Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/13/2018 5:27:56 PM EDT
Am I loosing anything? Form submitted and looking at designs, but until I PCS to Alaska, this will be a "one can does most" for me. My goal is a can that is sized/built for 5.56, but bored out to be able to shoot 9mm and 300bo through it as well. Will the suppressor be that much less effective for 5.56 with the ID so big?
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 5:47:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Will the suppressor be that much less effective for 5.56 with the ID so big?
View Quote
Are you building an M110 self propelled howitzer suppressor?  9.525" is an awfully big hole........

Smart remarks aside, most of us on this board and any US-based forum are going to be using decimal inch for suppressor dimensions, so if you're using metric, you'll get less confusion by denoting the unit.

Now, for a can that will pass 9mm caliber bullets, a .375 bore is too tight.  It's good for .30 cal rifle, if not a little large, but you don't want to go under .040" diametral clearance.  Even if it's aligned well enough to not have baffle strikes (in theory), too tight a through bore will disrupt bullet flight.  A 9mm cal can should have apertures in the .400"-.420" range.

How well it will work with 5.56mm or .30 cal rifle depends more on the other dimensions, baffle profile, baffle spacing and blast chamber than the aperture size.  There's no reason a ~.4" aperture can won't suppress 5.56, .308 and other small bore supersonic rounds decently, but if the can is optimized for low pressure pistol rounds, it's not gonna work especially well with rifles.  Conversely, optimized for rifle rounds, it will have more FRP and probably higher dB in general on pistols.   SilencerCo tried to do the Jack of all trades thing with the Hybrid, and they're not the first.  None have worked out well in general, ending up with undesirable attributes in pretty much every role, suffering in size/weight, suppression, durability, accuracy or a combination of those.  You can try to strike a balance, but there are always trade offs, and the more roles you try to press it into, the less likely it is to excel in any of them.  Just like you can't make a motor vehicle that will haul lumber, tackle 5+ off road trails, dominate super street class drags and hang with sports cars on curvy mountain roads, you can't build a suppressor that will do well on everything from rimfire guns to precision rifle to pistols to SBR  autoloaders to big bore hunting rifles.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 10:37:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Are you building an M110 self propelled howitzer suppressor?  9.525" is an awfully big hole........

Smart remarks aside, most of us on this board and any US-based forum are going to be using decimal inch for suppressor dimensions, so if you're using metric, you'll get less confusion by denoting the unit.

Now, for a can that will pass 9mm caliber bullets, a .375 bore is too tight.  It's good for .30 cal rifle, if not a little large, but you don't want to go under .040" diametral clearance.  Even if it's aligned well enough to not have baffle strikes (in theory), too tight a through bore will disrupt bullet flight.  A 9mm cal can should have apertures in the .400"-.420" range.

How well it will work with 5.56mm or .30 cal rifle depends more on the other dimensions, baffle profile, baffle spacing and blast chamber than the aperture size.  There's no reason a ~.4" aperture can won't suppress 5.56, .308 and other small bore supersonic rounds decently, but if the can is optimized for low pressure pistol rounds, it's not gonna work especially well with rifles.  Conversely, optimized for rifle rounds, it will have more FRP and probably higher dB in general on pistols.   SilencerCo tried to do the Jack of all trades thing with the Hybrid, and they're not the first.  None have worked out well in general, ending up with undesirable attributes in pretty much every role, suffering in size/weight, suppression, durability, accuracy or a combination of those.  You can try to strike a balance, but there are always trade offs, and the more roles you try to press it into, the less likely it is to excel in any of them.  Just like you can't make a motor vehicle that will haul lumber, tackle 5+ off road trails, dominate super street class drags and hang with sports cars on curvy mountain roads, you can't build a suppressor that will do well on everything from rimfire guns to precision rifle to pistols to SBR  autoloaders to big bore hunting rifles.
View Quote
Well if I used 5.56, one would think MM instead of inches. I only converted to keep the same unit of measure to aboid confusing you people.

This can is going to be built as a rifle can, for rifle pressures, but overbored for the occasional pistol/PCC.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 10:57:58 PM EDT
[#3]
662 is trying to tell you that you're better off (meaning, you'll be more pleased) with a purpose built rifle can, than trying to make a "jack of all trades".

The rifle suppression won't be as good as it can be and the pistol reduction will be lacking due to the rifle design.

There are enough silencer threads covering the "what cans do I need" query.
1. Rimfire
2. 45cal pistol
3. 30cal rifle

Owning these 3 will give most any shooter a decent and basic silencer option.

Make your can for 30cal rifle and file another form for pistol use. If it's as occasional as you say, your not in any rush to have/need it.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 11:04:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
662 is trying to tell you that you're better off (meaning, you'll be more pleased) with a purpose built rifle can, than trying to make a "jack of all trades".

The rifle suppression won't be as good as it can be and the pistol reduction will be lacking due to the rifle design.

There are enough silencer threads covering the "what cans do I need" query.
1. Rimfire
2. 45cal pistol
3. 30cal rifle

Owning these 3 will give most any shooter a decent and basic silencer option.

Make your can for 30cal rifle and file another form for pistol use. If it's as occasional as you say, your not in any rush to have/need it.
View Quote
Thats the explanation I needed then, rifle can it is.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 10:33:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
I was gonna say essentially the same thing but seeing as you've already said it all, I don't need to.  
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 10:59:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I did similar

30 cal rifle and 9mm pistol.

but with form 1's coming in as quick as they do now i'm tempted to buy more stamps.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 6:27:51 AM EDT
[#7]
I built a 9mm suppressor for my PCC. It wasn’t designed for ultimate quiet; it was designed to give some suppression while adding minimal length, and to give enough length to keep people from shooting their finger off (Dias host). It’s very basic, it’s designed to reflex on the 9mm but muzzle mount on other rifle mounts. There is one washer that fits around the end of the brake to force gas from the ports back, a single baffle, and the front cap. It does as expected on the 9mm, it tones it down noticeably but isn’t nearly as quiet as a full size can- what can you expect from a can that adds 2” past the brake. The surprise was that it does very well on my .224 Valkyrie. It’s not as good as my commercial cans, but it’s very close, especially considering 2/3 of the can is the blast chamber when muzzle mounted.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 4:22:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I’ll chime in, I have a 1.625x7” 35cal do all can(.413 aperture). I much prefer it over my other cans on AR’s as it reduces the back pressure and takes the bite off. Your still gonna need ears as port pop is still gonna be loud(same on all AR’s). It also keeps my Tavor from spewing gas in your face. It does a great job on manual actions and is hearing quiet with bolt guns and still works on big calibers like 358winchester. It isn’t the best for Subsonics but acceptable and hearing safe.
Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top