Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/6/2022 10:09:53 PM EDT

Sen. Hawley U.S. Sen. Josh Hawley (R-Mo.) sent a letter to the Acting Director of the Bureau of the Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) Gary Restaino demanding answers on the agency's new rules that would unduly burden law-abiding gun owners and retailers. Sen. Hawley asked, “What steps does ATF intend to take to ensure that any new information that may be retained by FFL dealers pursuant to Final Rule 2021R–05F is not subsequently used for the targeting of lawful gun owners by federal authorities or other politically-motivated purposes?” The recently finalized Final Rule would require gun dealers to maintain gun owner and transaction information forever, a requirement Sen. Hawley labels a “dangerously close step toward an unconstitutional national gun registry.” Proposed Rule 2021R–08 would reclassify millions of pistols and AR-15-style firearms as “short-barreled rifles,” subjecting them to the rigid controls of the National Firearms Act and making it a federal felony to possess them without going through a byzantine waiver process. Sen. Hawley sent a similar letter last year seeking answers on the Final Rule.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 10:24:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I love Senator Hawley. He seems to be fighting the good fight.

BUT this wouldn't be an issue if the Republicans had repealed all the NFA bullshit when they had the House, Senate, and Presidency from 17-19. ??
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 11:42:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

BUT this wouldn't be an issue if the Republicans had repealed all the NFA bullshit when they had the House, Senate, and Presidency from 17-19.
View Quote
The Republicans who didn't repeal obama care, didn't fund the wall, and totally blocked Trump at every move? Fortunately Paul Ryan is gone and hopefully McConnell days are numbered.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 1:43:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Political posturing. Nothing more.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 9:27:25 AM EDT
[#4]
I have never seen these letters ever amount to anything other that an opportunity for a politician to get their name in the news for a half a cycle. Our federal agencies wipe their asses with letters from politicians.

Hell, he can call Garland up to capital hill to testify before the nation on live television and he'll still sit there and smugly explain how he's gonna take our rights away and there's nothing that can be done to stop it.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 6:27:05 PM EDT
[#5]
When I had an NFA item get stuck in the process, his office got it straightened out in a few days and were glad to help.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 1:52:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
When I had an NFA item get stuck in the process, his office got it straightened out in a few days and were glad to help.
View Quote

I'm pretty sure Chuck Schumer would do the same

A politician that is openly pro gun even by only verbal actions is a rarity today
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 2:19:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The Republicans who didn't repeal obama care, didn't fund the wall, and totally blocked Trump at every move? Fortunately Paul Ryan is gone and hopefully McConnell days are numbered.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BUT this wouldn't be an issue if the Republicans had repealed all the NFA bullshit when they had the House, Senate, and Presidency from 17-19.

Ironic since McConnell kept Obama from being able to implement Gun Control, and is doing the same thing to Biden, and is the person who did the most to put THREE SCOTUS Justices on the Bench in Trumps Term.  The ONE Person we can MOST credit with defeating gun control is Mitch McConnell.  

Meanwhile Trump is the one to "Thank" for the BATFE "Bump Stock" ban and the flood of copy cat crap we now face ("BATFE Bans" on Braced Pistols, Forced Reset Triggers, Solvent Traps and every other thing that BATFE dicides is now somehow "Naughty" and they do it via non-legislative bans with the force of law.

Thank God that Trump didn't get anywhere with his Nationwide "Red Flag" Laws, even though he publicly spoke very much in favor of such 2nd Amendment Restrictions.

Let's hope the Republicans can hold the line, or better yet roll it back.

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 3:11:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

They did pass the Holy Grail of GOP politics - a tax cut for corporations.  The Alpha and Omega for what's important for the establishment GOP.
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 3:06:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Ironic since McConnell kept Obama from being able to implement Gun Control, and is doing the same thing to Biden, and is the person who did the most to put THREE SCOTUS Justices on the Bench in Trumps Term.  The ONE Person we can MOST credit with defeating gun control is Mitch McConnell.  

BIGGER_HAMMER
View Quote

McConnell also stopped the Senate from considering national CCW reciprocity after it passed the House.  I do agree about the judges though.

Frankly the GOP on the national level pretty much always favors the status quo, not matter it is good or bad.  Once a POS law gets passed, the GOP will almost always refuse to repeal it.  They also have next to no interset in passing good laws, except tax cuts.

Congress hasn't passed a pro gun bill that I can recall since The Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act (PLCAA) in 2005... admittedly, that was a huge win though.
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 3:56:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

McConnell also stopped the Senate from considering national CCW reciprocity after it passed the House.  I do agree about the judges though.

Frankly the GOP on the national level pretty much always favors the status quo, not matter it is good or bad.  Once a POS law gets passed, the GOP will almost always refuse to repeal it.  They also have next to no interset in passing good laws, except tax cuts.

Congress hasn't passed a pro gun bill that I can recall since The Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act (PLCAA) in 2005... admittedly, that was a huge win though.
View Quote
They did legalize carry in National Parks, signed by Obama of all people.
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 7:23:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

A politician that is openly pro gun even by only verbal actions is a rarity today
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Edit, didn't realize this was tech.
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 9:06:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
They did legalize carry in National Parks, signed by Obama of all people.
View Quote

Thank you, I totally forgot about that!
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 10:50:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top