Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/27/2017 12:12:47 AM EDT
I just got a shockwave, and am wondering what I might do to it, if anything at all.

So my question is, what mods have you done to yours, what add-ons did you stick on it, were you happy with it/them, do you wish you hadn't spent the money, is it the best thing ever?

Also, what are you using to transport it in?  Violin case?  Tennis racket bag?  In-line six pack cooler?
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 12:25:14 AM EDT
[#1]
I am especially interested in a good light for it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 12:39:12 AM EDT
[#2]
What I have added so far -
Marble Arms - Tritium Shotgun Sight
Mesa Tactical Side Saddle
Brownells Enhanced Safety

Still deciding if I want a Surefire fore end or not
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 2:02:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What I have added so far -
Marble Arms - Tritium Shotgun Sight
Mesa Tactical Side Saddle
Brownells Enhanced Safety

Still deciding if I want a Surefire fore end or not
View Quote
Id really like a light to make it a nicer weapon for when I drive at night, but I want to still have it nice and compact
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 4:48:51 AM EDT
[#4]
I asked the same question in GD and got a ton of great responses.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Mossberg-Shockwave-accessories/5-2009337/
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 7:51:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I asked the same question in GD and got a ton of great responses.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Mossberg-Shockwave-accessories/5-2009337/
View Quote
This, lots of good info in that thread.

I've had my Mossberg Shockwave for less than a week, but already I want to change the forend (hard corncob w/strap is fully functional, but somewhat uncomfortable when shooting long strings). I'm going to try both the Hogue 'Tamer' overmolded (also ordered the extension tube to make it work on the shorter Shockwave) and the new GG&G modded Magpul forend w/a vfg (Hogue is softer/more comfortable than the factory corncob but the vfg is easier on my wrist, so I'll try 'em both before deciding which to keep).

I've ordered the XS big dot tritium front sight that fits over the factory bead and already installed an NC Star 6-shot side saddle for now (works well, will probably keep it I spot something that has a significant advantage).

For a sling, a Magpul MS3 is on the way so I can experiment w/both single-point & double-point setups (probably single-point for stability while firing based upon what I've read so far), still not certain how I want to attach it (end of the Raptor grip? side of the receiver?).

Haven't decided if I want a light yet or not (trying to keep this light & KISS). Using the Hogue 'Tamer' forend would make mounting a light problematic. W/the Magpul, I can use M-Lok rails and such for a light if needbe.

For fun I've ordered a Voodoo Tactical 'breacher' case. I'll need to make a hole for the Shockwave's relatively longer bbl to pass through for the Shockwave to fit the case properly.

Still very much a work in progress, I have a feeling this is going to end up being very different from what came from the factory!

Tomac
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 6:32:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Mossberg - 590A1 Aluminum Trigger Group

GG&G - Stainless Follower

Vang Comp - Enhanced/Enlarged Aluminum Safety

SKD Tactical - ESSTAC 7rd Shotgun Cards w/Reloads

Marbles - Tritium Big Dot Front Sight

In Progress - Modify/Cut Down Wood Forend & Buttstock to MATCH Original Furniture.

I also have a nice Scabbard that the 590 Shockwave fits in perfectly, and on the outside mounts 2 M-16 30rd Mag Pouches with the dividers removed
so 2 of the extra ESSTAC Cards fit in each.  Plus I also attached a Machete.

I do the Top 4 Mods to all my Mossberg's, unless they are already 590A1's (then I skip #1)
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 8:11:21 AM EDT
[#7]
I picked one of these up last month - here is what I've added so far...

ProMag PM262 Enhanced Slide Safety
OPSol Mini-Clip  (still need to find ammo to test it)
XS Sight Systems SG-2003-3 Big Dot Trituim Express Front Sight
CDS Tactical Shockwave Raptor Shotgun Grip Wrap
VooDoo Tactical - Breacher Shotgun Scabbard
SKD Tactical - Esstac Shotgun Card - 7 Round

I am looking into changing the forend to one that will allow a light mount - but will hold off on that for now.

I like the VooDoo Tact. Scabbard, but will warn you that the sliding pad on the shoulder strap moves too freely, and if you grab it by that, it can flip over and let the gun fall out.

Have fun,
Bob S.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 10:54:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 11:39:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Phase 1 of my Shockwave started yesterday by looking closely at a Shockwave at my dealers shop. $349+ tax seems fair. I followed this by calling OF Mossberg and ordering a 14" barrel with ghost ring front sight and a GRS rear sight. I'll put money down on the Shockwave today, to be followed by Form 1, and months from now, a side folder.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 12:52:12 PM EDT
[#10]
If I may ask, what does Mossberg charge for the 14" barrel w/ghost ring sights?
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 1:14:46 PM EDT
[#11]
$120 for the 14" heavy barrel with GRS blade, $34 for the rear GRS plus shipping- $177 total.

