Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2022 3:04:24 PM EDT
Probably a stupid question - but I didn't see this discussed much since UPS got shitty about shipping firearm stuff.  How are y'all shipping stuff over to ECCO or back to a manufacturer for repair?  Are FedEx/USPS the only options now if you don't have a friendly local FFL who will ship?
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 3:31:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Put it in a non-descript box and ship it from any of them 2 day overnight at least. Telling a courier what it is just makes it worse in my experience. Otherwise ask the recipient.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 5:06:07 PM EDT
[#2]
UPS: “What’s in the box.”

Me: “A tool”

UPS: “Can you provide details of the tool?”

Me: “Sure, it’s a noise attenuator”

UPS: “Gotcha, how much insurance you want on it?”
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 5:12:57 PM EDT
[#3]
If you tell ups it's a gun they make you overnight it.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 6:26:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 6:54:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Technically you can't use any of them to ship a silencer now unless you're an FFL. It's absurd.

The issue only really matters if you have to file a claim.
View Quote
When did that change?  I shipped an integral MKIV back for RMA a couple months ago but I just said it was a firearm Incase I had to make a claim.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 7:06:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
When did that change?  I shipped an integral MKIV back for RMA a couple months ago but I just said it was a firearm Incase I had to make a claim.
View Quote

June, but they only just started enforcing it this month.  It's a pain in the ass, we're working with our UPS account manager to figure our the best way to deal with it.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 10:23:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 12:02:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Machine parts.

I boxed my suppressor up and printed a label my damn self. Then dropped it off at my local Michaels craft store for pick up.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 12:09:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Somebody shared this on a local forum recently…I hadn’t seen it:

Earlier this year Fed Ex changed its policy to no longer accept firearms for shipment from Non-FFLs. All FFLs shipping had to get approved as a firearms shipper in order to continue to ship guns. Now UPS has updated its policies. It used to be you could ship UPS by going to the customer service center and present the package declare it a firearm and for pistols pay overnight shipping. Long guns could go ground. As of 8/29/22 you can no longer drop off a firearm at a customer service center.

Shipments containing Firearm Products are accepted for transportation only from shippers who are federally licensed and have an approved UPS agreement for the transportation of Firearm Products.

This is going to hurt a lot of custom shops. There is no longer a legal way to send your pistol to a gunsmith for work and still retain ownership. You could use your local FFL but they have to log it into their books and ship it. The gunsmith then logs it in to them but cannot ship it directly back to you. It would have to go back to the FFL to be transferred back into your ownership. If you are selling a pistol you can't ship it without the help of a FFL. Long guns can still be shipped via USPS.

https://www.ups.com/us/en/support/shipping-support/shipping-special-care-regulated-items/prohibited-items/firearms.page

Getting Your Firearm Products Shipment to UPS

Firearm Products may be shipped only through a UPS Scheduled Pickup Account using various UPS pickup services.
Note: Firearm Products are not accepted for shipment via UPS Drop Boxes or UPS On-Call Pickup®, and may not be tendered to, dropped off, or picked up at locations of UPS Customer Centers, The UPS Store®, any third party retailer, or any UPS Access Point™ location. Firearm Products are not eligible for Delivery Change Requests (including, but not limited to, requests to reroute) or UPS My Choice® requests.

Packages containing handguns must be separated from other packages tendered to UPS for delivery. When you are shipping a package that contains a handgun, you also must verbally notify the UPS driver.

For approved Firearm Products shippers, refer to your UPS agreement for the shipment of Firearm Products, the UPS Tariff/Terms and Conditions of Service - United States and the UPS Rate and Service Guide in effect at the time of shipping for more information regarding Firearm Products and ammunition shipments.

…and you can’t use USPS because a silencer is considered concealable.
View Quote

Does this local-FFL-takes-possession thing have any implications for NFA stuff?
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 1:03:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Machine parts.

I boxed my suppressor up and printed a label my damn self. Then dropped it off at my local Michaels craft store for pick up.
View Quote

This
I know the insurance will be void
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 1:21:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Earlier this year Fed Ex changed its policy to no longer accept firearms for shipment from Non-FFLs. All FFLs shipping had to get approved as a firearms shipper in order to continue to ship guns. Now UPS has updated its policies. It used to be you could ship UPS by going to the customer service center and present the package declare it a firearm and for pistols pay overnight shipping. Long guns could go ground. As of 8/29/22 you can no longer drop off a firearm at a customer service center.

Shipments containing Firearm Products are accepted for transportation only from shippers who are federally licensed and have an approved UPS agreement for the transportation of Firearm Products.

