Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/22/2023 9:25:24 AM EDT
Hey all, rifle noob here with a 16" zion-15 AR with a Sig romeo 5 on it. Love the rifle overall, but want to get a suppressor. I am wondering if it is foolish to 1. suppress a 16" rifle and 2. suppress a 5.56 rifle.

It's a range toy and a SHTF weapon. I may consider it for HD duty at some point when I get more comfortable with it but for now the glocks do that.

If it's silly to suppress a 16" AR, I would likely sell it and get something shorter. I would then also need to decide if I want to go into .300 blk or stay with 5.56. I am not really sure that it warrants getting into .300 BLK for someone like myself who shoots maybe 6 times per year. I am looking to get more into it, though.

I should add that I enjoy how little backblast and how clean the 16" shoots. It's really smooth, I do not like getting pelted in the face with gas, and this rifle does a good job of avoiding that. One concern of mine if I go shorter, even with an OSS suppressor, is that could become an issue?

I may be traveling across state lines on a road trip with my mobile home later this year. I need to familiarize myself with nfa transport laws in that regard, worst case I could leave it at home.

So my options are:
Get an OSS suppressor for this rifle and in the future swap to another setup if I want
Sell it and go shorter with suppressor
Sell it and go .300 blk and suppressor
Do nothing and suppress my scorpion when the ATF brace ruling gets overturned.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 4:29:53 PM EDT
[#1]
A suppressor on a 16" is pretty long. They do sound good though. I personally think a 14.5 is the end of practical length and even that's not ideal. To go shorter than a p/w 14.5 you're going to have to register it as an SBR. I really can't decide for you if that's the way for YOU to go. With this current brace ban, the days of recommending a short barrel are kind of on hold. Decide if you want a 5.55 or .30 can and order that shit. It takes FOREVER. Build a 2nd (shorter) upper while you're waiting. No reason to sell what you have.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 4:37:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A suppressor on a 16" is pretty long. They do sound good though. I personally think a 14.5 is the end of practical length and even that's not ideal. To go shorter than a p/w 14.5 you're going to have to register it as an SBR. I really can't decide for you if that's the way for YOU to go. With this current brace ban, the days of recommending a short barrel are kind of on hold. Decide if you want a 5.55 or .30 can and order that shit. It takes FOREVER. Build a 2nd (shorter) upper while you're waiting. No reason to sell what you have.
View Quote

You can go down to 13.7 with a p/w and still get to 16 overall. As to the OP, go for it. I have a 16” upper that I shoot suppressed, I’ve got an 18” that I shoot suppressed as well. Give it a go and see if you like it or see if you can test one out beforehand.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 4:48:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

You can go down to 13.7 with a p/w and still get to 16 overall
View Quote

Very true and a solid option
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 4:49:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can go down to 13.7 with a p/w and still get to 16 overall

Link Posted: 5/18/2023 4:52:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Hey all, rifle noob here with a 16" zion-15 AR with a Sig romeo 5 on it. Love the rifle overall, but want to get a suppressor. I am wondering if it is foolish to 1. suppress a 16" rifle and 2. suppress a 5.56 rifle.

It's a range toy and a SHTF weapon. I may consider it for HD duty at some point when I get more comfortable with it but for now the glocks do that.

If it's silly to suppress a 16" AR, I would likely sell it and get something shorter. I would then also need to decide if I want to go into .300 blk or stay with 5.56. I am not really sure that it warrants getting into .300 BLK for someone like myself who shoots maybe 6 times per year. I am looking to get more into it, though.

I should add that I enjoy how little backblast and how clean the 16" shoots. It's really smooth, I do not like getting pelted in the face with gas, and this rifle does a good job of avoiding that. One concern of mine if I go shorter, even with an OSS suppressor, is that could become an issue?

I may be traveling across state lines on a road trip with my mobile home later this year. I need to familiarize myself with nfa transport laws in that regard, worst case I could leave it at home.

