Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2019 8:53:05 PM EDT
Title basically says it all;

For a Form 1 can;

Silencer Engraving EndCap vs. Mount which is best option all things considered.

Pros/cons of either. I did list a Model # on my ATF Form so I am hoping the engraver will have enough space for all the requisite verbiage.

@BigWaylon  I know you are a fan of this approach (versus tube) , hoping to hear what you think.

To clarify, when I say mount, I am talking opposite of the end cap (ie., like the adapter allowing attachment to say a Griffin Mount).  Hope this is clear.

ETA Form 1 is approved so no suggestions of edit/scrub the model # on the form.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 9:09:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 9:17:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, saw your name on the picture

Thanks for the comments, so mount end is the bestest
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 9:28:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 9:30:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 9:38:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just clarifying those are actually the ones I used, not just a picture I provided.

Engraving the mount just reduces an end cap strike damaging the marked portion. That’s why I recommend it. Plus the mount is usually thicker than the end cap, so there shouldn’t be a weak spot created (like some of the tubes you see cracked).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes, saw your name on the picture

Thanks for the comments, so mount end is the bestest
Just clarifying those are actually the ones I used, not just a picture I provided.

Engraving the mount just reduces an end cap strike damaging the marked portion. That’s why I recommend it. Plus the mount is usually thicker than the end cap, so there shouldn’t be a weak spot created (like some of the tubes you see cracked).
Thank you again. I was just planning on engraving the tube and then I saw the thread on the DM build that cracked  and it was a .22 can

I knew those were your mounts/caps and I spotted it here;  https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/06/06/atf-nfa-marking-requirements-get-it-right/

Not faulting DM, I believe this is an engraving issue for those who might have missed the thread:  https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/DM-tube-failure-Updated-with-photo-/55-495357/
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 1:55:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, I have lots of mounts, so it'd have to do the end caps. Not really excited about engraving the tubes.
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 2:43:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Probably not legal though since those are not silencer parts. I do not think the rule change went into effect?
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 10:33:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top