Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2019 12:05:26 PM EDT
Going to start reloading soon.

I am looking for an easy to use, yet quality chronograph.

This will be used for load development for hunting and practice pistol caliber ammo.

No plans for any competition at this time just personal enjoyment. 357mag, 44mag, 45auto, and perhaps 450 bushmaster.

Reviews seem to be all over the place on a lot of these chronographs.

Was hoping to keep price below 200 but not locked into that if a few dollars makes for a better tool.

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 12:24:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Labradar.

Magnetospeed is good, but setup can be a hassle if you forget your glasses at the range.

Just a bit lower and you would have had it.

In the Precision Rifle forum there is a side by side comparison and several threads.

I originally went with the Magnetospeed.  I bought it just before the Labradar came out and it was my first chrony.  Alignment and sensitivity settings are key to good readings.  First time out it worked great.  Second time, I may have had it mis-aligned and may have set the sensitivity wrong.  I also forgot my glasses that day.  

The orange box is pricey, but it is worth saving your pennies to purchase.  I almost sold my Smith Model 41 to finance it, but glad I waited.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 12:39:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I got a open box return from Amazon for a Caldwell chronograph for around $70.

They are currently about $84.

It was cheap, but for simple load development work it is great. Takes a minute to set up if you are by yourself due to having to get the target into the shooting window, but I can usually get in 2 or 3 tries.

It comes with a cable that ties it to your phone or tablet allowing you to directly import data from the chronograph to an app that keeps track of all of your velocity results.

Amazon Product
  • ACCURACY: Each unit is factory calibrated within +/- 0.25%
  • EASE OF USE: Measures Meters per Second (MPS) and 5 to 9,999 Feet per Second (FPS)
  • VERSATILITY: Ideal for firearms, archery, airgun and paintball rifles

Link Posted: 1/10/2019 12:47:42 PM EDT
[#3]
If you get a Shooting Chrony, get the LED sky screen lamps.  I also recommend wooden dowels instead of the metal sky screen supports.

They make a world of difference.  With them, it doesn't matter what the sun is doing.  It's not for everyone, though, because it takes AC power.  I have my own range with AC power, so no big deal.

If I was starting from scratch, I'd probably save longer and get the Labradar.  It wasn't available when I bought my first or second Chrony.  (A friend shot my first one, of course)
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 1:14:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
 (A friend shot my first one, of course)
View Quote
This is a story heard all too often.  Even the rentals at the local range are gone because of being shot.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 1:23:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Applied Ballistics article to read in your spare time.  For my money the MagnetoSpeed Sporter does what I need it to do.  It is very accurate and easy to use.  The only disadvantage that efects me is that because it is attached to your muzzle, it has a strong tendency to effect POI so you can't do POI sensitive stuff and chrono the shots with the magnetospeed at the same time.

ETA:  Just re-read your OP...  you would probably be better off with an optical chrono - pick your favorite (I a fan of and have a Shooting Chrony Alpha Master that I don't use much these days - I now use a magnetospeed)...  A magnetospeed sporter would be useless if you're trying to chrono a 1911 (or almost any semo-auto pistol).
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 2:25:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I got a open box return from Amazon for a Caldwell chronograph for around $70.

They are currently about $84.

It was cheap, but for simple load development work it is great. Takes a minute to set up if you are by yourself due to having to get the target into the shooting window, but I can usually get in 2 or 3 tries.

It comes with a cable that ties it to your phone or tablet allowing you to directly import data from the chronograph to an app that keeps track of all of your velocity results.

www.amazon.com/dp/B00HTN5DTE
View Quote
OP, I have 2 of these, they match up very close velocity wise, they also on my long range hunting rounds match up dope wise...been very, very happy with them, if you get one, get the deluxe kit, the tripod is cheap and flimsy but it works fine, but it includes the light kit...For X-mas the kids went together and got me a labradar, but it will be a while before I can actually line it up with the Caldwells and shoot over both to compare..but I wouldn't hesitate to keep using the Caldwell...
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 2:40:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Optical chronos frequently get a bad rap around here, and that's somewhat understandable.  However, if you apply very consistent methods and practices, the results can be quite reliable and consistent.

I use a Competition Electronics Pro Chrono which was very affordable.  One component not often harped on is the tripod.  I think this is one element often overlooked.  A good foundation is key.

Most tripods used by many are flimsy and are not easily adjusted for height and angle.  Spend the money to get a very solid, sturdy tripod that has smooth angle adjustment and a crank setup the allows easy, smooth height adjustment.

Always use the sky screens and maintain a consistent bullet path height above the sensors by using tape or such on both sets of rods.  Shoot across that same point on the rods and insure those points are parallel.

Always maintain the same distance from the muzzle to the chrono...adjusting appropriately per manufacturer recommendations between pistol and rifle testing.

I set my chrono up to also test accuracy at the same time.  This requires more precise putzing and fiddling, but it kills two birds with one stone and sometimes adds a helpful diagnostic element at this time.