The other route I considered is buying a 14" compact SBS with speedfeed for $300 off GB, but the many month wait makes that unpalatable. This way I can play with the thing while the paperwork clears
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 7:41:46 PM EDT
[#12]
The CMR-206 green laser was the best thing I put on, and stippling the grip makes it a lot easier to hang on to. To me the big drawback with the Shockwave was projecting out in front of your face to aim it.  It's awkward, and not fast to shoot. The green laser lets me put slugs on target at 25 yards from the hip. 
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 9:07:48 PM EDT
[#13]
This is getting close to final: G&G modded Magpul forend, GG&G side saddle w/QD mount, haven't decided yet if I want to attach a light on the Magpul forend and use an MS3 as a single-point sling or forgo the light and attach a paraclip loop on the forend and run the MS3 as a two point sling.

Tomac

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 11:39:44 PM EDT
[#14]
So far I am happy with where this is at. A lot of the items I already had such as the light, sling, sling mounts...

XS Big Dot front night sight, CDM Gear MTRS mount, Gear Sector offset light mount (pic shown just has standard 1" ring for light. GS mount made the light sit higher and even with the bbl), SF 6P w/Malkoff LED, SOE Gear shotgun card, Uncle Mikes military sling swivels, standard military sling, Aimpro bbl shroud, S&J follower, stippled grip and forearm, elastic pouch for two extra CR123 batteries.

Added a Vang Comp oversized safety.

A view with the Gearsector mount added.

Shot of how the light does what I need. Trees are approx 30 yds out.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 11:41:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Sbs
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 8:19:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Sbs
View Quote
None of these are...  
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 11:48:54 AM EDT
[#17]
I swear guys, putting that laser on was best thing I did with mine. A gun like this one is so much easier to get fast accurate hits with if you don't have to have it up and out from your face to aim it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 11:54:38 AM EDT
[#18]
It's a 5mw laser and is bright as Hell. It's not much help in broad daylight, but if it's overcast, in the woods, night, indoors the laser stands out very well. Sighting it in was easy as Hell because all I had to do was hold the gun upright and turn the allen wrench until it lined up with the barrel then turned it on it's side and turned the wrench until it converged with the barrel at a spot about 40 feet away. Done.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 9:19:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It's a 5mw laser and is bright as Hell. It's not much help in broad daylight, but if it's overcast, in the woods, night, indoors the laser stands out very well. Sighting it in was easy as Hell because all I had to do was hold the gun upright and turn the allen wrench until it lined up with the barrel then turned it on it's side and turned the wrench until it converged with the barrel at a spot about 40 feet away. Done.
View Quote
What brand and model ?
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 9:20:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
So far I am happy with where this is at. A lot of the items I already had such as the light, sling, sling mounts...

XS Big Dot front night sight, CDM Gear MTRS mount, Gear Sector offset light mount (pic shown just has standard 1" ring for light. GS mount made the light sit higher and even with the bbl), SF 6P w/Malkoff LED, SOE Gear shotgun card, Uncle Mikes military sling swivels, standard military sling, Aimpro bbl shroud, S&J follower, stippled grip and forearm, elastic pouch for two extra CR123 batteries.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/157027996@N05/119kr9

http://i922.photobucket.com/albums/ad67/ranger721/20170906_114111.jpg
View Quote
That's exactly the direction I want to take mine...if I ever find one.  

Tell me about the heat shield please.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 12:47:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Mainsail,
I purchased the heat shield off of ebay a couple of years ago. The Aimpro is a perfect fit in length with the XS big dot front sight. I only had to modify the front set of tabs that the cross bolt goes through that secures the front of the shield around the front of the bbl. The front tabs had to be ground down slightly to be able to thread the mag tube cap back on.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 10:37:59 AM EDT
[#22]
I think i will be getting that Magpul forend from GGG. I want a light on it since it is my bump in the night weapon.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 1:08:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
What brand and model ?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What brand and model ?
Crimson Trace CMR-206, about $120.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 9:11:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Here's what I'm hoping is my final version:
XS Big Dot tritium front sight
GG&G modded Magpul forend w/Magpul paraclip mount
GG&G side saddle w/QD mount
MFT Torch (20 lumens) on a Magpul M-Lok 3-slot rail
Magpul MS1 sling w/paraclip & QDM  QD sling swivel
Mag Grips forend panels

I'll do a final range test this weekend to confirm this setup works as well as I hope.
The MFT Torch works better than I anticipated; easy to access/activate, low profile/lightweight, 20 lumens should be sufficient for target ID inside the house (I'll try to get in a night shoot in the near future).