So my options are:
Get an OSS suppressor for this rifle and in the future swap to another setup if I want

Thoughts?
View Quote

So here's a novel idea.  Don't sell you 16".  If you want a suppressor, suppress it.  Where's the down side.  It's longer yes, but still, not uber ridiculous.  If you don't want to spend that money, then buy a shorter .300BLK and suppress that.  Keep your 5.56 for the range/training.  It's cheaper to shoot than .300BLK, but the mechanics are identical so training on the 5.56 gives you confidence on the .300BLK.  Load your .300 with high quality self defense ammo and you don't need to shoot it as often.  Saves money in ammo over the long run.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 5:30:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

You can go down to 13.7 with a p/w and still get to 16 overall. As to the OP, go for it. I have a 16” upper that I shoot suppressed, I’ve got an 18” that I shoot suppressed as well. Give it a go and see if you like it or see if you can test one out beforehand.
View Quote

I’m going with a 13.9 route P+W to 16. The front has a 13” free float rail. The rear has a rifle length RE and A1 stock. It’s still a legal length rifle but it balances much better with a can vs a typical 16. It may not seem like a big difference compared to a 16, but it really does help the balance of the rifle when attaching a weight at the worst possible spot.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 6:41:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 7:35:11 PM EDT
[#8]
13.7/9 pin weld to 16 for nfa purposes
get going on the can first and foremost and keep muzzle device lengths in mind when picking the can you want...
then find a 13.7/9 upper have it pin welded with the proper muzzle device that will bring it out of NFA territory and work on your suppressor.
look at SOLGW for a complete upper setup, probably already pin and welded too
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 7:54:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Who cares what the length is, if you want to run suppressed do it. Don't wait.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 8:10:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Who cares what the length is, if you want to run suppressed do it. Don't wait.
View Quote

Yes sir, ordering now.

Which OSS suppressor would you go with, there's 4 options for my rifle.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 8:32:34 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd go with the OSS HX-QD 762 so I could use it on multiple calibers, or the Huxwrx Flow 556K if you want only 5.56 specifically

Silener shop is offering a free tax stamp with purchase on the 30 cal cans right now
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 11:45:23 PM EDT
[#12]
I just started shooting my 16" LMT defender with my Saker 5.56. It's actually not too bad. I have thought about getting a K can to cut the length down in the future but it won't stop me from using it with a can for now.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 10:02:25 AM EDT
[#13]
I have a Turbo K on one of my 16" rifles. I like it. Yes, a bit long, but suppresses well. The Gibbz side charging upper is a huge plus. I get zero gas to the face.

Link Posted: 5/19/2023 11:13:02 AM EDT
[#14]
If you want to suppress it go for it. Suppressed guns are more fun to shoot. For a long barrel you might want to consider the weight of the can… YHM T2’s are a pretty good deal now. They are about $350 on Gunbroker.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 3:17:24 PM EDT
[#15]
I already have two uppers that are host ready for my can once it gets released from jail. Only another 12 more months before pardon is granted.

16 and 18 are already to be used.

Waiting for a new mount to be installed on by 12.5.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 5:51:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If you want to suppress it go for it. Suppressed guns are more fun to shoot. For a long barrel you might want to consider the weight of the can… YHM T2’s are a pretty good deal now. They are about $350 on Gunbroker.
View Quote

Got mine for $320.

Oops. You said T2. Mines a Turbo K.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 6:18:48 PM EDT
[#17]
16" with a can is long and putting the weight on the worst part of a rifle.  

That said, cans are getting shorter, lighter, and with decent performance to boot.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 9:53:42 PM EDT
[#18]
If you really want to experience the benefits of a suppressor, you.lol want to pair it with subsonic rounds.  While my single suppressor does reduce the noise of my 5.56 rifles, it’s truly impressive on my 300 blackout with subs.  If you are willing to pay the $200 tax on the suppressor, kick another $200 in and sbr a lower, or amnesty register a pistol lower while you still can.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 9:54:35 PM EDT
[#19]
If you really want to experience the benefits of a suppressor,  you want to pair it with subsonic rounds.  While my single suppressor does reduce the noise of my 5.56 rifles, it’s truly impressive

• Item 1

• Item 2

on my 300 blackout with subs.  If you are willing to pay the $200 tax on the suppressor, kick another $200 in and sbr a lower, or amnesty register a pistol lower while you still can.

• Item 1

• Item 2

Link Posted: 5/20/2023 8:10:21 AM EDT
[#20]
You could go old school.  On my 16" Recon I use a OPS 12th which is big, heavy but short as it is a 2-point that extends over the barrel a ways.
Just a suggestion, but the performance is fantastic.

The OPS is discontinued, but replicas are available for the "cloner crowd" and like.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 10:50:41 AM EDT
[#21]
I run my Zion-15 suppressed with a Huxwrx/OSS can. It is pretty long, but I have 7 different hosts ranging from 10.3"-18". Great thing about the Huxwrx can is there's almost no gas blowback with any length barrel, or even with a Tavor SAR.

Nothing wrong with suppressing it, but shorter is more ideal. Second pic is my 13.9" with extended Huxwrx flash hider suppressor mount.

A 10.3" with suppressor makes it about as long as an unsuppressed 16", but of course you'd have to SBR it.

