Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2017 8:53:10 PM EDT
I replaced the front sight on my Winchester 94 with a taller sight (.45”) in order to try out the Hornady LE ammo.  It shoots too high with the original sight.  I purchased a hood to go over it as I didn’t have the original.  My problem now is that the sight is too tall for the hood to fit.  Are there any larger hoods that will fit?   I can’t find any specs on hoods.  Some are original and some are aftermarket.  Not sure what to get
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 9:03:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Been shooting lever guns for 50 years never needed a "hood"
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 9:27:11 PM EDT
[#2]
i always though the hoods made aiming more difficult, and were the first things lost in the woods. i wouldn't bother with one.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 10:09:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Hoods without "windows" make low light shooting more difficult.

If your front sight bead is brass you should file it at a 15-20* angle off vertical with the facet perpendicular to the bore. It will collect light much better.

Also with round beads the shooter tends to favor the brighter side. The flat facet of a filed bead will have an even glow across the whole facet.

Brass beads can be filed with Emory (finger nail) boards.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 10:10:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Yea, guys, I know.  I shoot bettr without one but I use the rifle hunting in thick woods and climbing up and down a tre stand and thought it might help
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 9:28:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top