Tomac

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 3:35:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Crimson Trace CMR-206, about $120.
View Quote
How many and what type of rounds have you run through the gun with the laser on?

I guess I'm asking how durable under recoil is it?
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 6:22:19 AM EDT
[#26]
So far I have at least 300 light trap loads through. Maybe a dozen 00 and at least a dozen slugs,and so far it has held up great. It's a completd blast to shoot with too. The first time I tried it out I used it to cut down a bunch of tall weeds at my parents house. Put the dot on the bottom of the stalk and pow! The last time I had it out I was just walking around blasting softball sized dirt clods left behind by a bulldozer. 
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 6:31:28 AM EDT
[#27]
I also put slugs on this 3/16 stainless steel at 25 yards from the hip the last time I had it out. I was trying to cut it in half and eventually did but I didn't take more pictures for some reason. 
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 6:55:46 AM EDT
[#28]
I think the best two accessories for the Shockwave are a stamp and a stock.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 11:09:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
Ya, if you dont already have one with a stock.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 8:12:01 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
Sure, what's $200, a 9mo+ wait and eternal govt scrutiny?
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 8:32:13 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
Some of us don't want to pay a fee just to own a gun.
Also if I wanted a stock I would buy it that way.
I really don't understand the problem that tax stamp holders have with this sort of gun.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 1:41:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Here's what I'm hoping is my final version:
XS Big Dot tritium front sight
GG&G modded Magpul forend w/Magpul paraclip mount
GG&G side saddle w/QD mount
MFT Torch (20 lumens) on a Magpul M-Lok 3-slot rail
Magpul MS1 sling w/paraclip & QDM  QD sling swivel
Mag Grips forend panels

I'll do a final range test this weekend to confirm this setup works as well as I hope.
The MFT Torch works better than I anticipated; easy to access/activate, low profile/lightweight, 20 lumens should be sufficient for target ID inside the house (I'll try to get in a night shoot in the near future).

Tomac

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/1593/PA100004-330399.JPG
View Quote
Update: Just got back from the range, love this setup except recoil forces the light/rail onto the tip of my thumb (), so switched the light/rail to the other side of the handguard and now it's good.

Tomac
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 12:31:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I purchased the heat shield off of ebay a couple of years ago. The Aimpro is a perfect fit in length with the XS big dot front sight. I only had to modify the front set of tabs that the cross bolt goes through that secures the front of the shield around the front of the bbl. The front tabs had to be ground down slightly to be able to thread the mag tube cap back on.
View Quote
It looks like my Shockwave is inbound to my dealer; should be in early next week.

OK, which Aimpro heatshield is that?  They list one for the 18½" barrel, but nothing shorter (PN 100185).  Is that discontinued?  Do you have the part number for it?
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 1:58:19 PM EDT
[#34]
The first thing I did was replace the strap. The Mossberg embossed strap was thin and floppy. I had a foliage colored rifle sling that was thicker cordura nylon. I removed the original strap and cut the sling to size, marked the screw hole positions, used a hot nail to melt holes and screwed the new strap in place after searing the ends. For a final touch, I used a torch type fireplace lighter to heat the seared ends while mounted and confirmed them to the curve of the foreend. The new strap stays D shaped and your hand slides right in, the curved ends aren't sharp at all.

I was debating on getting a magpul but this did the trick. I don't trust that my hand will stay on a magpul when shooting 1600fps slugs.

Oh yeah, bought the ghost ring barrel and rear sight from OFM, then saw a half dozen GRS barrels on gunbroker for $40. :/
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 3:22:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Mainsail,

I purchased the one for the 18" bbl. I originally purchased the heatshield for my 590A1 18.5" bbl version. Out of curiosity I put the heatshield on the shockwave and found that it was perfect in the length to fit between the XS big dot front sight and the receiver.

This is how it looked on the 590A1 w/18.5" bbl.

Link Posted: 11/7/2017 4:57:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Mainsail,

I purchased the one for the 18" bbl. I originally purchased the heatshield for my 590A1 18.5" bbl version. Out of curiosity I put the heatshield on the shockwave and found that it was perfect in the length to fit between the XS big dot front sight and the receiver.

This is how it looked on the 590A1 w/18.5" bbl.

http://i922.photobucket.com/albums/ad67/ranger721/008-1.jpg
View Quote
Thanks farmdog, that helps!

