Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/4/2018 6:28:32 PM EDT
I have been wanting to buy a semi auto mag feed shotgun for sometime now and I keep seeing more and more new ones come out so I'm looking for advice on what is the best one on the market now? AK style better then AR style? Is there any other gas system that is better?

I'm also looking at the cost and availability of the magazines as I have seen some have  only 5 rounds mags and cost $50 each! If I can only buy 5 Rd mags I don't want them to cost a lot of money. So I'm also looking for ones that do have 10rd or higher magazines.

So what is your guys advice on  a good shotgun to get that's in this class? Also I have seen the price of many of them also and not sure of a price cut off but sure it will be under $1,200. Thanks

Edited because I did not like what I said!
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 8:15:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Really no one can put your $0.02 in to this?
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 1:27:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Buy a VEPR-12 while you still can. They're instock at a few places for around 900.

CSSpec makes some mags for them. They're not gonna be cheap though.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 1:36:27 AM EDT
[#3]
I had a Saiga 12 converted about a decade ago and haven’t looked back!
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 2:33:03 AM EDT
[#4]
I recently picked up a JTS 12 for $400. Interesting Chinese remake of the Saiga.

I plan to pick up a few more oddball varients from Atlantic.

Semi auto shotguns are interesting. Most tactical shotguns could be turned into DD's with an EO or unfriendly call to the Secretary.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 6:45:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Saiga-12.

I converted two of them from sporter configuration.  Great reliable guns. Mine are not picky about light "bulk" loads feeding either.

Academy has a CHinese knock-of of the Saiga that is under $400 but i read it feeds best with full power loads.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 12:00:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I picked up Standard Manufacturing's SKO semi-auto 12 ga. and love it so far.  It is made in the US with there upper and lower (AR Style) both being milled from solid billet aluminum.  Feeds reliably with everything from birdshot, slugs, and 00 Buck as long as the velocity is at least 1200 fps.  The manual says after the break-in period you can shoot cheap low velocity Walmart Special ammo but I have not given that a try yet.

Standard makes 5 & 10 round box magazines and just came out with a 25 round drum.  I got a half dozen 10 rounders and am using the SKO for local 3-gun matches.  Since I use an AR in matches the transition to the shotgun is seamless having the same type of platform.  I paid $46 each for the 10 round magazines from the manufacturer but you may be able to find them cheaper on Gunbroker.  It takes common chokes (comes with one skeet choke - 5 thousandths constriction) and I purchased an Improved Cylinder choke for the longer range targets at our 3-gun matches.
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 5:56:34 PM EDT
[#7]
yep i vote vepr or sko 12..... saiga if you could find a already converted SGL....  the sko gas system seems kinda rube goldberg ish, but i guess if it works?
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 6:02:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I picked up Standard Manufacturing's SKO semi-auto 12 ga. and love it so far.  It is made in the US with there upper and lower (AR Style) both being milled from solid billet aluminum.  Feeds reliably with everything from birdshot, slugs, and 00 Buck as long as the velocity is at least 1200 fps.  The manual says after the break-in period you can shoot cheap low velocity Walmart Special ammo but I have not given that a try yet.

Standard makes 5 & 10 round box magazines and just came out with a 25 round drum.  I got a half dozen 10 rounders and am using the SKO for local 3-gun matches.  Since I use an AR in matches the transition to the shotgun is seamless having the same type of platform.  I paid $46 each for the 10 round magazines from the manufacturer but you may be able to find them cheaper on Gunbroker.  It takes common chokes (comes with one skeet choke - 5 thousandths constriction) and I purchased an Improved Cylinder choke for the longer range targets at our 3-gun matches.
View Quote
I came here to say VEPR-12, but this one has my interest!
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 6:16:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Buy a VEPR-12 while you still can. They're instock at a few places for around 900.

CSSpec makes some mags for them. They're not gonna be cheap though.
View Quote
Second on a Vepr!
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 2:20:07 PM EDT
[#10]
I should have bought a Saiga-12 when they where cheap! They still the top dog?

The SKO seems nice also just seems like your paying a little more then what I have seen the Saiga-12 for that have been converted.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top