Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2018 11:23:59 AM EDT
I'm planning on taking lots of pictures through a PVS14.  Please school me on night vision photography and show off your setup to give me some ideas.

I have a Canon full frame camera I would like to use.  What's the best way to mount it to the PVS?
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 3:33:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the simplest "rig" that is a MUM attached to an EOS M with a DIY adapter. That adapter is a glass lens filter that fits the 18-55 kit lens, and I took one demist shield and popped the plastic lens part of it away and then glued the remaining ring to the glass filter. So the MUM eyepiece threads into the filter that threads onto the camera lens. Works just fine, but wouldn't count on the glue holding so I handle it with some care. For PVS-14 there's ready made adapters that work exactly the same.

Long exposures tend to get better, though unrealistic (close to zero noise, exposing dark images that the eye could not see anymore), pics, but that either means you need a small aperture or some kind of an ND filter. With small apertures every little speck of dust / grease stain on the eyepiece becomes a bit too visible.

Overly sized apertures is of no use as the sweet spot of a PVS-14 eyepiece is rather small anyway (rather obviously designed for a ~5mm aperture that'd be your Mark I Eyeball). Also due to the limits of the eyepiece the adapter between your lens & the eyepiece must be quite short.

The output dynamic range is massive and a good camera really helps to get both the blacks & highlights. Shoot RAW or if that's not possible for video then use a profile that gains you more DR on the video. With Canon cameras you can use Magic Lantern to get RAW video if you wish.
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 7:52:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Do most people just use the cell phone holder?  I've only taken pictures through my 1st gen with a home made phone holder.  It works well enough.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 8:23:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Depending on your objective, you may need to adapt your photography.

Sometimes it's to get the best possible picture. Other times it's to collect images that can be compared to other images.

I've used both Canon lens adapters and a small handheld. I find some of the best results I get from a simple camera fixed behind the objective lens.

Though I think the use of small phone cameras is probably the most popular, and there's a range of adapters for different phones, or at least some that could be adapted.

Unless you have a specific objective, this might be the best way to go.

Regards
David
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 8:57:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies!  I have a 5D MK4 and a G11 that I will be using.  I think the G11 might work well being compact but I will probably have to 3D print a custom adapter.  3D printing might be the way to go in any case.
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 7:04:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a D740, I’m wondering if something like the link below would work for that scope...

https://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Aluminum-Adapter-Hexagonal-Screwdriver/dp/B01532CEMG
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 11:56:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I've broken a couple of these, but the company keeps sending me new ones.  Works ok on my iPhone X.  I have a Nikon D7000 that I would love to take NV pics through, but I don't want to pony up the coin for the adapters and probably a new lens.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/Will-This-Work-With-A-PVS14/18-487416/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top