Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/15/2018 1:11:28 PM EDT
For my 300blk I am thinking of getting an adjustable gas block for supers and subs or with and without a can.  Can the Seekins gas block be adjusted to both setting or is it like the Superlative where you set one setting and anything higher pressure is vented?
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 5:50:03 PM EDT
[#1]
The SLA has click adjustments and many positions.  I wouldn't consider buying anything else.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 7:19:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The SLA has click adjustments and many positions.  I wouldn't consider buying anything else.
View Quote
SLA?  Link please.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 7:23:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Think he means SLR
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 7:27:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Think he means SLR
View Quote
Thanks.  Just how do these adjust?  Are the hand guards in the way?
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 7:36:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
A ball socket allen wrench allows you to adjust under the hand guard...
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 7:37:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I thought he meant this one, Superlative Arms.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 7:53:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I have the SA. I almost ordered the seekins when I learned of it, but then occurred to me it wouldn't work with my hand guard.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 8:55:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
A ball socket allen wrench allows you to adjust under the hand guard...
View Quote
Ok so no different than my seekins?  I was looking for something along the lines of a FAL adjustable gas block.  Like the Q honey badger is what Im looking for.  Yeah?
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 9:15:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Apologies if this has been discussed previously, but it's new to me... I was just looking for something like the Seekins, as I would rather have a 300 Blackout that is not dependent on suppressor backpressure to operate reliably with subs.  Does it work well for that purpose?  Are there handguards that allow access, or do you just have to modify something?

I remember Kevin Brittingham talking about how the MCX was originally designed with this feature, but I guess it didn't make it into the final version.  It sounded like a neat idea, though.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 10:20:07 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a seekins on my 10.5'' 300 blk upper.  Im building a honey badger clone.  The barrel should be 6''. I cant find one so I might have one cut or use a 7.5 which is available.  Without a supressor a 6'' wont cycle without an adjustable gas block or adjustable bolt carrier.  If you just want to run a 10'' ish .300 blk upper you dont really need a adjustable anything for it to function.  If you want it to run supers and subs with the least amount of recoil you may want one.  If you want to run a supressor and tune the gun to just cycle the load your using to keep it super quiet you want one.  Adjusting one requires an allen wrench thru the hand guards.  Some give access, some dont without removing them or dremeling a access point.  Im looking for an adjustable gas block like the FAL that you can turn a knob and adjust on the fly.  I think Q is the only one doing this.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 12:29:12 AM EDT
[#11]
None of this answers my question.  I guess I didn't ask it right.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 12:59:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
I have the same question.

On their web site Seekins says it can be used for 300 Blackout.  Set it for supers, then flip it for subs.  I'm just wondering if anybody has tried it and how it works.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 1:10:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

On their web site Seekins says it can be used for 300 Blackout.  Set it for supers, then flip it for subs.  I'm just wondering if anybody has tried it and how it works.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm a huge fan of the SA block.  You can either run it restricted (like a normal adjustable block), or you can keep turning it until it's at the bleed off point that gives you good bolt velocity and similar low-back pressure to what you get in the restricted mode.  I believe this setting will work well with both supers and subs--even with the can removed.  I know of a police department that uses it because their rifles will still run if they take the suppressor off.

I'm in the process of building 300BLK SBR, but it might be a couple weeks before I have time to really finish it.  I'll be sure to post something when I do.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 1:26:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Going with the Superlative block on a 300blk with suppressor, which configuration should I set it for?  Subs & suppressed?  Would Supers unsuppressed be higher pressure?
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 1:48:47 PM EDT
[#15]
I have been using the Odin Works adjustable blocks on my Grendels and they work great, found here.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 6:28:24 PM EDT
[#16]
I don't think you guys understood the question.  The question is not which adjustable gas block to use.  It is about using a gas block that can be switched between suppressed and unsuppressed settings, or between subsonic and supersonic settings.

I like the idea because it seems the original goal of 300 Blackout (work reliably in all combinations of ammo types and suppressed/unsuppressed) is challenging to achieve without significant over-gassing.  I want my rifle to work reliably no matter whether I'm shooting supers or subs, suppressed or unsuppressed, etc. and I would be happy to flip a switch as needed to achieve that, combined with a suppressor that creates a minimal increase in backpressure.  I don't like the idea of being forced to use a high-backpressure suppressor to make subs run reliably--it offends the perfectionist part of me.

So the question is whether the Seekins switchable block works well for this purpose.

Quoted:
Going with the Superlative block on a 300blk with suppressor, which configuration should I set it for?  Subs & suppressed?  Would Supers unsuppressed be higher pressure?
View Quote
My understanding is that you set it for the scenario where the least amount of gas throughput is needed (supers / suppressed) and then flip it when more gas is needed (subs / unsuppressed), but somebody who has actually used it can verify or correct that.

