Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2020 3:36:26 PM EDT
I have not seen much written on the BRAVO 5, so thought I'd share my thoughts (for what they are worth) and what I'm experiencing.  I'd like to hear what others have to say too.

I'm running a CMMG MkG with 8" barrel.  This is the 45ACP version of the Banshee if you are not familiar.  Great gun. Plenty written about it and the 9mm version all over the place.

I did ditch the buffer and spring to install an ArmaSpec Stealth Recoil spring, which I think smooths out the action and eliminates the sproing that I find makes the gun sound cheap and tinny.  I know that's a personal thing.  Many enjoy the sproing.  Enjoy away.

After messing around with red dots and magnifiers as well as my astigmatism which results in all sorts of weird point of aim adjustments, based on initial guesses, I decided upon a prismatic scope.
An additional upside is that a prismatic scope with etched reticle eliminates the astigmatism issue and also essentially eliminates the need for back up irons.  Real estate is at a premium on this platform.

Initially I was going to get a Primary Arms 5x prism as my 3x magnifiers didn't seem like quite enough.  4x seemed ideal but no products that had that seem reasonably priced so 5x it was.  Downside is that the reticle is only set up for 556.  Might not really matter but a consideration.

Sig has a 300 BLK reticle, which is closer to what I need as my gun is intended for 450 SMC or 45 Super which has similar ballistics to 300 in the less than 100yard range my landscape will have me shooting in.

Installation was of course easy.  The glass is amazingly clear, from edge to edge, and the sight window is very wide.  Eye relief is pretty good and has a fairly wide range to work with.  

The reticle is sharp and easily visible under the cover of evergreen woods on a gloomy day, with out the illumination.  Turn the illumination on to high NV or very low regular vision and the reticle is about perfect.  Turning the illumination to high is just too much.  It looks like someone is pouring lava all over your target.  Might be good for a searing hot day in the sandy desert but not so useful for regular north eastern US woods.  Good to be able to "turn it up to 11" just cause its nice to be able to things to the extreme.

All in all this is a really nice optic in my humble opinion.  I've never used bullet drop markings before and since I'm terrible at judging distances the marks are really good reference points.

The 5x I thought would be too much but its just perfect at 30-40 yards and still clear and sharp out to 400.  Not that my gun (or I) could hit that, but I know if this optic was on a 556 or 308 it would do just fine.

The field of view is so wide that at very close ranges, with the illumination on, two eye shooting is easy.  Unfortunately I'm weak eye dominant so two eye shooting is a struggle for me, but the reticle being what it is greatly reduces the effort.

So, I'm pretty happy with this.  Beats the heck out of my red dot, and really beats the heck out of the red dot / 3x magnifier.

Anyone else out there with thoughts on these?
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 9:25:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I own a Bravo 3 and my only complaint is the weight. Otherwise the glass is super clear, the fov is great, and the optic is beefy as hell.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 8:43:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for posting your impressions - I'm seriously looking at one of these sights after reading about your experience.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top