Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2018 6:13:17 PM EDT
Ghost Hunter 1X24

How good / bad are they?

Wanting to use it as a monocular and mount behind a red dot on a 22lr AR. Only expecting to get 50 or so yards with gen 1. I am well aware of the limitations.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 9:40:54 PM EDT
[#1]
You will need a good IR light and other than 10 yards will really only see what the IR lights up.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 9:45:45 PM EDT
[#2]
You would be much better off saving  little more to get at least gen2. That is really where night vision starts. I got a nice gen 2 monocular for $1100. Trust me it is a world of difference. I also have  gen 1 Spark Core for sale and no one will make an offer even with a J arm included at $300. Whatever you spend on gen 1 is really wasted.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 10:47:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You would be much better off saving  little more to get at least gen2. That is really where night vision starts. I got a nice gen 2 monocular for $1100. Trust me it is a world of difference. I also have  gen 1 Spark Core for sale and no one will make an offer even with a J arm included at $300. Whatever you spend on gen 1 is really wasted.
View Quote
Big difference in $200 - $1100 and I agree gen 2 has to be much better than any other gen 1 offerings. I was just hoping for something I can get for a 2-300 that would be good out to 50yards max. I know I said 50 or so yards but got to thinking. The practical range I would be shooting critters with my 22 would be 25-30 yards.

What your opinion of the spark. That was one of the others I was looking at.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 12:31:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Ghost Hunter 1X24

How good / bad are they?

Wanting to use it as a monocular and mount behind a red dot on a 22lr AR. Only expecting to get 50 or so yards with gen 1. I am well aware of the limitations.
View Quote
Sightmark has a lifetime warranty, so you've got that going for you.  Is this for hunting? If so I'd scrap the red dot and buy a Photon XT if you want to go cheap or the Photon RT if you want to spend a little more.  Now that the RTs have been released the XTs should be hitting the EE.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 10:25:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Sightmark has a lifetime warranty, so you've got that going for you.  Is this for hunting? If so I'd scrap the red dot and but a Photon XT if you want to go cheap or the Photon RT if you want to spend a little more.  Now that the RTs have been released the XTs should be hitting the EE.
View Quote
Didn't realize they have a life time warranty. That is a big plus.

Mainly plinking and hunting on the occasion. And when I say hunting I mean walking around the back yard at night getting rid of skunks, coons and opossums. The set up I currently have I do not want to change the red dot off of. I was hoping to just pop the NV monocular on and off of the gun.

I have looked at the Photons and they seem to get really good reviews. Watched a bunch of videos of guys overseas taking rabbits with them at night. I was originally considering another CZ455 in 22LR (I have a 17hmr) and mounting a photon to it. But got to thinking it would be way cheaper to just buy a monocular for my Ar22.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 3:28:13 PM EDT
[#6]
The sight mark would work but I would recommend getting a good IR light like the Evolva T38. For aiming at just rabbits and such I would pick up a cheap red laser. This set up would surely work for close range. You can look thru a red dot but lose a lot of light view especially with gen 1. The spark core is good and kind of small. I had it mounted on a helmet but it was not good used that way. It is a good gen 1 monocular bit with all of the usual limitations. Lthough there aren’t many gen 1’s you can helmet mount. I would just get the ghost hunter and then add an IR light with red laser
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 6:29:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah I figured I would need to add the IR light. Figured the internal SighMark IR light would bounce back off of the Red dot sight.

Academy Sports has them for $199.00 and I have $50 gift card. Just hate to blow money on stuff without hearing some intelligent feedback from guys with hands on experience. Seen a few bad reviews on Amazon and other online retailers. Must were of no use. Just the typical this thing is a peace of Sh*t. lol
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 6:43:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Sightmark CS is great.

I'd only trust their Wolverine red dots though. Their other products seem iffy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top