Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2022 2:11:26 PM EDT
It was my first rifle I ever owned at the age of 16, Varmint Synetic edition.  To my knowledge, it's the basis of the M24 platform.  However, I now own a FN SCAR17, so I'm kinda wondering if I need another .308 in my gun safe.  The effective range being 600m vs 800m.  But I can buy the 20" barrel for the SCAR and up the effective range to 800m like the R700.  

Lastly, if I want to get into the long range game (800+), I'd probably buy something with a heavier bullet than 308.  To me, rifles are tools, I'm not a collector.  I fear the man who has one rifle and shoots it 100 times a year, than the man who owns 100 rifles, and only shoots each one once a year.  So unless I'm looking to engage targets 600-800m, the 700 really has no purpose, more so if I buy the 20" barrel swap, which I'd rather just buy a SCAR20 then in 6.5.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 2:13:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I think you have already made your mind up.  What value are you expecting to get out of it?
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 2:18:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Your first rifle... Has to hold some sentimental value, no?
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 2:53:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ICU:
Your first rifle... Has to hold some sentimental value, no?
View Quote

That's about it for me.  Might hold on to it and pass it onto my son.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 3:14:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Donut777donut] [#4]
I keep guns and buy more.

YMMV

Why sell it if you don’t need the money?

ETA: I’d thread it and cut it short for your silencer.

Link Posted: 10/16/2022 3:52:14 PM EDT
[#5]
There's really nothing special about them so it's really just about how you feel about it. Pretty sure there is no relation to the M24 outside of them both being Remington 700's. The VS and PSS were pretty similar and decent guns for the day. If you like the gun and it shoots well you probably couldn't sell it for enough to buy something better. If there isn't a sentimental connection you could also have it rebarreled to a better long range caliber like 6.5 Creedmoor or 6mm Creedmoor.

I have a couple bolt action 308's but have basically decided there won't be any more for me.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 5:09:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ballisticxlr] [#6]
OP, nothing in your original post is logical or based on any kind of understanding of the words "range" "effective". Perhaps not making any rash decisions while you unfuck yourself in terms of knowledge would be a good idea.

It was my first rifle I ever owned at the age of 16, Varmint Synetic edition.  To my knowledge, it's the basis of the M24 platform.  However, I now own a FN SCAR17, so I'm kinda wondering if I need another .308 in my gun safe.  The effective range being 600m vs 800m.  But I can buy the 20" barrel for the SCAR and up the effective range to 800m like the R700.  

Lastly, if I want to get into the long range game (800+), I'd probably buy something with a heavier bullet than 308. To me, rifles are tools, I'm not a collector.  I fear the man who has one rifle and shoots it 100 times a year, than the man who owns 100 rifles, and only shoots each one once a year.  So unless I'm looking to engage targets 600-800m, the 700 really has no purpose, more so if I buy the 20" barrel swap, which I'd rather just buy a SCAR20 then in 6.5.

Thoughts?
View Quote
I've politely bolded all the parts where you have no idea what the fuck you're talking about.

Link Posted: 10/17/2022 12:16:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By ballisticxlr:
OP, nothing in your original post is logical or based on any kind of understanding of the words "range" "effective". Perhaps not making any rash decisions while you unfuck yourself in terms of knowledge would be a good idea.

I've politely bolded all the parts where you have no idea what the fuck you're talking about.

View Quote

The midwest nice in me didn't want to say anything but yeah...pretty much that.
Link Posted: 10/25/2022 9:33:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Can you rebarrel a 700 into 6.5?
Link Posted: 10/25/2022 10:10:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Yup. 6.5 and 6 Creedmoor, 243, 260, 358 and more are just a barrel away. Depending on which route you end up going it still might be worth selling your gun.
Link Posted: 10/25/2022 10:54:46 PM EDT
[#10]
I’ve got the same rifle. It was also my first “big” rifle i bought myself. I cut the barrel and shoot it still. I grabbed a 300wm a while back but the bolt 308 is just a nice gun to shoot and do 1k a couple times a year. Suppressed 308 in a 18” bolt is sweet.
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 9:41:48 PM EDT
[#11]
It's nice to have a bolt gun in the stable. Sounds like it's a 700 from the era before they went downhill, and has a small amount of sentimental value. I'd keep it. .

