Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2018 3:53:53 AM EDT
Are there companies that repair gear?

I have a shooting mat that the vinyl pad cover has gotten damaged. The company sent me a new cover but they don’t do any repairs, only replacements if a warranty item. This was not a warranty claim, totally not their fault and I am greatful that they sent me the cover. So I need the cover sewn on.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 4:59:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Seems to me that any shoe or saddlery repair place could do the job.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 7:23:40 AM EDT
[#2]
a Uphostery place or a Sail repair place should be able to do that , no problem
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 7:41:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Shoe, saddlery, upholstery repair, sail maker... good suggestions.

I’ll add boat canvas maker, which in my area are different than the sail makers.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 6:20:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Hell, if that was me, and you don't mind cosmetics, then a good field expedient repair would be to glue a replacement patch directly over the worn out area.  Cut a rectangle big enough to cover all the damage.  Coat both the base and the patch with a good adhesive cement.  I like McNett Seam Grip here.  Also "Barge" cement if you can find it.  Shoe Goo would work in a pinch, but not as durable long term.  Let each side "set up" as mfg recommends.  Seam grip might take as long as a half hour, Barge maybe 10 minutes.  Depends on temp, humidity, etc.  When both sides are "tacky", press together and cover with shopping bag, and scrap lumber.  Weight down with whatever is handy.  When completely cured, run a bead of cement around the edge to protect and seal patch.
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 1:07:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies. I’m going to email a few of the local marine upholstery shops and see if they are interested.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top