This is going to hurt a lot of custom shops. There is no longer a legal way to send your pistol to a gunsmith for work and still retain ownership. You could use your local FFL but they have to log it into their books and ship it. The gunsmith then logs it in to them but cannot ship it directly back to you. It would have to go back to the FFL to be transferred back into your ownership. If you are selling a pistol you can't ship it without the help of a FFL. Long guns can still be shipped via USPS.

https://www.ups.com/us/en/support/shipping-support/shipping-special-care-regulated-items/prohibited-items/firearms.page

Getting Your Firearm Products Shipment to UPS

Firearm Products may be shipped only through a UPS Scheduled Pickup Account using various UPS pickup services.
Note: Firearm Products are not accepted for shipment via UPS Drop Boxes or UPS On-Call Pickup®, and may not be tendered to, dropped off, or picked up at locations of UPS Customer Centers, The UPS Store®, any third party retailer, or any UPS Access Point™ location. Firearm Products are not eligible for Delivery Change Requests (including, but not limited to, requests to reroute) or UPS My Choice® requests.

Packages containing handguns must be separated from other packages tendered to UPS for delivery. When you are shipping a package that contains a handgun, you also must verbally notify the UPS driver.

For approved Firearm Products shippers, refer to your UPS agreement for the shipment of Firearm Products, the UPS Tariff/Terms and Conditions of Service - United States and the UPS Rate and Service Guide in effect at the time of shipping for more information regarding Firearm Products and ammunition shipments.

…and you can’t use USPS because a silencer is considered concealable.

Unless something in general FFL rules has changed…?

I not sure what he is on about there..?
Firearms in for repair do not get logged into the shop inventory acquisition log book. They go in the repair log book. Under the name of the person that dropped it off.
The FFL can return the firearm back to the person that dropped it off without a 4473.
The FFL can can facilitate shipping to a repair facility.

The more broad problem is FFL’s not knowing or understanding they can facilitate NFA repairs without being NFA dealers. Most will simply bow out of being anywhere near it and tell the customer they have to find an NFA dealer.

A return Label from the manufacturer or repair service is going to be easier for the average person.
Or..ship through an NFA dealer.

I shipped a suppressor back to Smith and Wesson with a label they sent me. Boxed it up put it in the drop box at a hub.

Link Posted: 9/25/2022 9:06:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Unless something in general FFL rules has changed…?

I not sure what he is on about there..?
Firearms in for repair do not get logged into the shop inventory acquisition log book. They go in the repair log book. Under the name of the person that dropped it off.
The FFL can return the firearm back to the person that dropped it off without a 4473.
The FFL can can facilitate shipping to a repair facility.

The more broad problem is FFL’s not knowing or understanding they can facilitate NFA repairs without being NFA dealers. Most will simply bow out of being anywhere near it and tell the customer they have to find an NFA dealer.

A return Label from the manufacturer or repair service is going to be easier for the average person.
Or..ship through an NFA dealer.

I shipped a suppressor back to Smith and Wesson with a label they sent me. Boxed it up put it in the drop box at a hub.

View Quote

This would seem like a good option if the receiving gunsmith is comfortable with it.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 9:13:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 9:31:31 AM EDT
[#14]
I used UPS when I sent mine to ECCO ~6 weeks ago. I did it all online, declared I was shipping firearms and scheduled a pick up. Didn’t have any issues. Used an old Optics Planet box and wrapped them in bubble wrap.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 4:31:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

.....There is no longer a legal way to send your pistol to a gunsmith for work and still retain ownership. You could use your local FFL but they have to log it into their books and ship it. The gunsmith then logs it in to them but cannot ship it directly back to you. It would have to go back to the FFL to be transferred back into your ownership. If you are selling a pistol you can't ship it without the help of a FFL. Long guns can still be shipped via USPS.

View Quote

This isn't exactly accurate.
If you have a firearm that needs repair, its perfectly legal under federal law to ship it using any carrier. Only the policies/tariffs of UPS and FedEx have changed, not federal law.
If you violate a USPS regulation you do violate federal law and there are criminal penalties.
If you violate a UPS or FedEx policy or tariff you don't commit a crime but risk the wrath of the carrier. They do not have to pay off on a claim for loss, damage, theft and can let your firearm sit in a damp closet in Florida for years because you didn't follow their rules.

While federal law allows you to ship a firearm to a licensee for the purposes of repair, and for the direct return of that same firearm OR a replacement firearm of the same type........"ownership" doesn't change. You can jut as easily take that firearm to any licensee, he ships it off for repair, its returned to your FFL and you pick it up from him. No 4473 or NICS required because its the return of a repaired or replacement firearm.

Your local FFL logging it into his books doesn't remove any ownership interest by the owner, its a record of the change of possession.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 4:32:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I used UPS when I sent mine to ECCO ~6 weeks ago. I did it all online, declared I was shipping firearms and scheduled a pick up. Didn’t have any issues. Used an old Optics Planet box and wrapped them in bubble wrap.
View Quote

UPS has changed their firearm shipping policy since then.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 4:38:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Technically you can’t use any of them to ship a silencer now unless you’re an FFL.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Technically you can’t use any of them to ship a silencer now unless you’re an FFL.