It will have better effective range than most semi autos by nature.
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 8:25:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#12]
Originally Posted By Blu3Ridge:

Lastly, if I want to get into the long range game (800+), I'd probably buy something with a heavier bullet than 308.  To me, rifles are tools, I'm not a collector.  I fear the man who has one rifle and shoots it 100 times a year, than the man who owns 100 rifles, and only shoots each one once a year.  So unless I'm looking to engage targets 600-800m, the 700 really has no purpose, more so if I buy the 20" barrel swap, which I'd rather just buy a SCAR20 then in 6.5.

Thoughts?
View Quote

Thoughts:  Your R700 is likely far more accurate.  Remington M700 rifles from that period are usually well made and the heavy varmint barrel models tend to be very accurate.  Likely sub MOA with match ammo. That matters a lot at extended range.  

Most SCAR17 .308s I've encountered are more of a consistent 1.5-2 MOA five shot rifle even with match ammo, if the rifle has stock trigger, stock flash hider (usually terribly over torqued)m and the shooter is honest.  Its a battle rifle design.
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 4:53:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BoneB1B] [#13]
Originally Posted By ballisticxlr:

View Quote

Thanks
I don’t like to talk like that to strangers.

I believe those rifles had the aluminum bedding channel molded into the synthetic and were very rigid and stable.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 12:35:52 PM EDT
[#14]
The VS is an awesome rifle.  I got mine in 08?  A few years back, I was going to do the same thing.  But there isn't a lot of offerings for LH shooters.  It came with the HS Precision stock.  I swapped the barrel out with a 22" Douglas in .243, and added an HS precision DBM.  Added some quick disconnects and put a rail on the bottom for better bipod options.  It's a tac driver.  95gr TMK's in lapua brass.  I shoot steel out to 800, and it's blast to shoot.  I get a lot of questions about it, because, well, it's just old and I'm shooting with guys mostly in 6.5.  Shoots flat, 44.6 grains of H4831SC.  

Make it a project gun with your son, he'll never forget that.  I gave my son my Grandfathers Fox Sterlingworth side by side, which he cherishes.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 8:28:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Bigohio:
The VS is an awesome rifle.  I got mine in 08?  A few years back, I was going to do the same thing.  But there isn't a lot of offerings for LH shooters.  It came with the HS Precision stock.  I swapped the barrel out with a 22" Douglas in .243, and added an HS precision DBM.  Added some quick disconnects and put a rail on the bottom for better bipod options.  It's a tac driver.  95gr TMK's in lapua brass.  I shoot steel out to 800, and it's blast to shoot.  I get a lot of questions about it, because, well, it's just old and I'm shooting with guys mostly in 6.5.  Shoots flat, 44.6 grains of H4831SC.  

Make it a project gun with your son, he'll never forget that.  I gave my son my Grandfathers Fox Sterlingworth side by side, which he cherishes.
View Quote
Man, your post is the only reason I'm replying here, I have a super similar experience.  I have a Remington 700 XHR from a similar era and ended up doing similar things with it.  The XHR was like the triangle barreled varmint guns, but in big game calibers.  Mine is in -06, and I hated the original stock, but I already had a Sendero in 300wm, so I really liked the HSP stock feel.  I bolted on the HSP Sporter stock, HSP DBM, Timney Elite, and sent it off to SAC for Badger bolt knob.  It was, and still is an absolute tack driver, and I then killed my first big game animal with it, so its a pretty important gun to be personally.  Eventually, I had the barrel cut to 20", and threaded it for a can.  I have other guns that I prefer to hunt with, but the -06 often goes as a backup rifle since its so reliable and accurate.  The HSP stuff is old school, and HSP has made some missteps, but their system works well and the 700s really respond to the parts.  I thought about rebarreling this 700 in 338-06 but I did that to a Tikka, I just couldn't bring myself to mess with a good thing.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 9:36:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Blu3Ridge:
Can you rebarrel a 700 into 6.5?
View Quote

Yes, 6.5-08

260 Remington but with a long throat and 8 twist for VLD's.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top