Link Posted: 5/20/2023 10:55:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Foolish to suppress 5.56? I don’t think so, just know going in that it won’t be super quiet.

Your OAL with a 16” barrel will be a tad long but not unmanageable. I built an AFSOC close with a 14.5” p/w that I suppress sometimes and I enjoy shooting it quite a bit.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 7:05:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

So my options are:

Thoughts?
View Quote

@bm303

Get a turbo t2 and enjoy

My 16" Remington upper for scale

Attachment Attached File

Fun to shoot

Dont notice much of any gas to the face

Gonna switch to either the Srx mounting system or xeno system

Link Posted: 5/20/2023 7:47:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

@bm303

Get a turbo t2 and enjoy

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/77256/20230416_203057_jpg-2823370.JPG

Fun to shoot
That's a lousy comparison. The buttstock is fully collapsed. A 16" with a can isn't hard to manage, but it's not ideal. It sounds better than an SBR, but not enough to justify the length. Everything is a compromise. A suppressed 16" is better than an unsuppressed one, but a suppressed SBR is even better

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/20/2023 7:47:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

@bm303

Get a turbo t2 and enjoy

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/77256/20230416_203057_jpg-2823370.JPG

Fun to shoot
That's a lousy comparison. The buttstock is fully collapsed. A 16" with a can isn't hard to manage, but it's not ideal. It sounds better than an SBR, but not enough to justify the length. Everything is a compromise. A suppressed 16" is better than an unsuppressed one, but a suppressed SBR is even better

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/20/2023 9:21:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Suppress all the things

16” club

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 10:46:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Buddy uses his Vers30 can on his 22" AR varmint build.  Not an issue from a bench, but it does get a bit long.  Full power 223 sounds like high velocity 22lr, maybe a bit louder but not 22wmr loud, all from the sonic crack.

I've put his can on my 16" 762x39 build, little front heavy but not overly long.

I say go for it.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 3:31:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Turbo T3 on a 16" is fun
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 6:02:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Ordered a huxwrx 556k.

If I don't like it on the 16 I can always get a shorter upper, and this can is pretty tiny.

Now I need to sell off a g26 and the scorpion and I can get pretty close to breakeven on this thing.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 5:45:14 AM EDT
[#30]
Order a 22 can also.  I never shot 22s before suppressors, now it’s 87%+ of what I shoot
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 5:59:52 AM EDT
[#31]
I like mine...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 10:26:08 AM EDT
[#32]
I tried suppressing both 10.3 and 11.5" 5.56mm AR's using both a SiCo Omega 300 and YHM Turbo K and was left very unimpressed with all of it. Not even close to hearing safe much less quiet and adding a 5-6"+ can on the end of a short barrel defeats the whole point of SBR'ing them IMO. I know some will say they SBR their AR so they could add a can without making the whole thing too long. That's fine a I guess but IMO you get very little in return for that investment.

I changed things up and went 300BLK for the SBR (Started with a 9" barrel and now have a 7") w/Omega 300 and 16" 5.56 middy for the Turbo K and I'm much happy with those combos. I feel like the 300BLK is a much better SBR/CQB/SD setup and the TK on a 16" barrel actually sounds decent and is not near as gassy. I might try going a little shorter on the 5.56 barrel (13.7 or 14.5) but nothing shorter.

That said, if I could get a "do over" I doubt I'd even bother with a 5.56 suppressor. I know many here will disagree but that is my experience/opinion on the subject.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 12:08:07 PM EDT
[#33]
I have my Omega 9K on my 16" .300 BLK. Its not too bad, about like handling a 20" AR.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 12:25:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Ordered a huxwrx 556k.

If I don't like it on the 16 I can always get a shorter upper, and this can is pretty tiny.

Now I need to sell off a g26 and the scorpion and I can get pretty close to breakeven on this thing.
View Quote

Nice, I think you made the right choice (or "a" right choice). There were some really bizarre recommendations in this thread.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 12:42:28 PM EDT
[#35]
It is absolutely worth it to suppress a 16" AR.  Good centerfire cans no longer have to be 17+ oz without mount.  Weight makes a huge difference, especially at the end of a barrel.  My ~9 oz taper-mounted Explorr 224 is spectacular on every barrel length I've tried it on and it disappears at the end of a gun.  It is super handy on my SBRs, but 16s are quieter.  The days of my running a 25 oz SDN-6 (can plus mount) made suppressing 16" barrels extremely unwieldy.  Times have changed.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 12:54:27 PM EDT
[#36]
On a 16" I'd get a K can.
My first can was a Specwar 762, huge and heavy, sucked on a 16" unless bench shooting.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 1:53:56 PM EDT
[#37]
I just bought a Rugged Radiant to use on everything from a 7.5” 5.56 to 16” 5.56 and .308 to a 20” .308 bolt gun.

