Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2020 12:09:41 PM EDT
Has anyone had any luck improving the feel of this trigger? I haven't shot it in years but have something coming up that I need it for.

I found this old thread but the pics are gone and there aren't enough details for me to try it.

Archived thread

Link Posted: 8/24/2020 11:49:00 AM EDT
[#1]
I was in that old thread. I'm pretty sure I have my old pictures still on my computer somewhere. I'll post them here when I get home tonight.

I'll try to help with what I remember about it. It's been a few years and I don't have the 522 any more. I wish I kept it though. It was a very accurate gun for what it was and it ate pretty much anything.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 10:37:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I found this picture. On the top is the original SIG trigger spring. On the bottom is a modified AR hammer spring.

Attachment Attached File

You're going to want to take the AR hammer spring and cut the center portion at the first 90 degree bend. Then bend a new 90 degree further down. On the long end of the spring bend a bit of a curve in it.

Attachment Attached File

When you install the new modified spring in you are going it have to bring the long end around for one more twist to tension it under the shaft of the safety lever.

Attachment Attached File

You are going to have to take the safety lever partially out to do this. since it is an ambi safety yo uhave to drive a mall roll pin out of the lever on one side. I would do the left side to make it easier to get the hooked long end of the spring under it after you give it an extra wind around. It too me a few tries and a lot of cussing but I was able to do it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 10:46:26 PM EDT
[#3]
@nostalgic let me know if you have any questions
Link Posted: 8/29/2020 5:12:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Hey. Thank you. Been away for a while.

This is exactly what I was looking for. The pics were nowhere to be found. I have those in my parts bins and will give it try. I figured if I don't like it, I can always put the original parts back in.

Thank you again.

Link Posted: 9/1/2020 9:16:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Glad I could help. I rarely venture into this subforum. Glad I did
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 4:06:30 PM EDT
[#6]

Update 10/04/20

I finally had time to do this today and all I can say is wow, what a difference.

I always thought the stock trigger on the 522 felt like a heavy, mushy, single stage trigger with no consistency. After this simple spring replacement, it feels more like a two stage trigger and the break is predictable and light. This will be ideal for how I want to use the rifle.

I highly recommend trying this if you own a Sig 522 and have an AR hammer spring laying about.  If you don't like it, you are out $2 and a few minutes of your time.

Thanks again @C_Swimm for finding the original pics.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 8:19:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Glad it worked out well for you. It does make a huge improvement in the trigger pull weight. My 522 shot very accurately after I did this to my trigger. Glad I could help.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top