Only an FFL enrolled in their FFL Firearm Shipping Program, not just any FFL.
They make you create a new account, you can only ship firearms using that account and a few other rules that make me choose not to use UPS again.

It’s absurd.

The issue only really matters if you have to file a claim.

Yep
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 5:13:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Maybe PSA will start a (pro2A) shipping company after the credit card and MP5…
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 5:35:26 PM EDT
[#19]
What if I'm 100% truthful and tell them I'm shipping a muffler and it doesn't get flagged?

18 U.S.C.,   921(A)(24)

The term "Firearm Silencer" or "Firearm Muffler" means any device for silencing, muffling, or diminishing the report of a portable firearm, including any combination of parts, designed or redesigned, and intended for the use in assembling or fabricating a firearm silencer or firearm muffler, any part intended only for use in such assembly or fabrication
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/25/2022 5:41:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
What if I'm 100% truthful and tell them I'm shipping a muffler and it doesn't get flagged?

View Quote

I think you left out 50% of the term.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 5:53:24 PM EDT
[#21]
I had a gunsmith offer to send out a pre-paid label. Wouldn't that fit under the rules, since technically the shipper (or the one handling the shipper) would have the firearm approved business account?
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 6:03:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I had a gunsmith offer to send out a pre-paid label. Wouldn't that fit under the rules, since technically the shipper (or the one handling the shipper) would have the firearm approved business account?
View Quote

The party tendering the shipment is the shipper. The party receiving that shipment is the recipient.
Who pays for the label doesn't change anything.

If buried in the carriers terms of service is an allowance for a dealer with an approved firearm shipping account to send out his own labels I haven't found it. I have found terms that are very restrictive in how I am now expected to ship a firearm.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 6:51:57 PM EDT
[#23]
You can tell ups/fedex it's a computer or whatever, AFTER they pay the claim then file lost/stolen with ATF.  Fuck ups/fedex
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 7:38:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Only the policies/tariffs of UPS and FedEx have changed, not federal law.
If you violate a USPS regulation you do violate federal law and there are criminal penalties.
If you violate a UPS or FedEx policy or tariff you don't commit a crime but risk the wrath of the carrier. They do not have to pay off on a claim for loss, damage, theft and can let your firearm sit in a damp closet in Florida for years because you didn't follow their rules.
View Quote

^ Exactly.

Curious if the new policies differentiate “FFLs”. Would a C&R suffice to register with the carriers?
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 7:56:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Only an FFL enrolled in their FFL Firearm Shipping Program, not just any FFL.
They make you create a new account, you can only ship firearms using that account and a few other rules that make me choose not to use UPS again.

View Quote

And if you also ship parts & accessories for firearms, you need yet another account.   We now have 3.   One for ordinary shipping, one for firearm parts & accessories, which they want us to use even for unregulated stuff like mounts/adapters or magazines, and one for firearms.

They've definitely gone full retard, but the blame is not 100% with the carriers.   This has been part of the admin push to hurt the entire firearm industry and community.   It's also why we have a helluva time finding insurance carriers, payment processors, web site hosts, etc.   I don't know how many different insurance companies either refused to carry us or wanted absurd premiums with all kinds of crazy clauses before our broker finally found a solid, fair one.   And thank goodness for people like Laura Morgan at Payroc and good, pro-2A people with private servers who will host websites for firearm retailers and manufacturers.

Much as the usual suspects still want their AWBs and taxes, they've found more creative and furtive ways to harass the entire industry and community.   I'm sure many of you are aware of the new card processing merchant category for firearms and ammunition, too.   Wasn't the major card companies who wanted this, they even pushed back, citing both card holder rights/privacy (It was Visa that said, and I'm paraphrasing, "we don't want to be a moral authority on legal goods"), and logistical complications from another category having to be tracked, but after a couple of times getting shot down, it was forced upon us.

Though I have no evidence of it, there's no doubt in my mind that the admin and/or agencies acting at it's behest, were wholly behind the new carrier policies.  And unfortunately, for as much revenue as firearms shipments generate, Amazon, WalMart, et al have created a situation where our industry doesn't contribute the percentage of revenue it once did, so their motivation to push back is limited or non-existent.    They may come to regret largely writing us off with those major retailers going more and more to their own delivery vehicles & drivers, but for now.....
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 8:29:28 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn, guess I just beat the deadline. I should’ve bought a lottery ticket.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 8:39:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

^ Exactly.

Curious if the new policies differentiate “FFLs”. Would a C&R suffice to register with the carriers?
View Quote

"UPS accepts packages containing Firearm Products for shipment only as a contractual service and only from Shippers who are licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, or licensed collectors (as defined in Title 18, Chapter 44 of the United States Code) to authorized recipients, as outlined in the approved UPS agreement for the transportation of Firearm Products."

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top