Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2020 5:26:28 PM EDT
Anyone know where I can get a set?  Sure made moving a 1000lb safe easy.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 5:35:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like it's just some teflon screwed down to some wood planks to add strength and distribute the load a bit...

I could make you a set for $12,000 or so...
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 5:37:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SigOwner_P229:
Looks like it's just some teflon screwed down to some wood planks to add strength and distribute the load a bit...

I could make you a set for $12,000 or so...
View Quote

UHMW not Teflon.

Delrin would probably be better for the application though. UHMW is pretty soft. Delrin would be perfect.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 6:45:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Ok so this looks like what you are talking about.   How do I cut the stuff?   How do I taper the ends?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 6:54:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By GlocksareGood:
Ok so this looks like what you are talking about.   How do I cut the stuff?   How do I taper the ends? 

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/60593/Screenshot_20200516-184351_png-1418987.JPG
View Quote

Order from here: https://www.mcmaster.com/acetal-strips/slippery-wear-resistant-easy-to-machine-delrin-acetal-af-resin-sheets-and-strips/

And you can have it in strip and not need to really cut it very much.

But you can cut it with a regular circular saw (if your careful and go slow) or table saw and a jig saw. The more teeth the blade has, the better the cut will be. They make a special blade but it is not needed.

I usually use the waterjet and lahe/mill to make parts with it. But you can cut it the same way as acrylic sheets.

Link Posted: 5/16/2020 8:24:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 11:11:57 PM EDT
[#6]
View Quote

?  You know this is not GD right?
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 11:17:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By BLKVooDoo:

Order from here: https://www.mcmaster.com/acetal-strips/slippery-wear-resistant-easy-to-machine-delrin-acetal-af-resin-sheets-and-strips/

And you can have it in strip and not need to really cut it very much.

But you can cut it with a regular circular saw (if your careful and go slow) or table saw and a jig saw. The more teeth the blade has, the better the cut will be. They make a special blade but it is not needed. 

I usually use the waterjet and lahe/mill to make parts with it. But you can cut it the same way as acrylic sheets. 

View Quote

1" would be fine but looks like the maximum thickness is 0.093".  Not much room for a sunken screw head.  I have access to plenty of oak strips to make mine from.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 12:50:01 AM EDT
[#8]

UHMW not Teflon.

Delrin would probably be better for the application though. UHMW is pretty soft. Delrin would be perfect. 
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

UHMW not Teflon.

Delrin would probably be better for the application though. UHMW is pretty soft. Delrin would be perfect. 

Are you speaking from experience on exactly what is being used on the pictured runners or in regards to general material selection.

PTFE & UHMW have very similar properties. PTFE is slightly softer with a Shore D of high 50's for mechanical grade vs the high 60's of UHMW. But PTFE has a coefficient of friction around 1/3 of UHMW.

PTFE isn't quite as abrasion resistant but I don't suspect the OP would have any issues with that unless he is looking to move lots of safes.

The only real difference is price, PTFE is significantly more costly...

1" would be fine but looks like the maximum thickness is 0.093".  Not much room for a sunken screw head.  I have access to plenty of oak strips to make mine from.

Look for bar stock, not strips. Strips is a technical term for flat material thin enough that it can be rolled up. The thickness you need is not strip, it's flat bar stock or rectangular bar stock.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 7:03:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Got three different materials.   Which one should I use Sig?   All are 0.50" stock 36"x 1".  All sourced from professional plastics on the web.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 7:27:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Got three different materials.   Which one should I use Sig?   All are 0.50" stock 36"x 1".  All sourced from professional plastics on the web.  

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/60593/Screenshot_20200517-190130_png-1420728.JPG
View Quote

I would go with the UHMW. Good coefficient of friction, hard enough but not too hard. IMPOSSIBLE to break it (super flexible).

Delrin/acetal can be a little brittle. It's hardness is quite a bit higher than UHMW which would in theory make it last a little longer but I don't know that it actually would.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 7:40:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By SigOwner_P229:

I would go with the UHMW. Good coefficient of friction, hard enough but not too hard. IMPOSSIBLE to break it (super flexible).

Delrin/acetal can be a little brittle. It's hardness is quite a bit higher than UHMW which would in theory make it last a little longer but I don't know that it actually would.
View Quote

this.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 7:51:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks sig.  I will scavange some oak from my dad's stockpile and see if i can't build a set.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 7:59:48 PM EDT
[#13]
I used 2 hfreight 1k lb moving dollys and a 20' ratchet strap (all the way around to hold the dollys in place).  Hardest part was getting the safe on the dolly, once its strapped its a breeze to move.

Used that trick several times now between getting it in the house after the vendor dropped it off on the porch and moving a couple times and having to store the safe at a relatives for awhile. If you're rolling across carpet or gravel  I'd suggest hop scotching  2 sheets of 3/4 plywood ahead of the dollys so you dont get stuck or snap a wheel off the dolly on the carpet  BTDT

Moving dolly
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 11:27:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Out of those three options, go with the UHMW.  They use UHMW for all things that will cause friction when moving.  They line dump truck beds, steel conveyor belt systems, chutes and most anything that is sliding along metal.  I work in the plastics industry and we sell all the items mentioned.  I would use the UHMW.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top