I went with the Radiant because it’s reasonably quiet enough to use on the 7.5-11.5” guns in full length configuration and light enough to use on the longer guns in K mode. By my measurements, it will only be about 3” longer than the muzzle devices that are on them currently.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 8:02:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Short can on a 16" is the same or quieter than a full size can on a 10.5" SBR.

Compare the length of the two and they are not that far apart.  16" setup might even weigh less and of course have better velocity.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 8:11:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Suppressed 16 with Serra5 is my favorite setup.
I also suppress my 20” ARs. Suppress all the things
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 9:08:44 AM EDT
[#40]
K can would be a good choice
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 10:53:11 AM EDT
[#41]
I have a 13.9” P/W and run an Ecco Plan A converted Mini-4 on it.  It seems like a small can while it’s heavier than my Recce 5, the 3/4” difference in length makes a difference (to my brain at least) even though it’s really negligible.  Not like my Mini4 vs Nomad LT.   The Recce 5 is far quieter but I usually have it on a different rifle.  I also need to try my Optimus Micro with a taper mount adapter config. and see how it sounds.

I’m trying to figure out what optic to get for it (replacing an Aimpoint CompM2) and I can’t make up my mind.  3x ACOG, 1-4, 1-6….decisions decisions

13.9”
10.5”
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 11:09:28 AM EDT
[#42]
That’s why I bought an Energetic Arx. We’ll see how it works. I’ll have it in my hands in probably a couple weeks. Was approved the other day and now just need Capitol Armory just has to go through their process to send it to me.

It’s not the quietest can, but it’s super light weight, and performance should be improved with the 556 FH end cap. Also, the host is a PWS 116 long stroke piston, so that should help a little.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 11:33:40 AM EDT
[#43]
I like to suppress everything so my answer is yes. I’d put a premium on a lighter, shorter can for a 16” barrel is all.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 9:36:06 AM EDT
[#44]
7 lb 5 oz (no mag with light and sling removed)

Turbo K in direct thread. Rail is 13 inches.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/28/2023 9:58:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

So here's a novel idea.  Don't sell you 16".  If you want a suppressor, suppress it.  Where's the down side.  It's longer yes, but still, not uber ridiculous.  If you don't want to spend that money, then buy a shorter .300BLK and suppress that.  Keep your 5.56 for the range/training.  It's cheaper to shoot than .300BLK, but the mechanics are identical so training on the 5.56 gives you confidence on the .300BLK.  Load your .300 with high quality self defense ammo and you don't need to shoot it as often.  Saves money in ammo over the long run.
View Quote

Solid advice. Order a .30 cal can, you will probably appreciate the at-ear when using a .223, and can swap right into a BLK (or pretty much anything else that will fit in an AR frame. IMO, a 16” with A2 or similar device, isn’t that bad when shot outdoors if you had to. No sense in getting rid of a good rifle just because your go-to has been upgraded.

Do what you will about shorter barrels, but typically with cans, the shorter the better, until you get into seriously bad terminal ballistics or reliability problems.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 10:24:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Mk12 and Mod H suppressed…especially with the gigantic AE can.
/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/tumblr_lka9rhi8aT1qadbq2o1_400_GIF-121.gif
View Quote

The AEM5 adds similar if not less length past the bare muzzle compared to even my saker ‘k’ with ASR mount.

It may be a long suppressor but the reflex design makes it my favorite for a 16” rifle.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 12:17:44 PM EDT
[#47]
My opinion is to get at least a 30 cal can as your first rifle can.  It works pretty well on 555 and lets you explor the other uses of the suppressor (300blk, 308, 6.5).  I actually try to get a 9mm bore on most of my cans because I don’t care about how quiet they are, just that they help a little bit.   Now I can put all my cans on almost all of my guns, and fun fact: and over bored suppressor is just like a flow through can!  It reduces back pressure
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 12:34:26 PM EDT
[#48]
I've had a while to try out my 16" with Turbo K. Added a BRT gas tube, and I'm quite happy overall. It's worth it.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 1:06:16 PM EDT
[#49]
The Rugged Radiant in short configuration on their 5.56 flash hider  only adds 3” to my gun compared to the YHM Phantom that was on it previously.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 1:44:14 PM EDT
[#50]
For all those with Yhm buy a kurz kit for Pete’s sake.
Really reduces the length.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top