Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2018 4:21:46 PM EDT
Thinking about getting one of these. What's the word on the reliability of this rifle. Everyone seems to be going the way of the Berrett M107A1 these days. I want something different if it's as good, maybe better. What ever I get it wil get used a lot and I would like descent accuracy..
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 4:53:53 PM EDT
[#1]
The serbu is more accurate and the barrett runs more reliably.

The problem is if you want good accuracy you'll be likely going with a-max or turned brass projectiles, none of which will cycle reliably in semi due to OAL.

If you want precision neither are good options.
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 5:43:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I agree. 338 lapua would be a better option for accuracy no dough. I want a 50 BMG as it will also get some rental use.
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 6:26:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Serbu;
Better and upgradeable trigger
Lighter
Barrel Change Availability
Adj gas system
Solid barrel mounting
Better Accuracy because of all of the Above
Is 70/30 on reliability, but getting better.

Barrett;
100% Reliability
OK accuracy with single loaded match ammo

Both use Barrett magazines.

The Serbu's reliability issues (in my opinion), are because of it's very tight tolerances.
My Serbu(an early model) had some issues, but I worked them out.
I know of other serbu 50A owners that have never had any issues with their rifles.
I would probably still have my barrett, but the barrett wasn't able to be converted to conform to the SAFE act law that was being shoved down the throats of NY gun owners, without severe work that I would never do to a firearm I loved.
The Serbu is and was neutered, and can be un-neutered if I move to a free state.

SJC
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 6:45:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Do you think the latest Serbu's are still having reliability issues? I really like the size and weight and flexibility. I also like the 107A1 CQ.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 8:11:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Reliability aside, there's a wait for the BFG-50A (4-6 weeks) while the M82A1 is available off the shelf right now. If that matters, as you mentioned rental guns, it's good to be aware.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 8:19:00 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't hear about the reliability issues with the latest serbu semi's.
The CQ is a great rifle, but your stuck with a short + very noisy barrel, unless you have a longer barreled upper fit to your lower.
You can have another barrel of choice made for the serbu, by the barrel block, armorers tool and switch barrels.
I had a 29" lothar walther match chambered barrel made for mine. With the set trigger Match lower, Match Ammo fit to mag length, the combo is super accurate.
The Serbu is in a whole different class as far as aesthetics and function.
The serbu bolt movement is smooth and fluid. It has a buffer system in the stock too. Recoil is very tolerable.
The barrett is a workhorse. Smooth isn't there and the dual springs make a distinct noise you get used to, and it works.
It also breaks down for easier travel.

SJC
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 11:49:06 AM EDT
[#7]
I picked up my Serbu 50A about a month ago.  Was a couple month  order wait.  Haven't shot it a ton yet (2 doz rounds?) but 100% reliable so far.  I've heeded Serbu's warning NOT to shoot American Eagle due to cycling problems.  Recoil is less than a 12ga slug in a pump gun.  Not bad at all.  Running a Vortex 5-25 PST II for glass.  Only sighted in and haven't been able to shoot at distance yet.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 3:16:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for all the info guys. I really need it as this is a big investment for me. It's not like I'm rolling in dough lol. It seems they both have pro's and cons. Tough decision....
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 3:19:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I picked up my Serbu 50A about a month ago.  Was a couple month  order wait.  Haven't shot it a ton yet (2 doz rounds?) but 100% reliable so far.  I've heeded Serbu's warning NOT to shoot American Eagle due to cycling problems.  Recoil is less than a 12ga slug in a pump gun.  Not bad at all.  Running a Vortex 5-25 PST II for glass.  Only sighted in and haven't been able to shoot at distance yet.
View Quote
Thanks for adding what glass your using. That was another thing I was looking at. Thinking of adding a Bors as well... Wonder why it won't shoot AE M33C? Weird...
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 3:31:11 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a 50a..  It is in the first 120 serial numbers.

This applies only to MY reloads....It was very picky about ammo. It was very difficult to get a round in battery.  Looking back this was not the rifles fault...

Once I figured out the correct brass sizing procedure it has run like a top.  All my issues came from the shoulder of the brass not being reformed when resizing.

It never had any issues with survivalops.com ammo.  Or a the few factory rounds I shot.

Besides, Serbu is probable the only gun manufacturer you can call and the owner answers the phone.  Mark Serbu also posts on here.

I cannot say enough about the service he will provide.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 11:25:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Will the AE stuff work in m82s reliably? I have a couple boxes and some lake city stuff. Need to get my M82A1 out. Haven’t had a chance to shoot it yet.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 6:49:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Will the AE stuff work in m82s reliably? I have a couple boxes and some lake city stuff. Need to get my M82A1 out. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet.
View Quote
Friend of mine uses it in his all the time.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 9:15:17 PM EDT
[#13]
AE is my go-to ammo if I'm picking rounds up from bigbox stores.
Zero issues for the CQ.

Only the A-max has given me issues due to overall length being too long for the magazine.
Still always cycles and extracts though.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 11:50:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Is there any moa built into the rail on the Serbu?
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 2:16:57 PM EDT
[#15]
I've got S/N 15.  It has always run just fine.

Tony Rumore
Tromix
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 11:42:18 AM EDT
[#16]
I have a BFG50a and had a lot of problems with XM33 federal/AE etc early on. Learned to put a bit of wd40 on the rounds (from Serbu himself), got it broken in and not it runs great.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top