn't just line the inside w/ foam. You'd need to make varying layers and a surface as unsmooth as you could. Similar to the inside of an anechoic chamber.

Quoted:  A silencer works by reducing the pressure drop of the compressed gasses, thus actually producing less sound.
View Quote

I have to disagree. I silencer works by increasing the pressure drop (across itself) and decreasing the Dp of the exiting gas (to ambient). The energy is expended through the transfer of heat and not as a waveform through open air (sound).
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 2:54:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Pretty cool idea though OP.
View Quote

Well I stole the idea from various people online. I would much, much prefer a 7" titanium unit but for my needs and with my limitations this is better than nothing and I can still pick it up and put it in my truck if I need to move it.

Quoted:
I think you need to focus on length and a capturing medium. The video w/ the tires sounds terrible. I'd rather listen to a gunshot than that ringing sound the tires are creating.
View Quote

I agree it sounds bad, but I'm not doing this to make it more enjoyable for myself. I want my shooting to be a complete non issue with my neighbors.

I really appreciate all the technical feedback.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 5:29:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Maybe a rubber floor mat on each end, and in between each tire with a slit cut into it as a baffle?  That'll limit all the sound coming back at you, and probably more durable than a rug.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top