Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/8/2022 2:00:29 PM EDT
We all know 22 LR is dirty because of the lead bullets and will foul a welded suppressor.
Does the same go for 22 Mag?  Can you shoot jacketed 22 Mag bullets through a 5.56 suppressor occasionally without concerns of buildup?
I remember pulling apart 22 Mag rounds and they are full metal jacket with a copper covered base.
Or is the powder and rimfire primer material that is dirty?

Link Posted: 6/8/2022 2:09:33 PM EDT
[#1]
The powder on rimfire is really dirty, so you'll get a bunch of that and no lead.  I'd be fine with it as long as your not putting a shitload of rounds through it.
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 3:25:14 PM EDT
[#2]
For a quick hunting trip?
Sure, I’d lend a direct thread to a (uncultured) shooting buddy who doesn’t have a rimfire suppressor.
It’s not like a 10/22 or 15/22 where you’re blasting a full bulk pack in a weekend.
It would probably balance like shit.
Ymmv
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 3:34:49 PM EDT
[#3]
My .22 mag makes a mess of my rimfire cans. It’s not the lead it’s the powder. In fact my can got so powdered up it caught fire and turned into a snake.
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 3:59:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My .22 mag makes a mess of my rimfire cans. It’s not the lead it’s the powder. In fact my can got so powdered up it caught fire and turned into a snake.
View Quote

That sounds awesome.  How many of us are going to try to do this on purpose now?
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 5:50:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Now I'm wondering if you fowl up a centerfire can with 22 crud will a mag dump of 556 rattle all the crap out of it?
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 8:05:14 PM EDT
[#6]
As previously mentioned, the powder from a .22 Magnum does not burn very clean and will leave unburned grains in your barrel and suppressor.   Just fire a few rounds and look down the barrel if you don't believe me.    This unburned powder will also accumulate in the suppressor.    

That said, I would not worry about running .22 Magnum through a sealed centerfire suppressor.   Running some 5.56 through the can will blast/ burn out the unburned residue.    Another method is to use an air compressor to blast out the residue.   I have used both methods with success and have verified they work with a Lane Scorpion 5.56 suppressor which is serviceable can.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top