Don't use an optical chrono in obviously poor or dramatically changing light conditions.  While I think most of these chronos have a wider latitude than some give them credit, don't push it to extremes.

Before checking your test rounds, take the time to find a factory load that produces consistent numbers on your chrono.  I always start a test session with one or more of these rounds to check for odd or erratic readings.  You don't have to use expensive match ammo, but just find something that provides a decently consistent result.

Keep a good battery...if so equipped...for obvious reasons.

One thing that is consistent in most of these statements is...well...consistency.  Setup, measurements, conditions, etc., are critical and that probably with any chrono.  The optical chrono is probably more sensitive to these issues.

You don't just slap one on a cheap tripod and start shooting through them willy-nilly.  You may get results, you just won't get consistent results.

With money not being an object, I'd probably go with a Lab Radar.  But so far, I have been very pleased with the results of my chrono.  If it had been troublesome and yielding questionable results, I'd drop it like a hot potato.  Mine has done very well.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 2:59:20 PM EDT
[#8]
If I had the money to burn I'd get the Labradar. I can use one at my local range and it's awesome. Easy to set up, works great. I haven't delved into the various features as I haven't really had the time but for testing handloads it's been great. I just snap a pic of the data.

I did use a magneto speed once but it was a hassle and doesn't seem that much cheaper than the Labradar.

I bought a Caldwell and when I'm at the public range it's what I use. When the light is right it works fine, but make sure it's far enough (probably as far as the cable allows) from the muzzle as I've had issues with goofy readings when too close. It's kind of a pain to set up too. No hard, just takes a bit of time.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 3:36:38 PM EDT
[#9]
I've had a CED M2 for many years now, and I have no complaints about it.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 5:17:53 PM EDT
[#10]
I went with a shooting chrony and I really like it.  The key thing I have noticed is the distance is crucial especially with rifles, too close and the readings will be sporadic.  Also get one with a remote display that way when your brother (or whoever) shoots it the replacement cost will be a little less since the display was safely on the bench.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 8:15:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Buy once, cry once.. Lab Radar...  I struggled with opticals for a long time, lab radar completed me..
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 9:43:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Lab radar for sure.
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 8:13:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Have an Oehler 35P.  Gold Standard for chronographs.  Have had it over 20 years and has greatly expanded my enjoyment of shooting and reloading.

https://oehler-research.com/
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 8:46:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the reply’s. Very helpful info, much appreciated.

The labradar unit looks like the way to go.
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 10:08:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Check eBay for an oehler 35p. The best optical chronograph made.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 2:18:54 AM EDT
[#16]
I've had a pro chrony for four years with zero complaints.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 2:57:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Have an Oehler 35P.  Gold Standard for chronographs.  Have had it over 20 years and has greatly expanded my enjoyment of shooting and reloading.

View Quote
Meh, For less money he can get a Labrador and get measurements from the muzzle to 100 yards...and doesn't have to deal with a major setup ordeal every time he wants to shoot..Heck he can setup and takedown on a hot range...
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 12:14:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Have an Oehler 35P. Gold Standard for chronographs. Have had it over 20 years and has greatly expanded my enjoyment of shooting and reloading.

View Quote
There are valid arguments against that statement now that doppler systems are commercially available, namely the Ladradar. Once you account for ease of use, I don't think it makes much sense to spend that kind of money on an optical chronograph anymore.

Quoted:
Check eBay for an oehler 35p. The best optical chronograph made.
View Quote
This is still true, but with the introduction and subsequent success of the Labradar, optical chronographs are on their way out, IMO. Like any new tech, competition will enter the market, prices will drop on doppler units and optical chronos and all their foibles will drop by the wayside. Spending $500+ on one today seems like a mistake.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 12:38:25 PM EDT
[#19]
I've had the Caldwell chronograph for some time.  When it works it works well.  Outdoor lighting and position can affect its accuracy and repeatability.

When it's cantankerous or the Sun doesn't want to play nice...you'll want to throw the bitch out the window on the drive home.

I bought a Labradar a month or so ago and now wished I'd done it much sooner.

It's pricey and it can be fragile, but it's a damn nice piece of technology for the handloader.  I've had no issues using it at the range.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 1:13:28 PM EDT
[#20]
If you just want something to use that is super easy and accurate enough for your needs. I recommend this combo. It is what I use and I love it. The bluetooth works very well and the app is great for doing post shooting analysis.

Amazon Product
  • Store 9 shot strings with up to 99 shots each in power down memory
  • Review each velocity and shot string data which includes average velocity, standard deviation, and extreme spread.
  • Delete an individual shot or entire string with the touch of a button.

Amazon Product
  • Works with prochrono
  • Connects to mobile device wirelessly
  • Free app for newer Apple devices and Android

Link Posted: 1/12/2019 1:37:41 PM EDT
[#21]
The CED is the gold standard for opticals.

The labradar takes the cake for ease of use, but it is more than double your budget and a definite luxury.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 10:00:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The labradar takes the cake for ease of use, but it is more than double your budget and a definite luxury.
View Quote
I agree.  It took a while to part with the money, but it's well worth it in my opinion.

