Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/6/2023 5:16:58 PM EDT
this is not a for sale ad.  

i have accumulated a couple of 5 gallon buckets of 40 and 45 that i will most likely never use.   in the past i ahve sold some buckets for $150 to $175 each. took some time and effort though  given current brass scrap prices are around $1.75 to $2 a pound i am thinking of just scrapping it now. easier and less hassle .

So has anyone sold brass to scrappers? are there any special rules that need to be adhered to?

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 5:24:43 PM EDT
[#1]
.40 brass is becoming scarce and I'm getting ~$65/1k for 45 brass so I say but a little effort into it and sell it to someone that wants it.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 5:43:08 PM EDT
[#2]
The scrap sales laws vary by state.

In our state you need a permit to sell scrap to a dealer.

I don’t you would have any problem to sell it on the EE, you can say it is for local pickup only to keep away from shipping it.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 5:43:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I would check scrap brass prices vs prices of brass for reloading then determine which one was the way I wanted to go.   If the brass isn't already sorted into caliber, then sorting time and effort would be part of my calculation.  

Another consideration is whether the 45 ACP brass is large primer, small primer, or is the brass a mixture of large and small primers?   If someone gave me some factory fresh small primer 45 ammo, I would shoot it, but would throw the brass away after shooting it.  I really dislike small primer 45 cases,but I'm sure someone would like to have it.  The only reason I would take free small 45 cases would be to add weight to the brass being sold to a scrapper.

Sort 40 from 45, then sort large from small primer 45..That is a lot of work, so I would probably sell it for scrap.  An automatic sorting machine that would also sort large from small primer 45 cases would make it more reasonable to sell the brass for reloading, but sorting is a pain in the butt.

ETA:  Many recycling places won't accept cartridge cases because they fear having live rounds or live primers explode during melting, so that is another consideration.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 6:55:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Definitely NOT for scrap.  If you don't want to sell it right now, stick a lid on it, sort and sell later.  Try to accumulate another bucket....
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 6:59:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 6:59:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 7:01:28 PM EDT
[#7]
In our state you need a permit to sell scrap to a dealer.
View Quote

Even empty beer and soda cans?  Dafuk?
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 7:29:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Another consideration is whether the 45 ACP brass is large primer, small primer, or is the brass a mixture of large and small primers?   If someone gave me some factory fresh small primer 45 ammo, I would shoot it, but would throw the brass away after shooting it.  I really dislike small primer 45 cases,but I'm sure someone would like to have it.  The only reason I would take free small 45 cases would be to add weight to the brass being sold to a scrapper.
View Quote

A good reason to keep some small primer brass around is when the next primer shortage hits you can shoot with small or large primers
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 8:20:30 PM EDT
[#9]
You will get a lot more money selling it to someone who reloads. The only thing I sell as scrap is .22 LR, spent primers and ruined brass, everything else gets loaded and shot.

The USPS will give you priority shipping boxes delivered straight to your home for free if you set up an account with them.

The customer pays for postage.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 8:34:37 PM EDT
[#10]
The USPS will give you priority shipping boxes delivered straight to your home for free if you set up an account with them.
View Quote

This ^^^

And, USPS will also send a carrier to pick up the package, free of charge.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 8:39:51 PM EDT
[#11]
The scrap yard won’t give you brass price. They will give you the price they pay for brass ammunition cases not brass price. I’ll never scrap brass again. I got like .25 cents a pound for it.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 8:48:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Scrap yards around me won't take cartridge brass; they say they fear getting primed or loaded ammo in it.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 9:16:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The scrap yard won’t give you brass price. They will give you the price they pay for brass ammunition cases not brass price. I’ll never scrap brass again. I got like .25 cents a pound for it.
View Quote

If this was recent............. they ripped you off.

OP:
I scrap pretty much all the pistol brass I collect.  Throw it in with the various reject rifle stuff.  

About a month ago, I got 2.25/lb and just sold it- In Colorado- thats it.  

Walk in, they weigh it and give you the money.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 9:23:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
$2/lb at my place, so all my extra 9mm, 22lr and anything dirty/ugly gets scrapped. I did 300 pounds last week.
View Quote

County/town?
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 9:36:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 11:06:40 PM EDT
[#16]
$2.10/lb here at the place I use. The place right next door to them is $1.25/lb. It makes sense to call around. I have to drive about 30 miles to get to the place but it is better than the $0.75/lb at the local scrap yard in my town.

I average about 30 gal buckets a year that get scrapped. Too big of a pain in the ass anymore selling it online. And with the new rules on the online payments I don't want to get nailed for taxes. And when doing ads no one bothers to follow what you post as payment. I specifically say a USPS $ order only and always end up with a walmart or other BS one.

Scrap it and get on with your life.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 5:04:40 AM EDT
[#17]
I suppose you could go a few ways.

Definitely understand the hassle part. Given $2/lb, that's like .025/case for .45. Seems a decent deal to me. Sell it for what scrap is (or less if it saves you hassle), as some have experienced, my last scrap run was a pain. ID, no cash payment, I had to drive there, find one that paid decent, wait in line, etc. For a good enough price, a serious buyer should come to you.

Do you have a local area firearm forum? I've had really good luck with serious people on the one in my area, buying, selling and trading. Maybe you need other components....if you've got little to nothing invested in the brass, local trades should be appealing to a lot of folks.

Link Posted: 6/7/2023 6:45:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Our scrap metal place doesn’t give that much for brass. You don’t have to clean it, just separate from other metals.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top