Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/6/2018 9:07:08 AM EDT
I'm doing a remage build and wondering about recoil lugs.  The stock/chassis I want to use only accepts standard Remington 700 recoil lugs (without modification), and I don't want to mess with routing it out if I don't have to.  So my question is, for a .223 Rem is anything bigger than a standard Rem 700 recoil lug really going to help with accuracy/stability?

While we're on the subject.. I'm also considering a .308 Rem 700 build .. what's a good thickness to go with for a .308? The chassis I want for that has ample room for oversized, just wondering how crazy you need to get for a .308...

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 12:35:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 9:27:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Factory lugs are a stamped part.  As such, they are rarely true.  They have been proven to work well but why use a potentially inferior part in a build?  Aftermarket lugs are pretty cheap when compared to the cost of a quality build.

I'd suggest using a new lug with a minimum of .250".  I typically use thicker than that, true the receiver, and always plan on bedding.  Since I'll be bedding the lug anyway, I don't worry about having to chew on the lug recess in the stock.  That's a quick and easy job by itself.
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 9:02:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't suppose there's a way to true a receiver at home without buying a bunch of equipment (square the face and threads).  I don't have the $400+ bucks to be able to send it in for truing.

In my way of thinking I don't see that just squaring the face with the raceway without truing the threads is necessarily a good thing.  Without know which direction the threads are canted I think you 'could' be making it worse by squaring the face?  With remage actions, is there any knowledge to be gained by screwing the barrel in to the proper headspace and then screw the nut in till it almost touches the receiver face, and then use a feeler gauge to measure around the nut for variances? (assuming you have a quality machined nut)

All said, my plan is just to put it together and shoot it and see what happens.  If it doesn't perform then I may consider having some truing done.

My plan was to put the remage barreled action into a KRG Bravo, thinking that that chassis shouldn't need bedded?

I confirmed with KRG that a .250" lug will work, and according to PTG their parallel lugs are the same height as a standard Remington lug.  So a .250" parallel PTG lug should work.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top