Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2018 11:10:23 PM EDT
Hello all,

I am planning on building a semi auto M3 grease gun. I have decided to gut an Ares airsoft M3 Grease Gun and somehow come up with a way to have hammer fired internals. Drawing inspiration from the Valkyrie Arms design, I might use a modified Ar15 hammer, trigger and disconnector. It has a full steel body that is stamped and welded. Heres some pictures of the Ares airsoft gun    Anyone have any advice on this?
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 12:07:12 AM EDT
[#1]
My only advice would be what type of steel are they using and is it heat treated.

I know someone around me build .22lr guns out of airsoft rifles. He's built some Assault Rifles and a couple of MGs. All 10 round mags of course and in .22lr
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 1:02:16 AM EDT
[#2]
How does one determine the type of steel?
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 1:03:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 1:19:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Shove it in a bench grinder and look at the sparks.
If it's flowing and throwing massive sparks, like a sparkler on the 4th of July, mild steel. If it's throwing sparks but not like a sparkler, it's medium carbon steel. If it's throwing fine sparks it's high carbon steel.
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 2:27:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Can mild steel be used with a proper heat treatment?
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 3:34:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Can mild steel be used with a proper heat treatment?
View Quote
in a word...No

However its a bit more complicated than just that.  I looked into doing a grease gun build a long time ago.  This was before the metal airsoft guns were out though.  I'll see if I can dig up my links
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 3:45:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Hello all,

I am planning on building a semi auto M3 grease gun. I have decided to gut an Ares airsoft M3 Grease Gun and somehow come up with a way to have hammer fired internals. Drawing inspiration from the Valkyrie Arms design, I might use a modified Ar15 hammer, trigger and disconnector. It has a full steel body that is stamped and welded. Heres some pictures of the Ares airsoft gun  https://www.popularairsoft.com/files/images/ares_greasegun_lwa.jpghttp://www.airsoft-squared.com/resources/review/1324294678758.jpg  Anyone have any advice on this?
View Quote
that paint job, build quality and warning sticker SCREAM harbor freight.
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 3:51:24 PM EDT
[#8]
The spark test:

Link Posted: 7/22/2018 5:43:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the replies guys. It will be a while before I can get to this project as I’m deployed, but I think it’s very doable.  If nothing else, I can determine if the company could perhaps make 80% unwelded shells and reunions from proper materials
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 6:17:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies guys. It will be a while before I can get to this project as I'm deployed, but I think it's very doable.  If nothing else, I can determine if the company could perhaps make 80% unwelded shells and reunions from proper materials
View Quote
Good luck. Doubt you'll get many companies interested in them though. There's not much demand for a heavy as fuck semi auto PCC or pistol even if it is a throwback to WWII.

Now with that said....you can DIY this if you should so desire. Won't be 100% accurate in the historical sense but after looking at multiple pictures of them I feel confident enough in my metal fabrication skills that I could probably replicate it. Would take a lot of time in the shop but it's doable if someone really wants one.
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 6:34:48 PM EDT
[#11]
A few guys on weapons guild have done them with the airsoft shell.  the thing with the m3 is the outer shell really doesn't have any contact with the bolt. it rides on the two rails inside the gun suspended by the end cap and the trunnion.
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 10:41:36 PM EDT
[#12]
OP, Join Weapons Guild, they are a Builders site with tons of info, they have a grease gun dedicated forum with lots of builds and info.

Time you get back you'll be all schooled up!

ETA: Grabbed this photo from a thread there about Prexis kits for building from the airsoft gun.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 5:24:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Holy crap that’s perfect! Off to weapons Guild I go....
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 10:00:34 AM EDT
[#14]
I like weapons guild, lots of "builders" there.  But WBZ is a little better.  Less traffic, but more experience.

I have lots of parts kits in boxes waiting on time and money.  I like "real" builds.  More pics please
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 10:18:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Good on you for avoiding 'open bolt.'

BATFE does not like to see that design used.

Many are all to easy to alter to full auto.
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 11:30:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I like weapons guild, lots of "builders" there.  But WBZ is a little better.  Less traffic, but more experience.

I have lots of parts kits in boxes waiting on time and money.  I like "real" builds.  More pics please
View Quote
Invite-only, from what I understand. Your post might actually be the only positive thing I've read about them so far.
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 2:56:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Invite-only, from what I understand. Your post might actually be the only positive thing I've read about them so far.
View Quote
The only negative comment I'd make is they don't cater to the new guy just looking for the easy way out.  I get it though.  Many of us learned the hard way.  Like an old pro that doesn't want to give away all of his trade secrets to the guy who just walked in the door.  If you're doing it for a living, giving away your knowledge will cost you money.
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 3:07:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not sure if it’s the same site, I was invited from Weapons Guild to join a more exclusive site that supposed themselves to be the tier 1 builders weeding out the riff raff. I posted a couple builds , but didn’t post for a while because i wasn’t building anything.
Next time I logged on my account was restricted for low post count or some such,
wasn’t my kind of place. I post when I have something to say.

I do like Weapons Guild though.
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 6:51:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:  Good on you for avoiding 'open bolt.'

View Quote
You say that as if it were a bad thing.  BATFE prohibited by regulation new semi-auto open bolts in the 70/80's as another step to infringe on our 2nd Amendment rights.
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 7:07:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Yeah, they restricted it via rulings beginning in 1982 (ATF 82-2, ATF 82-8, ATF 83-5) and it wasn't good for us.
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 7:45:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
You say that as if it were a bad thing.  BATFE prohibited by regulation new semi-auto open bolts in the 70/80's as another step to infringe on our 2nd Amendment rights.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Good on you for avoiding 'open bolt.'

It is good for him if he wants to avoid an expensive legal fight with BATFE.

YOU added the infnrgment issue.
I never mentioned anything about it.

How deep is your wallet?
Do you plan to retire and not starve?
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 12:21:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Cool idea and like some have said I think the shell could be used

if anything I am going to buy the airsoft gun to shoot in my basement lol
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top