Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/13/2021 11:41:11 PM EDT
Going to be going cross country for a week of range time with family and friends.  Because of the ammo crunch, I'm planning on shipping myself 1K each of rifle and pistol ammo I've loaded.  UPS ground is most likely going to be the transport source and their requirements are:
"Ammunition must be packed in inside boxes, partitioned within a snugly fitting outside box or in metal clips. Cartridges must be properly cushioned and protected from accidental initiation. The inside boxes, partitions or metal clips must be packaged in securely closed outside packaging that will not open during transit. The package may not exceed 66 lb. (30 kg)."

Looking at either
Top brass box and insert

or

Repack boxes

Has anyone used either for shipping / storing their handloads/reloads?  Any other suggestions?
Thanks

ETA: I've had the guys at my range saving me used factory boxes, but by they wont be enough and are of such random sizes....
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 11:56:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd get the cheap boxes and then tape them VERY well.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 12:13:15 AM EDT
[#2]
if me I'd raid my club's trash cans for empty ammo boxes and trays.  Really need the trays to go along with those repack boxes.
Then pack in a sturdy cardboard box, then double box that box with another sturdy cardboard box.

If you want something reusable and durable, Dillon plastic ammo boxes are good.  For $3.15 x 10 or $31.50 you can get 10 of these
https://www.dillonprecision.com/ammunition-box-223-100-round_8_10_26670.html for example for .223

They have similar boxes for pistol rounds
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 12:15:40 AM EDT
[#3]
I use the boxes in Walmart's office supplies. 12x8x5 dimension is under $20 shipped and good for like 50/60 pounds with UPS flat rate. I use newspaper, packing paper to pack it tight. If you can still find clearance Christmas wrap it works very well
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 12:18:27 AM EDT
[#4]
USPS priority boxes. If it fits it ships.  Tape accordingly.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 12:45:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
can't ship ammo USPS
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:23:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Don't worry about the regulations printed in blue. Make the outer a double box, no empty space inside the box and tape(clear packing tape) the outside like you are making a home made soccer ball. Keep the weight as low as practical, definitely under 70lbs and better 30'ish pounds(two boxes?). Send by UPS ground and you will be fine. Also:  Write a "To and From" plus date under the tape, visible.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:26:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Don't do that. If USPS realizes what is in the box they will confiscate your ammo.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 9:11:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Don't do that. If USPS realizes what is in the box they will confiscate your ammo.
View Quote

I may have done this once years ago with success but a buddy wasn't so successful when he tried it while he was moving. Mailed himself a bunch of loaded mags. Box broke open and he got a call from from some investigator at the post office.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 9:49:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 10:27:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Pack in a box with as little dead air as possible, to keep from clanging around. As someone else said, tape like you’re making a soccer ball.

Put that box in a slightly bigger box, tape well.

Ship UPS Simple Rate

Slap a ‘limited quantity’ sticker on the box. Drop off at UPS customer service center (not ups store or access point).

That’s the cheapest, safest (because USPS sucks), and 100% ‘legal’ option.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:40:06 PM EDT
[#11]

Went down to the UPS hub yesterday to ask about this and carried my roll of blue stickers ...  I had shipped a bunch of ammo in the last few months so they know me pretty well ... they told me the blue ORM-D are still accepted  ... will be shipping next week and we shall see .
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 7:43:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Went down to the UPS hub yesterday to ask about this and carried my roll of blue stickers ...  I had shipped a bunch of ammo in the last few months so they know me pretty well ... they told me the blue ORM-D are still accepted  ... will be shipping next week and we shall see .
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

This is the sticker/label you need now.  This according to UPS is the required label with the ORM-D phase out.  I've researched that part.

My bigger concern was the internal packaging.  USPS is a no-no not just for legal reasons, but because of how badly their service sucks.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 8:38:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/64832/OIP__1__jpg-1779317.JPG

This is the sticker/label you need now.  This according to UPS is the required label with the ORM-D phase out.  I've researched that part.

My bigger concern was the internal packaging.  USPS is a no-no not just for legal reasons, but because of how badly their service sucks.
View Quote

Cali has not sent that memo to Fl. yet ... Was told yesterday my blue ORM-Ds were good to go ... thought you guys can't ship any ammo anyways .
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:52:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Cali has not sent that memo to Fl. yet ... Was told yesterday my blue ORM-Ds were good to go ... thought you guys can't ship any ammo anyways .
View Quote

Can't ship in....can send out.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:54:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top