My intention is to set it up to run subs and supers reliably with no suppressor, and then use a low-backpressure suppressor.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 6:53:29 PM EDT
[#17]
I was after the same thing and after Govnah was discontinued, it appears the easiest alternative is to go to a retro-fit piston system where you can change gas settings quickly. Otherwise everyone seems to use an allen wrench on the gas block.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 7:51:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Ok I get what your saying.  If you want some thing that has a switch for super/ sub  then you want a bootleg adjustable bolt carrier.  There pricey but, have 4 adjustment positions on the bolt.  Gemtec nd a few others have versions but the bootleg is cheaper and better.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 1:11:59 AM EDT
[#19]
I should include a link to the actual product so everybody knows what we're talking about:

http://www.seekinsprecision.com/parts-and-accessories/upper-accessories/select-adjustable-gas-block-876.html

I like this idea better than a typical adjustable block because you don't have to figure out where to set it each time you change it--once you set it up initially there are only two possible positions, so it's like having two phases of adjustment instead of just one.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 3:26:19 AM EDT
[#20]
That looks like a great option for .300 Blackout. I like the idea of minimal gas while running supersonics, and then easily add gas as necessary for subsonics.

It would be fairly easy to scribe or paint some reference marks for different settings; suppressed, unsuppressed, subs, & supers.

My only concern would be making sure it was easily accessible. Most .300 Blackout barrels I've seen use pistol length gas systems, or sometimes carbine length. I like long rails, so would likely need to cut an access port into the top of the rail. It should be doable, as long as the handguard is sturdy enough, though it will likely be ugly.

Any ideas for easy access under a handguard?
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 9:06:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I should include a link to the actual product so everybody knows what we're talking about:

http://www.seekinsprecision.com/parts-and-accessories/upper-accessories/select-adjustable-gas-block-876.html

I like this idea better than a typical adjustable block because you don't have to figure out where to set it each time you change it--once you set it up initially there are only two possible positions, so it's like having two phases of adjustment instead of just one.
View Quote
That looks cool I thought it was a reg gas block with a allen wrench.  (I have a seekins on a gun).  Problem like poster above said how do you access it?  For around $200 you can get the Bootleg and have 4 adjustments right on the bolt.  On the gemtec you have to remove the bolt and only get one other setting.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 9:40:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Yeah, access is one of the questions, but most people don't mount stuff on that section of a rail so it shouldn't be a big deal to have a hole big enough to stick your finger in and flip it, right?  Does anybody make a rail for that yet?

I like this idea better than a special bolt because it sends any extra gas out the end of the barrel instead of allowing it into the gas tube, and it doesn't limit the gun to a specific bolt carrier in the future.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 9:47:47 AM EDT
[#23]
This is the video I remembered seeing showing how they originally were doing it with the MCX but for some reason it didn't make it into the final version:

https://youtu.be/rkuyyNmdNrg
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 2:02:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Any of the carbine FSP cutout rails would work (on a carbine system) although it ain't gunn be pretty. Still contemplating this one. I've cut up an SLR rail before to run a FSP. This would be even easier.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 7:02:50 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm thinking that cutting two or three notches out of the top rail, hopefully matching up with one of the side cutouts, should give plenty of room. Depending on the rail and how the slots line up, I think it could look fairly decent if done right.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 7:36:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

That looks cool I thought it was a reg gas block with a allen wrench.  (I have a seekins on a gun).  Problem like poster above said how do you access it?  For around $200 you can get the Bootleg and have 4 adjustments right on the bolt.  On the gemtec you have to remove the bolt and only get one other setting.
View Quote
Can you use the bootleg with 300BO?
I read some reviews that it worked great with 556, but not so much with 300.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 10:50:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Can you use the bootleg with 300BO?
I read some reviews that it worked great with 556, but not so much with 300.
View Quote
Great question.  I asked them.  They said no.  Such a short barrel would not work. Im going to buy one for my .223 pistol and use the bolt from that for my HB build and either use a SA, or seekins switchblock.  Any one have an opinion?
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 10:10:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
I wouldn’t get the SLR. The lead springs can and do break. And if you go to their industry forum to look for examples you won’t find any. Want to know why?  They delete all of the negative threads. People say they are stand up but I’m sorry that right there tells the truth. I quit buying their stuff.

I like the Odin works but the other ones work well too.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 11:01:02 AM EDT
[#29]
I backordered the Seekins thanks to this thread. Most of the benefits of going piston without the weight for me. Hopefully they start cranking them out since it sounds like they're going on LE/mil ordered rifles.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 11:01:35 AM EDT
[#30]
I bought 2 Superlative Arms bleed-off blocks recently. 1 for a 300Blk pistol build, the other for a 5.56 16" rifle build.

With the rifle, I need to get a heavier buffer. I got it to minimal gas unsuppressed, but when putting a can on, it added more back pressure than I could vent gas (ie: ran out of "bleed-off") shooting IMI M193, with a YHM Phantom SS.  Buffer is a Geissele Super 42 spring & H1 buffer.

My 300Blk pistol uses JP SCS, and needs a lighter recoil spring, as I couldn't get bolt to lock open on empty, even with full gas (before going into "bleed-off" mode)

Chatted with SA on Facebook about all this, got some good feedback and have a solid plan moving foreward. Going to contact JP today about a spring, and order some tungsten buffer weights to add to the rifle setup.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top