Not having to fiddle with sunshades, walking downrange, changing multiple battery packs out (lights and chrono), etc. make it worthwhile.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 10:20:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
If you just want something to use that is super easy and accurate enough for your needs. I recommend this combo. It is what I use and I love it. The bluetooth works very well and the app is great for doing post shooting analysis.

www.amazon.com/dp/B0028MTBJ4www.amazon.com/dp/B00Y9QVZDC
View Quote
I run the same setup as well using an Amazon tripod.  Works great, but I definitely plan to upgrade to a Lab Radar one day.  The set up time for a standard chronograph rig gets old real fast.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 1:08:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I agree.  It took a while to part with the money, but it's well worth it in my opinion.

Not having to fiddle with sunshades, walking downrange, changing multiple battery packs out (lights and chrono), etc. make it worthwhile.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It took a long time for me too.  But now that I did drop the coin for the Labradar I wished I would have done it sooner.  I figured that I have lots of guns I rarely if ever shoot, but use my chronograph all the time.  Even if I had to sell a gun to pay for something I use all the time, it's worth it.  I got mine on a good sale, and didn't have to sell stuff.  I wanted to wait until the tech got cheaper, but got tired of load development with all the setup.  Especially if I only need a couple quick readings.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 3:30:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Thanks for the reply's. Very helpful info, much appreciated.

The labradar unit looks like the way to go.
View Quote
If you can afford one, it's top shelf.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 4:37:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
This is a story heard all too often.  Even the rentals at the local range are gone because of being shot.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
 (A friend shot my first one, of course)
I recently shot one of the sky screen rods on my ProChrono.  Was using a scope. Add the sun rising and glaring out my eyes and the front lens of the scope. I scootched my shooting brace and rifle over a tad to lessen this.  The scope blurred the rod in the foreground, still had some lens blur from the sun and I shot one of the rods in two. I'm working to change the rods to wood dowels...black/white striped wood dowels.  :)
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 4:56:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Optical chronos frequently get a bad rap around here, and that's somewhat understandable.  However, if you apply very consistent methods and practices, the results can be quite reliable and consistent.

I use a Competition Electronics Pro Chrono which was very affordable.  One component not often harped on is the tripod.  I think this is one element often overlooked.  A good foundation is key.

Most tripods used by many are flimsy and are not easily adjusted for height and angle.  Spend the money to get a very solid, sturdy tripod that has smooth angle adjustment and a crank setup the allows easy, smooth height adjustment.

Always use the sky screens and maintain a consistent bullet path height above the sensors by using tape or such on both sets of rods.  Shoot across that same point on the rods and insure those points are parallel.

Always maintain the same distance from the muzzle to the chrono...adjusting appropriately per manufacturer recommendations between pistol and rifle testing.

I set my chrono up to also test accuracy at the same time.  This requires more precise putzing and fiddling, but it kills two birds with one stone and sometimes adds a helpful diagnostic element at this time.

Don't use an optical chrono in obviously poor or dramatically changing light conditions.  While I think most of these chronos have a wider latitude than some give them credit, don't push it to extremes.

Before checking your test rounds, take the time to find a factory load that produces consistent numbers on your chrono.  I always start a test session with one or more of these rounds to check for odd or erratic readings.  You don't have to use expensive match ammo, but just find something that provides a decently consistent result.

Keep a good battery...if so equipped...for obvious reasons.

One thing that is consistent in most of these statements is...well...consistency.  Setup, measurements, conditions, etc., are critical and that probably with any chrono.  The optical chrono is probably more sensitive to these issues.

You don't just slap one on a cheap tripod and start shooting through them willy-nilly.  You may get results, you just won't get consistent results.

With money not being an object, I'd probably go with a Lab Radar.  But so far, I have been very pleased with the results of my chrono.  If it had been troublesome and yielding questionable results, I'd drop it like a hot potato.  Mine has done very well.
View Quote
I use that same chrono. Aside from recently shooting one of the sky screen rods I have not been happy with it for my rifle reloading. To me, it becomes less reliable/accurate with projectiles above 1500 fps.  Seems fairly accurate for pistol calibers and dead accurate for arrow speeds, but once it gets above 1500 fps it gets flakey.  An example was testing some 300 bo super loads last weekend.  I recall shooting strings of five shots in (what should have been about 2100 fps) that the first shot of 2075 registered, but the following four read the same exact fps. That indicated to me that it only read the first shot. This happened twice. Conditions were supposedly ideal for the sensors (screens on and under a bright covered awning, no direct sunlight) and the chrono was about 15' downrange.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 6:15:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

www.amazon.com/dp/B0028MTBJ4www.amazon.com/dp/B00Y9QVZDC
View Quote
Now they have the DLX for like $130. I love mine. The app really makes it super user-friendly.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 10:29:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Buy once, cry once.. Lab Radar...  I struggled with opticals for a long time, lab radar completed me..
View Quote
This.

Easy to set up to test for accuracy and speed at the same time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top