I can't see the picture (photobucket doesn't come thru the .mil firewalls) but I'll check it when I get home tonight.
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 7:40:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Farmdog, where did you get that stock set? looks awesome!! love the wood look..........
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 11:57:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Mew,
Got the wood furniture from Numerich and had a membet here  "nitro4blood" stain it for me.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 11:12:38 AM EDT
[#39]
I picked up mine yesterday- was surprised at how smooth(ish) the action is.  The safety is metal; I was expecting plastic for some reason.  The trigger guard is plastic so I need to determine if I really think that's important enough to swap out.

Seems they used a lot of grease before packaging as well.

Aimtech is coming out with a heatshield rail system combo called the Warhammer (PN ML3A1SWH)- looks interesting but bulky.  I'm still leaning towards a plain heatshield.  

This is the only picture I was able to find of it:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 12:47:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Mainsail, the Standard Mossberg Heatshield (Parkerized), will fit on the Shockwave's 14" Barrel almost perfectly.

You will have to do the following:
1) Remove the REAR Bolt Lugs, so you'll be able to Remove/Re-Install the Mag Cap.
2) Drill a hole for the factory Front Sight OR the Front Sight of YOUR Choice.  If using GRS Front Sight, I would then suggest using a Dremel Tool to cut the slot.

Use the Standard Mossberg Heatshield, NOT, their special 590A1 Heavy Barrel Heatshield, as the Standard Unit will GRAB the Barrel better, and will not Slip when fired!!!
(ask me how I know)

That WarHammer thing, just looks too ungainly, or something.  Just too much, for something that doesn't need a lot of extra weight or size.  Sorry, Just my 2cents.

Chief
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 1:13:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Mainsail, the Standard Mossberg Heatshield (Parkerized), will fit on the Shockwave's 14" Barrel almost perfectly.

You will have to do the following:
1) Remove the REAR Bolt Lugs, so you'll be able to Remove/Re-Install the Mag Cap.
2) Drill a hole for the factory Front Sight OR the Front Sight of YOUR Choice.  If using GRS Front Sight, I would then suggest using a Dremel Tool to cut the slot.

Use the Standard Mossberg Heatshield, NOT, their special 590A1 Heavy Barrel Heatshield, as the Standard Unit will GRAB the Barrel better, and will not Slip when fired!!!
(ask me how I know)

That WarHammer thing, just looks too ungainly, or something.  Just too much, for something that doesn't need a lot of extra weight or size.  Sorry, Just my 2cents.

Chief
View Quote
Thanks Chief!

I really don't understand 1) and 2) -probably because I don't have any conception of how the heatshield attaches to the gun.  It may become evident once I have the parts in hand.  How does it attach in the front?  I want to order a mount/rail that I think goes on the magazine in the small space in front of the forend.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 1:44:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
A one-time deal for a lifetime of enjoyment.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 2:28:24 PM EDT
[#43]
MainSail, I'll try to post a pic of one that's a Work-in-Progress for you later today.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 10:23:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've got a lifetime of enjoyment already w/the Shockwave w/o having to endure the additional cost/wait/govt regulations.
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 3:15:48 PM EDT
[#45]
What's a GOOD Image Hosting Site to use, so I can post a few pic's?

PhotoBucket, just doesn't do it anymore........

Chief
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 3:37:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
What's a GOOD Image Hosting Site to use, so I can post a few pic's?

PhotoBucket, just doesn't do it anymore........

Chief
View Quote
Photobucket as well as most of the other photo hosting sites won't get through the .mil firewalls.  Posting them here is free and easy.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/24/2017 8:00:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Added XS big dot
Changed to the aluminum trigger group and metal safety
Tried the magpul for end but did not like it
Currently using a choate for end with rail at 9 o clock with cheap monstrum light
Swapped front swivel to a rotating design but not sure I will keep it

Also tempted to install ghost ring sights and convert to SBS

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/24/2017 10:23:20 PM EDT
[#48]
After much experimentation, I've gone back to the factory corncob sans strap.
I've kept the XS Big Dot tritium front sight along w/the GG&G 5rd side saddle w/QD sling mount.
Added the S&J +1 mag tube extension & follower, it doesn't add an extra rd but it does make speed reloads to capacity faster/easier & I like the stronger spring.
I've also added the GG&G light mount w/a 20-lumen MFT Torch for a light & low-profile lighting solution that's less likely to snag on things.

Tomac

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 12:49:52 AM EDT
[#49]
Grip tape, CDMGear Delta wave safety, XS Big Dot sight, Esstac shot shell cards, and a Crimson Trace 206 laser. I originally had the laser on the receiver but decided I'd
like to be able to use the front sight so I installed it on the mag tube using a CDMGear light mount.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 8:53:56 PM EDT
[#50]
I'm looking for a local 20 gauge SW. All I'll add is a way to mount a TLR3
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top